Do Not Sell My Personal Information

rav4 sat navslow

Daniel donnelly

Hi I am new to this didnt even know there was a club anyway woder if someone could help me with this. i have the new Rav4 hybrid something not quite right with the satnav while using it on a journey it missed the timing what i mean iswhen it came up to the turn off it told me to turn after i passed it eventually turned it of and used my phone becaused i missed to many turns and had to keep doing uturns

Daniel, this can happen if the car's GPS is unable to get a good multi signal lock, the commands are delayed whilst it works out where it is.  It can sometimes happen if there are a number of quick turns, but will usually tell you in advance what the sequence of turns are.  If you'r driving faster than the current GPS signal can cope with.  Location and weather can influence the GPS performance but it could possibly be a GPS aerial issue.

Do you have Android Auto or Apple CarPlay, your car is a 2020 so I think should have, then try one of them? this will use the phone's GPS so give you a better idea of where the issue might be.

It might well be that the Toyota Navigation system is a bit slow 'by design' i always use Android Auto, no issues.

Hy thank you both for your answer i appreciate it. I didnt know there was a club like this so thank you can i also ask what is Android Auto i have never heard of it where do i find it and how would i use it you probably gathered that i am not very tec savy i am 73yrs but no excuse i do appreciate the help.

thank you

Daniel, I’m older than you and Android Auto is easy to use.  Basic requirement you need a smart phone either Android or Apple based operating system.  I have a Samsung which uses the Google Android operating system, Android Auto is an app that allows you to connect the phone via a USB cable and enable the Android Auto Navigation system.  The Toyota manual tells you how to set this up, in my case it was just plug the phone in and following the prompts on the cars head unit.

11 hours ago, Daniel donnelly said:

Hi I am new to this didnt even know there was a club anyway woder if someone could help me with this. i have the new Rav4 hybrid something not quite right with the satnav while using it on a journey it missed the timing what i mean iswhen it came up to the turn off it told me to turn after i passed it eventually turned it of and used my phone becaused i missed to many turns and had to keep doing uturns

The built-in sat nav is normally pretty good. It alerts to upcoming turns in more than enough time - it often seems rather early to me and once or twice has 'encouraged' me to turn before I should. It places a turn and distance count down indicator on the multi-function display - clearly showing the direction of the turn and the distance to run so it is very easy to "get it right". And then it amusingly gives the audio equivalent of "turn now!" a second or so after I have executed the turn that it has been asking me to take for the past minute or three.

It may well be that you are simply more used to using your 'phone that your new RAV. It's unlikely to be a GPS issue but you can simply check that the car knows accurately where it is - if it does, then GPS is working fine. (Years ago I have had 'satellite' issues with a TomTom - in Scotland as it happens - that placed the car a couple of miles from where it actually was, which meant that the navigation directions were utter rubbish until the situation was resolved). If the car can't see the satellites, its unlikely that your 'phone would either.

My understanding is that In general terms you need to be locked onto 4 satellites to give some degree of accuracy this is called trilateration.  The first satellite locates somewhere on a sphere, the second narrows that down to an intersection of the two spheres. The third reduces this to a possibility of two possible points and the forth helps complete the calculation of timing and location. 
In built up areas it’s possible that a line of sight to the various satellites can be blocked this is also true in more rural areas where dense foliage, in a valley or near a mountain can reduce the lock possibilities.

I’ve owned a number of GPS handhelds over the years and I’m impressed on generally just how well the systems work and hold lock (the handhelds have a polar display of the available and in use satellites) I’ve very often seem the 12 receivers in the handheld acquire lock but also seen my track move to show me walking in the next field, it happens.

Interestingly, the MyT app nearly always show my park and few houses down the road.

Yes this is exactly something I have complained about in previous posts. Its a poor system and doesn't have anything like the sophistication shown by the other electronics built in to the car. Not only is it slow but the user interface is unfriendly and map displays frequently lack enough detail to even show the road you are on. In truth its about the only thing on the car that I have serious cause to complain about.

I'm not convinced it is the best and I felt that the interface on the 4.4 was better than on the 4.5 except on a motorway where the 4.5 shows the distance to the next few junctions.

As for being slow, I am used to this and learnt years ago to watch the screen rather than wait for the voice prompt. I had an Auris Tourer from 2014 that was always 50 yards late on turns. The dealer thought that there was a fix but it never made any difference.

Maybe there is a margin of error in all nav devices - a Garmin I was using in one car told me to 'turn right' where there was no road, only a field !.

I'm hoping that when I get Android Auto in September at the service I might have something a little more accurate.