Do Not Sell My Personal Information

how to prevent the car "seeing" the trailer when reversing, the "bleeping" is distracting and annoying.

Marcusthehat

On a 2021 Rav4 with 13 pin towbar electrics.

I have been informed by the dealership that I must cancel and recancel using the "ok" button each and every time reverse is selected.

Which is downright irksome and frustrating when reversing in an akward place with multiple fore and aft movements required, and with the steering wheel being rotated the "ok" button takes time to find each time!.

Why does the "smart" 13 pin electrics not allow the car to recognise the trailer is there, and cancel the reversing sensors. (Like VAG cars do for instance.)

Other than that the car is an absolute joy to drive, and showing 57mpg over the first 1000+ miles. Though only local "pootling", not main road/higher speed driving.

Marcus,the hat

You can turn the Toyota parking assist-sensor on or off - and it remains on or off until you change the setting again so that you can eliminate the feature completely while towing a trailer. (Page 147 of my version of the owners manual)

Philip,

Thank you, but it was the reversing sensors, not the parking assist function that is my gripe.

I have been through the User Guide multiple times and neither "towing" nor "reversing" get any coverage, bar a very scant and  generic "be careful' in the driving section.

Cheers,

Marcus

Have you downloaded the full owners manual from MyToyota, which may cover towing/reversing?

1 hour ago, philip42h said:

You can turn the Toyota parking assist-sensor on or off - and it remains on or off until you change the setting again so that you can eliminate the feature completely while towing a trailer. (Page 147 of my version of the owners manual)

38 minutes ago, Marcusthehat said:

Philip,

Thank you, but it was the reversing sensors, not the parking assist function that is my gripe.

I have been through the User Guide multiple times and neither "towing" nor "reversing" get any coverage, bar a very scant and  generic "be careful' in the driving section.

Cheers,

Marcus

Um ... these are the same sensors ... the parking assist-sensors at the back are what you are calling "reversing sensors" ...

In earlier version of the RAV4 there was a physical switch, normally positioned in the boot, to switch the sensors off. The control is now in the settings accessible via the steering wheel.

I was aware that the reversing sensors would be used as part of the park assist function, since this is  simply obvious. Which park assist function we do not have afaiaa.

Anyway I had figured out that I could "switch off" the bleeping with the "ok" button.

Each and every time.

And the dealership had suggested the switch in the boot for the older models. And later said they had two other newer cars with the same complaint or query re the incessant bleeping.

But it appears I will need to learn to live with this strange foible.

Thank you.

Marcus.

I use the OK button to temporarily disable the the sensors especially when I’m parking and there is a hedge or fence and the stop. It’s especially useful when I get in and start the car as the sensor bangs away before I have time to get the car in gear.

Having not got a towbar on my RAV4 i'm surprised that plugging in a cable into the socket, doesn't disable the parking sensors as it has done on all my other cars, Mondeo, Yeti, CX-5.
Seems Toyota, aren't the most advanced when it comes to the little things.

• Thanks 1

There should be an option to disable the sensors in the MID (gauge cluster display) with the wheel controls

Page 593, RTCA p369, Park Assist p384

https://d24bc9lyrt5en5.cloudfront.net/Customer-Portal-Admin/emanuals/TOYOTA/OM42D32E.pdf

552173726_21rav4tpa.thumb.jpg.ee596cddf63240c9cdc58e859c44e561.jpg

Edit. I would give PF Jones a call they will tell you if it needs coding / dealer programming

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

This annoyed me also, especially when I purchased Toyotas very expensive tailgate, £700+. On other cars they have recognised you have a trailer connected and in some cases show a picture on the dash having a trailer sign showing plug is connected well. Not good Toyota.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Glad tis not just I, that find this particular Toyota "quirk" rather unsatisfactory.

Other than that very very very pleased with the vehicle.

And still showing 55mpg over 3500 miles.

Due to the nature of my/our retired driving I rarely bust 50mph mind.

The daughter borrowed the car for a 100 mile round trip run to Belfast and pushed the figures down somewhere nearer 40mpg!(or it might have been sub 49?)

cheers all

marcus

P.S.

I really like the fully automatic headlights function with the auto dipping, and still getting used to the speed limiter though I still tend to expect it to behave like the CC and therefore take my foot off the throttle.