Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris 2018 DRL

gerar

Hey to all, just wanted to open this topic about the DRL lights. My car is the 2018 petrol model.

During the second year my left DRL started to fade on the upper line of the Y shaped led. A couple of weeks later it went off completely.

These led light beside the DRL function also operates as the front/first position lights.

Untitled.thumb.png.36c992a469779038ea361c5c0c4aa437.png

The car dealership said that it was very strange and the technician especially said that this was his first time to see the led failing so soon. Anyway the guarantee covered it up but the most peculiar thing was that those led lights are not replaceable and the whole left headlight had to be replaced!!!

s-l500.thumb.jpg.5ca6e04f37a7bf84debfa6d038245796.jpg

The last couple of weeks i noticed that the right DRL started to fade also on the upper line. Of course the guarantee has expired and this time i must pay for the headlight.

The situation is that i got my left DRL failing off in 2 years and my right in 3 1/2 years. So whats the deal with these things?

Keep in mind that we are not talking about a simple bulb/led replacement but about the whole headlight and if these are known for wearing off are we supposed to pay every 3 years for the replacement of both headlight?!? What were they thinking there in Toyota.

I would like to hear your opinion about this, thanks.

Toyota aren't the only manufacturer where LED DRLs which are integrated into the headlight unit, require replacement of whole unit  in the event of failure. Having said that, failure at 2 -4  years seems rare. The same with high level LED brake lights.

Where are you in the world?

Just wondering if it's climate related, such as hot sun plus convection in the assembly cooking the top row of LEDs.

Also, you should ask about a warranty replacement given that it appears that both units were faulty during the warranty period, but only one expired. You might get lucky.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Toyota aren't the only manufacturer where LED DRLs which are integrated into the headlight unit, require replacement of whole unit  in the event of failure. Having said that, failure at 2 -4  years seems rare. The same with high level LED brake lights.

Yes i know, but most of them i think are for the LED brake lights, where if some of those small leds burned out you got to replace the whole headlight.

But again i guess you can leave with that for a small amount of time, on the contrary the front lights are more important in driving.

My thoughts firstly were like so what? I leave them both DRL till they burned off completely, but since the front/first position lights are also implemented on them it would be like driving at night only with my HIR2 lamps.

So do you think that it was a rare occasion? The truth is that I have seen a  lot of cars on the road with the same problem.

Do you know what is supposed to be the life expectancy of these DRL?

1 hour ago, MikeSh said:

Where are you in the world?

Just wondering if it's climate related, such as hot sun plus convection in the assembly cooking the top row of LEDs.

Also, you should ask about a warranty replacement given that it appears that both units were faulty during the warranty period, but only one expired. You might get lucky.

Italy, as the matter of fact the couple of last months it was very hot.

But on the other hand my first DRL failure occurred in winter.

Our 2016 Aygo and our previous 2015 i20 (replaced last year with a 2020) each have/had LED DRL's within the headlight cluster, and no problem with those - so they lasted us five years at least.

In the UK there are several models from various manufacturers with LED DRL's within the headlight unit - Fiesta, i20, Seat Ibiza, Skoda Fabia, etc.

1 hour ago, gerar said:

Also, you should ask about a warranty replacement given that it appears that both units were faulty during the warranty period

2 hours ago, gerar said:

The last couple of weeks i noticed that the right DRL started to fade also on the upper line.

In Italy the new car warranty would be three years/100,000km, so the right DRL would be failing outside the warranty. You could approach Toyota Italy re a possible goodwill repair.

1 hour ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

so they lasted us five years at least

A five years duration would be fine with me, but having lasted 2 years the first one and 3 1/2 the second i am really upset about the quality of these DRL.

Maybe i was so lucky that i got a faulty pair, who knows.

• 2 years later...

Have same problem with 2018 Yaris, dealer quoted 700 and Toyota Relax warranty does not cover lights

• Sad 1