Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Which should I buy, Yaris or AYGO?

Iamdanreynolds

Hello everyone

I'm currently torn between buying a Yaris or AYGO

I'll be using the vehicle for driving to and from work (20miles) and on an off during work to visit client's homes. A lot of the driving will be in the city, however as we are based around Norfolk I will also be doing a fair amount of driving in the country lanes and by the coast.

I've been looking at getting used Yaris around the age of 2008-2011 with low milage, I've also been looking at something similar with an AYGO.

My question is, which would be the most practical and reliable for my usage?

Thank you in advance,

Dan

Welcome to the forum Dan.

Is that 20 mile return journey or each way?  will you be carrying co-workers?

what about usage outside of work?  Carrying a family?  Longer journeys to see family/friends?

Can you add more detail?

Aygo of that age is going to be quite small.

We had a 2009 Yaris 1.33 for a few years and it was a decent size. 

Yaris will be smoother with extra cylinder and better made. Aygo really light so will feel faster than it is. All down to personal taste.

22 minutes ago, Al D said:

Yaris will be smoother with extra cylinder and better made. Aygo really light so will feel faster than it is. All down to personal taste.

Depends which engine in the Yaris. 1.0 is the same as the Aygo. Other engines would be the 1.3, or 1.33 petrol, or 1.4D diesel. 

4 hours ago, flash22 said:

Auto or manual ?

Most likely manual. I'm based in the UK and have always driven manual. 

3 hours ago, Catlover said:

Welcome to the forum Dan.

Is that 20 mile return journey or each way?  will you be carrying co-workers?

what about usage outside of work?  Carrying a family?  Longer journeys to see family/friends?

Can you add more detail?

Thanks!

20 miles each way, so 40 miles plus occasional driving driving during working hours in the city and country lanes.

We will have a larger family car so mostly used for work purposes and rarely be used out of working hours.

3 hours ago, Yugguy1970 said:

Aygo of that age is going to be quite small.

We had a 2009 Yaris 1.33 for a few years and it was a decent size. 

I've heard by many that the 1.33 is a good choice for the Yaris.

5 hours ago, Iamdanreynolds said:

Hello everyone

I'm currently torn between buying a Yaris or AYGO

I'll be using the vehicle for driving to and from work (20miles) and on an off during work to visit client's homes. A lot of the driving will be in the city, however as we are based around Norfolk I will also be doing a fair amount of driving in the country lanes and by the coast.

I've been looking at getting used Yaris around the age of 2008-2011 with low milage, I've also been looking at something similar with an AYGO.

My question is, which would be the most practical and reliable for my usage?

Thank you in advance,

Dan

Hi Dan welcome to the forum. From all of the above information you have provided, I would recommend a petrol Yaris, a 1.0litre or a 1.33 litre they are both very good cars and suitable for the mileage and type of daily driving you will be doing. Good luck with your search. Take all the usual precautions when buying a used car.

Probably best with a petrol (though I had a 2009 Yaris 6 speed diesel I loved), and the Yaris will give a more refined ride. So which ever is the better engine between the 1.3 and 1.33.

Just had a week holiday in Norfolk, based in Thetford (Premier Inn).but we moved about a bit,  best place we liked was Swaffham.

The Aygo being a 1.0 means your going to be changing gear a lot, the Yaris is better put together 1.3 or 1.5, you may be able to find a Mk3 depending on your budget

the Yaris is more comfortable car access is better, go drive a few there are plenty about

Yes the 1.33 was a willing engine, not turbo so needs working but revs easily and freely.

If you didn't need to go into cities I'd have given the 1.4 diesel Yaris a shout - It's super efficient, the engine is super reliable and the pull of the engine makes it a joy to drive. All the petrol ones feel painfully gutless by comparison. However with the demonization of diesels they're probably going to be banned or at least heavily penalized from most cities in the near future so recommending them is hard.

If you're going to be on A-roads or motorways regularly the 1.3/1.33 is a better engine to go for as it has that bit more power.

However, I had a 2009 1.33 Yaris with a 6-speed and it's been the most unreliable car I've owned; It was burning half a litre of oil a month, the AC system was completely shot and I even had the gearbox fail on me! I might have just been unlucky, but if I could do it again I'd have gone for the slightly older 1.3 with the 5-speed, or a Mk1 1.3 Yaris instead of the Mk2. If you do opt for the 1.33 6-speed, a newer version will hopefully be more reliable; 2009 was the first year that saw the 1.33 6-speed - I went with it as that is the last year model that kept the lovely digital dash; All later models went back to using dials for some reason.

The Aygo is very nippy but feels really gutless at speed - You have to be willing to rev the nuts off the engine to get it to shift, but luckily it's a lightweight jappy 3-pot so it loves being revved! I had one as a courtesy car for a while but it's really barebones compared to the Yaris. If you're going to be in it a lot, a Yaris is a nicer place to be.

If cost is the primary concern tho', an Aygo is probably the better choice!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you are having more than 2 in the car often I would go for the Yaris. Also the Aygo boot is very small. You will get better mpg from the Aygo though!

I would go for the Yaris. The Aygo had problems with clutches, until they were fitted with slightly beefier ones. 2008-2011 might fall in that time period of the problem clutches, so that's something to consider when buying an Aygo. @FROSTYBALLS will know the year when they uprated the clutches.

Also, I think the Yaris has better build quality all round. I've driven a friend's Yaris, which is the same year as my Aygo and it just feels more solid, with less rattles and tinniness. That's just my opinion, but if I were to go back in time, I would have bought a Yaris instead of my Aygo.

Yaris is bigger and better by all means. Aygo’s are exclusively city cars and suitable for new drivers as low insurance bracket, popular choice for food delivery drivers too. , they are noisier, bumpier and less refined small cars., if in good condition fun to drive though. Yaris 1.3 or 1.5 will be better choice overall. 
Good luck 👍

40 minutes ago, fordulike said:

will know the year when they uprated the clutches.

The larger clutch from the Yaris became standard on the Aygo from cars built in 2009.

Some have mentioned the 1.5 engine - the second generation Yaris (2006-2011) the OP is considering didn't have this, so petrol engines were 1.0, 1.3, 1.33 and, for a period, 1.8.

I forgot to say, if considering the Aygo, the VW Up! and Hyundai i10 are also really good cars in the same segment.

• 2 weeks later...

Never owned one, but the VW Up! seemed a great car! I actually considered getting one before I found the Yaris, but the ASG gearbox left a LOT to be desired (the way the VW auto would change gears would get old quickly, especially under hard acceleration).

I suggest going for a manual if shopping for an older car.

My personal experience of automatics and reliability (even from new) has been far less than great, and even automatic gearboxes on cars built today still seem quite unreliable with some serious issues. My OH likes Renault, but the issues with their hybrids seem pretty significant (why why why is everyone putting automatic gearboxes on their hybrids?) but I've persuaded her to go to the dark side and get a Toyota. 😈😎

On 8/3/2021 at 6:05 AM, YarisHybrid2016 said:

Never owned one, but the VW Up! seemed a great car! I actually considered getting one before I found the Yaris, but the ASG gearbox left a LOT to be desired (the way the VW auto would change gears would get old quickly, especially under hard acceleration).

I suggest going for a manual if shopping for an older car.

My personal experience of automatics and reliability (even from new) has been far less than great, and even automatic gearboxes on cars built today still seem quite unreliable with some serious issues. My OH likes Renault, but the issues with their hybrids seem pretty significant (why why why is everyone putting automatic gearboxes on their hybrids?) but I've persuaded her to go to the dark side and get a Toyota. 😈😎

Toyota hybrids has the best hybrid system and the best auto transmission from all makes. Anything from 2010 and above Toyota hybrid is way better than any other car make when we are talking about automatic transmission and reliability, plus the way they drives , definitely unrivalled.