Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Water in drivers side footwell

asjc 123

Greetings all.

hope someone can be of help. 2015 auris touring, during really heavy rain, water is coming in just above the accelerator pedal , I think it's the scuttle drain that is blocked.

can someone tell me where exactly I can find this please?  Assume I need to take the plastic windscreen panel off first? Many thanks adam

As nobody has replied I will try to help the scuttle is the cover at the bottom of the windscreen usually under the wiper arms.

you will have to remove the wiper arms lift them of the windscreen then lift up the protective cap which covers the retaining nut remove the nut then attempt to remove the wiper arms I usually find it easier to lift them off while they are raised you may have to put a screwdriver under the hinge and gently leaver them up they are tight on the spindles. Then lift the bonnet and you should see various plastic rivets and maybe a couple of screws that retain the scuttle cover to the bulkhead push the head of the rivet down which should release it then gently leaver them out with a small screwdriver remove the cover and clean out any muck that has accumulated.

then 

• Like 1

Many thanks Rosgoe, this is what i have now done, there was some debris in the channels so hope that is that.  I was surprised that there didnt seem to be any actual drain holes, that i could find, on other cars there normally is.  anyway, pored a load of water over it and it seems to be draining out now.  will have to dry the car out and replace insulation once sure its fixed.  many thanks again

My car is previous generation Auris and has a drainage canals under these plastic trims under the wiper arms mechanism, when heavy rain and you are inside the car you can clearly hear a lots of water falling down the drains, it’s like house gutter drain. Parking under trees usually block these drain canals. I have never opened myself there but my car is clean. Glad you sorted out your one 👌

• Like 1

On 7/26/2021 at 9:35 PM, Rosgoe said:

As nobody has replied I will try to help the scuttle is the cover at the bottom of the windscreen usually under the wiper arms.

you will have to remove the wiper arms lift them of the windscreen then lift up the protective cap which covers the retaining nut remove the nut then attempt to remove the wiper arms I usually find it easier to lift them off while they are raised you may have to put a screwdriver under the hinge and gently leaver them up they are tight on the spindles. Then lift the bonnet and you should see various plastic rivets and maybe a couple of screws that retain the scuttle cover to the bulkhead push the head of the rivet down which should release it then gently leaver them out with a small screwdriver remove the cover and clean out any muck that has accumulated.

Hi again, do you know if there is an actual drain hole or is it the channels under the wiper arms?  i thought i had it done but appears not , having to drive about with the side covers off and electrics exposed is upsetting the family...tee hee.

it seems that the water is falling lower ( behind the bonnet hinges) than the gutter things seem to be as they are above. have poked and prodded everywhere but am still failing to sort.  any more ideas please?  many thanks in advance

then 

On 7/27/2021 at 10:30 AM, asjc 123 said:

I was surprised that there didnt seem to be any actual drain holes,

You've likely gone beyond this now, but from when I took one apart some years ago, the water drains away where the arrows point (from memory!).  It is interesting the debris that had collected on the drivers side (this is just visible in the second picture). 

I can't remember why I unbolted the black steel panels - probably because I could(!), but the next level of drainage holes are underneath these panels, feeding into the wing area, it seems. (Shown without these panels fitted in pictures three and four.)

P1150716.thumb.JPG.13120ae3bf94d229ec4313e6ba326055.JPG

P1150728.thumb.JPG.a700cb4a20b8dfc0171b24090ef8cd86.JPG

P1150732.thumb.JPG.d02d0c0e3054c0c70705bc3a3aa1ce5c.JPG

P1150738.thumb.JPG.b891aa4856c0dbd006017313281e9de5.JPG

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gerg said:

You've likely gone beyond this now, but from when I took one apart some years ago, the water drains away where the arrows point (from memory!).  It is interesting the debris that had collected on the drivers side (this is just visible in the second picture). 

I can't remember why I unbolted the black steel panels - probably because I could(!), but the next level of drainage holes are underneath these panels, feeding into the wing area, it seems. (Shown without these panels fitted in pictures three and four.)

P1150716.thumb.JPG.13120ae3bf94d229ec4313e6ba326055.JPG

P1150728.thumb.JPG.a700cb4a20b8dfc0171b24090ef8cd86.JPG

P1150732.thumb.JPG.d02d0c0e3054c0c70705bc3a3aa1ce5c.JPG

P1150738.thumb.JPG.b891aa4856c0dbd006017313281e9de5.JPG

Thank you so much for taking the time to do that for me, much appreciated. i didnt remove the little black steel covers , will do that today.  many thanks indeed.

43 minutes ago, asjc 123 said:

will do that today

You are welcome!

If you are going into that area, stating the obvious a bit here, it may be worth considering/investigating where the water could specifically be entering the car in an 'overflow' situation.

From what I've seen across other car models, if the scuttle floods through leaf debris blocking the drainage holes etc., then the water typically enters through the car heater fresh air intake, but that's on the other side of the car to the throttle pedal where you are noticing this (I think). 

These pictures were taken about 4 years ago, when this car was roughly two years younger than yours is now, as an idea of how long it had taken for the pictured debris to accumulate (this is very variable, I know).  The car had not come apart for a leak, it was to investigate removing the suspension strut and I got a bit carried away.

Just as a thought, we have had some very heavy rain recently, I have had the situation on a completely different car (Skoda) where in an astonishingly heavy rain storm in northern Italy, some very small amount water did come through the heater into the passenger footwell.  This had never happened before, nor in the many years since that event.  I think in that situation the rain was just overwhelming that car's drains.

It might be worth pondering what is directly above the throttle pedal.  It's a bit busy under the dash, but could it be a defective seal (incomplete mastic) at the lowest edge of the windscreen, leaking as the water rises up to it?  (That is just a guess by the way!)

Good luck.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Gerg said:

You are welcome!

If you are going into that area, stating the obvious a bit here, it may be worth considering/investigating where the water could specifically be entering the car in an 'overflow' situation.

From what I've seen across other car models, if the scuttle floods through leaf debris blocking the drainage holes etc., then the water typically enters through the car heater fresh air intake, but that's on the other side of the car to the throttle pedal where you are noticing this (I think). 

These pictures were taken about 4 years ago, when this car was roughly two years younger than yours is now, as an idea of how long it had taken for the pictured debris to accumulate (this is very variable, I know).  The car had not come apart for a leak, it was to investigate removing the suspension strut and I got a bit carried away.

Just as a thought, we have had some very heavy rain recently, I have had the situation on a completely different car (Skoda) where in an astonishingly heavy rain storm in northern Italy, some very small amount water did come through the heater into the passenger footwell.  This had never happened before, nor in the many years since that event.  I think in that situation the rain was just overwhelming that car's drains.

It might be worth pondering what is directly above the throttle pedal.  It's a bit busy under the dash, but could it be a defective seal (incomplete mastic) at the lowest edge of the windscreen, leaking as the water rises up to it?  (That is just a guess by the way!)

Good luck.

Thanks again Gerg.  good advice, i will attack it later with a pokey stick type thing.  This has only started happening since really really heavy rain driving, torrential water logged roads with lots of standing water so yes possibly overwhelmed the drain capacity. 

i have been under the dashboard with my torch , it seems to be very wet behind some cable routing above and right of the accelerator pedal. There is a sort of grey plastic covered foam thing that hangs vertically behind the pedals that water is absorbed into, it may just be that during the heavy rain, the water seen is the residual that is still dripping down , currently mopping up a couple of tablespoon fulls per day as i cant put the carpets/insulation back until resolved.  my wife and kids says it smells of cabbages. grrrrr.

Will let you know, again, many thanks

Hi,

Your determination is impressive.  I had no idea that the water in your car was that evident. 

It does sound like you are fast becoming an expert in this!

I don't think this picture will be of much use, it is of a mk2 non-hybrid Auris, with the dash top removed whilst in for repair (for what, I don't know), it was parked in a customer car parking space at Steven Eagell, with the keys in the ignition, turned on.  The only way to photograph what was going on was through the glass, the more so because my being there would look very suspicious, never mind opening a door.  With the reflections it's a bit confusing, and that's putting it mildly.

You don't see a car in that state often, so I thought I'd capture the weirdness of it, I'd only called in for something unrelated.

Please feel free to completely ignore it - I think you need to see what's behind all these bits.

IMG_20170919_135524801_HDR.thumb.jpg.2088b87a23b50dec629bc03a487c64fe.jpg

Wowser, thats a baffling image isnt it. The life of an obsessive compulsive Gerg....

We are going on holiday in and that squelchy feeling underfoot, the smell of cabbage and the possibility that my floors will rot out in 2 weeks and all the electrics explode was freaking me out a tad tee hee.  i like to get involved with stuff that needs doing.

have had to take all the insulation out of the back too as that was all wet.

Took the metal skuttle cover off and cleaned all out, i think its a red herring as peering down over that massive 1.3 motor, the rear part of the plastic engine tray cover thing underneath is missing, i did know it wasnt there when i got the car as i was changing oil, anyway, there is evidence that water has sprayed up from the road onto the bulkhead, its just possible that this water was the culprit here, i may try to find another cover thing, anyway, its drying out well now so shall wait till sure till i put the insulation back in. fingers crossed.

i am a really lazy driver so really would like this car to be slightly less gutless pulling away in too high a gear, apart from getting a bigger engine is there any mapping you can do to change this do you know?

we also have a 2005 1.4td yaris which is really torquey, lovely wee car, super strong.  thanks

Actually, I remembered why that picture had such interest, our Auris has had a fair bit of warranty work done (front struts mentioned earlier, as just one of very many examples).  The steering column motor was due to be replaced too.  When warranty work is done at my two local dealers, as often as not, sadly, something gets damaged or broken off.  So it's sometimes best/easier to see what's been going on and fix it yourself afterwards!

Anyway, the power steering motor (blue and white cables) was in that shot, and normally is completely hidden, I always wondered what it looked like, just naturally inquisitive about these things - a lifelong home mechanic, sort of.

2 hours ago, asjc 123 said:

water has sprayed up from the road onto the bulkhead

The rubber bellows that are where the steering column passes through the bulkhead are in the area of your throttle pedal, but not above it.  If they weren't fitted correctly then perhaps they could cause a leak, but they're quite low down. (See, steering column? For me this is warranty work related stuff!).  And it's quite a tight sealing fitment, unsurprisingly.

Also, be aware that the plastic membranes fitted behind all the door cards are prone to unsticking themselves over time, but the water leaks from there shouldn't be huge, unless you habitually park on a kerb.  It's most likely to enter just underneath the door speaker - I've had this, but nothing remotely like you've got.

In reality, this and another Auris I'm responsible for, are driven by family rather than myself, but it pays to keep on top of what's going on with them.

I don't remember serious Auris water leaks like your one being mentioned on this forum before.

Similarly, chipping the 1.3 engine has been asked about before, but I've never seen someone talk about actually getting it done.

Cor!   OCD!  That's a bit harsh, just thorough!   😉 

Has the car had a replacement screen fitted? Sometimes water can run by capillary action from somewhere totally remote from where it collects such as leakage at the top of the screen. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Mooly said:

Has the car had a replacement screen fitted? Sometimes water can run by capillary action from somewhere totally remote from where it collects such as leakage at the top of the screen. 

Good point, Mooly. 

I was thinking along very similar lines.  For what it's worth, a new windscreen fitted to our car by Autoglass, was a genuine Toyota part, so subsequent owners would struggle to spot that it had ever been replaced. 

I have an idea that some replacement windscreens have very long warranties.  I guess any replacement details (company name, date of fitment) may be on the insurance records database that insurance companies have access to, so you could (maybe) get a windscreen leak repaired under the installer's  warranty, if you could find out who put it in....

1 hour ago, Gerg said:

Actually, I remembered why that picture had such interest, our Auris has had a fair bit of warranty work done (front struts mentioned earlier, as just one of very many examples).  The steering column motor was due to be replaced too.  When warranty work is done at my two local dealers, as often as not, sadly, something gets damaged or broken off.  So it's sometimes best/easier to see what's been going on and fix it yourself afterwards!

Anyway, the power steering motor (blue and white cables) was in that shot, and normally is completely hidden, I always wondered what it looked like, just naturally inquisitive about these things - a lifelong home mechanic, sort of.

The rubber bellows that are where the steering column passes through the bulkhead are in the area of your throttle pedal, but not above it.  If they weren't fitted correctly then perhaps they could cause a leak, but they're quite low down. (See, steering column? For me this is warranty work related stuff!).  And it's quite a tight sealing fitment, unsurprisingly.

Also, be aware that the plastic membranes fitted behind all the door cards are prone to unsticking themselves over time, but the water leaks from there shouldn't be huge, unless you habitually park on a kerb.  It's most likely to enter just underneath the door speaker - I've had this, but nothing remotely like you've got.

In reality, this and another Auris I'm responsible for, are driven by family rather than myself, but it pays to keep on top of what's going on with them.

I don't remember serious Auris water leaks like your one being mentioned on this forum before.

Similarly, chipping the 1.3 engine has been asked about before, but I've never seen someone talk about actually getting it done.

Cor!   OCD!  That's a bit harsh, just thorough!   😉 

No Gerg, i meant me, not you.  tee hee. sorry for confusion there.... looks for angel emoji....

i have a garage full of old motorcycles so am obsessed with things being as right as they can be, well not braking down too often....ha ha, how do you get a laughing face emoji  on here?  ta

45 minutes ago, Gerg said:

Good point, Mooly. 

I was thinking along very similar lines.  For what it's worth, a new windscreen fitted to our car by Autoglass, was a genuine Toyota part, so subsequent owners would struggle to spot that it had ever been replaced. 

I have an idea that some replacement windscreens have very long warranties.  I guess any replacement details (company name, date of fitment) may be on the insurance records database that insurance companies have access to, so you could (maybe) get a windscreen leak repaired under the installer's  warranty, if you could find out who put it in....

It had one last year, its been fine till now, genuine toyota too. we shall see if anymore water comes in during our fine british summer.....  Thanks guys.

• 3 weeks later...

Update. The thing is now sorted.

It was the windscreen, poor sealant used apparently, so thanks for all for your input on this.

Now where is that fabreez.....thanks adam😃

• Like 2

Thanks for updating the thread and pleased to hear it is sorted now. 

That's good news.  All you've got to do is strip your car until it looks like this:

IMG_7114_tn.thumb.jpg.37466a8d4cb71bc59182264854999164.jpg

Fill it with cat litter, wait a week, then vacuum it all out.  Job's a good'un!    :-)

Further pictures (if needed) can be found here:

https://www.ahifi.cz/clanky/detail/toyota-auris-combi-odhlucneni.htm

😁 sadly or not, i have been religiously drying it out so thankfully its not too bad now, i took all the sound proofing stuff out at the beginning of the whole episode.

so quickly bung it back in, my wife has put a little air freshener tree thing in it, hopefully ok now.   Really hope so. Bit annoyed with the company who fitted the screen originally but lifes too short to hold grudges.

I did have my engine warning light and traction control lights come on for a few hours last week but these have gone out by them selves , may have been connected to moisture buildup, i dont know, but hopefully sorted.  Any experience of that?

Many thanks all.