Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Just brought an aygo - clutch/ biting point advice

Olihenry

Hi guys. Just brought an aygo last week. Brand new car 10 miles on the clock. Love the car but is there anything that can be done about the biting point/clutch?

I’m not a new driver been driving for 6 years owned 2 cars before this and driven countless others through work often jumping from car to car and never had an issue with different clutches but this one just ain’t the easiest.

Driving through the gears and pulling away from stopped on the flat I’m fine but hill starts I tend to over compensate and Rev it a bit too hard sometimes but where I end up keep stalling the thing is when I’m trying to park on a hill or do a u turn in the road on a hill (I live in quite a hilly area) as you can’t really over compensate with acceleration when parking or doing a u turn as I’ll end up hitting a car or mounting the kerb. So I just end up stalling. Couple occasions now I’ve smelt a bit of a burning smell when giving it a bit more revs. 

I’ve had the car a week now can’t say I’ve got that much better at it. Is there any way this can be adjusted ? Or any advice. Much appreciated.

Its a cable operated manually-adjusted clutch. I can adjust the bite point in a couple of minutes. Have an assistant LIFT the clutch pedal and then reach down to the plastic adjuster wheel behind the cable anchor bracket on top of the gearbox and rotate it to get the bite point at the required height. One turn moves the bite point up or down by about 6mm.

This document will help. Should be checked/adjusted at annual service.

https://garagewire.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/INF140-Toyota-Aygo-Clutch-ADT330246-UK1.pdf

Be aware that the clutch take up is not very smooth or progressive even when correctly adjusted. A bit ironic given its often recommended as a first car!

• Like 1

Will have a look at that. Thanks for your help

If it's any consolation even experienced drivers new to an Aygo usually have the same problem as the biting point is higher than on most cars, and because of the small(ish) engine it's quite easy to stall it. Having said that when I went for a test drive in a 2020 manual Aygo even though I had been driving a C1 (same car really) since 2010 I did stall on the test drive a couple of times.

Don't adjust the biting point too far otherwise you can end up with the clutch slipping.

After you have driven Renault Clio (especially Second Generation), you will know what is high.

Even with a newly installed Exedy Clutch, biting point never went pass half way mark.

Then on hill starts, biting point is literally at the top of the pedal.  (Been driving it like that for 42K miles.)

Getting to adjust the clutch from above can be difficult due to poor access, especially if air con is fitted. If you have access to a ramp or pit adjust it from underneath,or if doing it on the drive remove the NSF wheel and gain access through the wheel arch. Make sure the car is safely supported on axle stand.

Not sure Gen 2 is any different from Gen 1.

Anyway, on Gen 1, when adjusting the clutch, there are 2 important parameters that needs to be accounted for:

1. Depth of Free play - how deep you can press before feeling the resistance from the clutch's pressure plate.

2. Distance from the bottom of the Pedal to the point where the car starts to move.

1 affects the life of the thrust bearing. 2 affects your ability to put the car in gears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REHQXqzdoa8

if you were not sure what you are doing, I suggest you leave it as it is.

• Like 1