Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Used t3

CelicaZoo

Looking for a nice reliable used car for my daughter. From September she  be travelling 60miles a day round trip most days.

She currently occasionally drives my 2002 golf 1.8gti so she likes nippy motors but she know with the mileage she will be doing she wants a car with better mpg, good insurance and tax for her age

She doesn't want to spend more than £2500 and likes the 1.4vti t3

Would it be a good bet for her?

She also like the idea of slowly adding to it

Cheers

Just now, CelicaZoo said:

Looking for a nice reliable used car for my daughter. From September she  be travelling 60miles a day round trip most days.

She currently occasionally drives my 2002 golf 1.8gti so she likes nippy motors but she know with the mileage she will be doing she wants a car with better mpg, good insurance and tax for her age

She doesn't want to spend more than £2500 and likes the 1.4vti t3

Would it be a good bet for her?

She also like the idea of slowly adding to it

Cheers

Try a QI automatic. (if you can find one)

If you're after a Corolla and she doesn't need to go into any cities, I'm tempted to suggest the 2.0 D4D - It's diesel, so will probably be banned in a few years, but it has great MPG (Easily in the 50's), has ridiculous amounts of torque at any speed in any gear, and is surprisingly cheap to tax; My little brother had one as his first car.

It's also golf-esque in interior quality and is also quite reliable (Only issue he had was with the starter motor - Car can be tricky to start when the engine is hot due to a now known fault in the starter motor on 1CD-FTV engines, but Toyota sell a revised part that fixes it). The only downside I'd say in day to day use is the clutch pedal is heavier then you normally expect and it will give you leg-ache if you're in a lot of start-stop traffic.

If she's not averse to a smaller car, the Mk1 or Mk2 Yaris D4D are also good cars for the nippy high-mpg cheap to insure criteria. The Mk1 D4D is still IMHO the best car I've owned - Cost me £3k when I bought it and only got rid of it because of this stupid London ULEZ extension. Never went wrong, easy to work on, very nippy and easy to park, average mpg in the low-mid-60s even when hooning it.

The petrol Corollas are a bit thirstier - The 1.8 T-Sport is awesome fun, but very thirsty and probably apocalyptically high to insure for a new driver. (Less than a comparable Civic tho'!). The 1.4 is better on fuel, but I'm under the impression it feels a bit gutless and needs some revs to move. The 1.6 might be a better bet, but you'd probably have to test-drive them to see how they feel.

Again, if she's not averse to a smaller car, and if the nippyness is paramount, a Mk1 T-Sport is also a really fun car - Surprisingly cheap to insure, very nippy, not too bad on fuel 40-45 if not hooning it.

The Mk1 and Mk2 petrols are also quite nippy in town, but I had a 1.33 Mk2 and didn't find it very confidence inspiring on the motorway compared to the Mk1 D4D I had before it. The torque went away very quickly above 3rd gear! MPG wasn't too bad tho'; High 40's mid 50's.

You could also look at a VW Polo or Up! if you like your VWs - Also not bad first-cars.

Mazda 2 and earlier Mazda 3, also Hyundai i10 and i20 also not too bad. The 2 and the i10 are deffo more city cars tho' - Bit gutless for the motorway.

Just don't get her a Daewoo Matiz! :eek: :laugh:

Thanks

She's 20 so, yes I know she is just driving to uni, but in can't be too uncool lol

She likes the mazda2 and the i20 also as she doesn't like too small cars (she was even looking at a dacia sandero 1.2). I didn't realise tho that they are not suited to motorway

She deffo won't go for a diesel as many young feel at the moment whatever the advantages

Thx again so far

7 minutes ago, CelicaZoo said:

She likes the mazda2 and the i20 also as she doesn't like too small cars (she was even looking at a dacia sandero 1.2). I didn't realise tho that they are not suited to motorway

Never heard that about the Sandero….. what’s the supposed problem?

Sorry I meant comment about the mazda and hyundai

With any car mpg depends on the driver !

Saying she wants something Nippy suggest she will be zooming around so with any car the mpg may be quiet low.

Our 1.6 petrol easily does 40mpg, town and mway driving.

The 1.6 does feel much more powerful and nippier than the 1.4, plus you might find a lot more Colour Collection models around over the T3,  the differences in trim being very little, if you go for a 2005/2006 model.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, CelicaZoo said:

I am probably overstating it a bit, as I am frequently overtaken by Aygos and Up!s and i10s on the motorway :laugh: 

They're all perfectly usable on the motorway - I just mean, unlike your Golf or the diesel ones I mentioned, the smaller engine'd cars take a while to accelerate at motorway speeds so you can't just see a gap, downshift and plant the accelerator and expect the car to get into said gap because it probably won't pick up fast enough - You need to get a good run up!

This is probably why they all seem to be at 70mph all the time, just to keep the momentum going! :laugh: 

• Like 1

Aye.  You stick the cruise on and see them overtake you on the downhills and then you lose them on the uphills 😀

• Haha 1

1.3 yaris, 1.8 celica, 1.33 Auris, Rav4

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202106234139049?price-to=3000&advertising-location=at_cars&include-delivery-option=on&sort=relevance&radius=30&year-to=2021&make=TOYOTA&price-from=1500&postcode=da51ne&maximum-mileage=70000&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=Used&page=2

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202106053511562?onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=Used&advertising-location=at_cars&price-from=1500&year-to=2021&price-to=3000&sort=relevance&radius=30&include-delivery-option=on&make=TOYOTA&postcode=da51ne&page=2

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202104251784874?price-to=3000&advertising-location=at_cars&include-delivery-option=on&sort=relevance&radius=30&year-to=2021&make=TOYOTA&price-from=1500&postcode=da51ne&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=Used&page=2

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202107014490700?price-to=3000&advertising-location=at_cars&include-delivery-option=on&sort=relevance&radius=30&year-to=2021&make=TOYOTA&price-from=1500&postcode=da51ne&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=Used&page=2

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202102269506637?price-to=3000&advertising-location=at_cars&include-delivery-option=on&sort=relevance&radius=30&year-to=2021&make=TOYOTA&price-from=1500&postcode=da51ne&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=Used&page=3

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202107134986992?price-to=3000&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=Used&price-from=1500&sort=relevance&radius=30&year-to=2021&include-delivery-option=on&make=TOYOTA&postcode=da51ne&advertising-location=at_cars&page=6

• Like 1

Thanks..that my evening done lol

• Haha 1

Oooh the last gen 1.8 Celica is a good shout - More reliable than the Corolla T-Sport (Doesn't have the high RPM valve lift), surprisingly cheap to insure (Was the same as a Yaris Mk1 D4D when my brother passed his test :laugh: ), can fit actual normal-sized humans in it, looks cool, nice to drive, got some go when you want it

Thans for that but Ive had of one of those myself a long time ago but she would think that too big for parking..even thouhg probably same size lol 

thx anyway

Also look for a car with a good euro NCAP 5 star rating and as many airbags as possible. You may be a very safe driver, but the driving standards of others is getting worse!

James👍

• Like 2

If you daughter likes car washing every weekend then get a black one. Yes, they look great when clean, but that’s the problem….keeping them clean. Best colours for “hiding” road dirt is silver or light-mid grey. Road dirt dries grey, hence my choice of colour for a car.  Ok, my Prius is hypersonic red, love the colour, but now I am retired 1) I don’t travel as much as when I worked 2) I have more time to wash it. The wife’s Auris is silver, and I usually end up washing that too. 😩

• Like 1

I might have to post this as another question but are there any used T3 owners ( or colour match ) in Cheshire that would mind my daughter just sitting in the car (not driving it) to check the pedals, visibility etc ( she's petite..)

cheers