Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota Corolla - wing mirror auto dip in reverse

David4591

I have a 2020 Corolla "design" HB but I can't get the wing mirrors to dip when selecting reverse. Does anyone know how to do this ?

Is that part of the spec? Would be good if it was.

27 minutes ago, David4591 said:

I have a 2020 Corolla "design" HB but I can't get the wing mirrors to dip when selecting reverse. Does anyone know how to do this ?

Any clues in the Handbook David ?

My hopes were that that my Prius Excel had dipping mirrors, sadly not so. Just been out with video and tried but no go. Ah well.

I've seen a 2020 corolla design for sale with "auto dipping in reverse wing mirrors" so it must be an option at least.

It states both excel and design have this function in the video, which appears to be a UK spec

I remember about a week ago someone on here was grumbling that he didn’t have dipping mirrors when other manufacturers specified them. Can’t remember who it was or what thread it was.  I assume you tried what was said in the video and it doesn’t work.

Yes I tried everything. The dealer is also "looking" into the issue.

Its quite a game changer for me, as I have some low walls to negotiate when reversing up my drive!!

Hopefully I can get it to work, or at least have the dealer modify the car or program

Just been on Toyota web site for specification. It highlights the Design and Excel have folding mirrors but doesn’t mention dipping mirrors.

Have you just bought the car?  Will the dealer take it back?

You can dip each mirror manually (electrically), that may be ok if the drive is of concern. I sure you would soon get used to repositioning quickly.

Definitely not on my Jan 2020 build Excel. Auto fold is along with auto dip interior rear view mirror. I do have the faculty on my Mini but as after as not I have to override it as I don’t always want to look at the back wheel when reversing. 

I once had a Honda with this feature. For it to work it was necessary to have the mirror adjustment switch turned to the left hand mirror.  I haven't tried in my current car as I didn't think it had this.

Just tried my design model albeit 2019  model don’t work. There is an American video too if you search which shows how to set the feature but tried no joy. 

another example

https://www.steveneagell.co.uk/used-car-details/used-toyota-corolla-hatchback-gr-bi-tone-hatchback-scarlet-flare-bi-tone-automatic-petrol/id-5598121370141111/

My old Lexus rx450 has this function, depending on the position of the wing mirror adjustment switch - either just the drivers, just the passenger or both wing mirrors tilt down when reverse is selected

10 minutes ago, David4591 said:

That’s a GR, isn’t that the very top of the range.

16 minutes ago, David4591 said:

Tried looking in every section, couldn’t see tilting mirror, have I missed it.

If you haven’t got it maybe the dealer can find if it can be available for fitment. Perhaps all the wires are standard in a loom, maybe the motor is the same as folds the mirror. Hope you find a solution. Remember though manufacturers can and do change specs as they see fit. Also, the description put on these adverts are often generic. That said if it’s advertised with tilt mirrors then it should have tilt mirrors.

How long have you had yours, and was it advertised with tilt mirrors.

• Automatic folding mirrors
  • Power adjustable heated door mirrors
  • Reverse tilting door mirrors
  • 3x3 point rear seatbelts
  • Adjustable front driver seat belt extender
  • Front passenger airbag on/off switch
  • Front seatbelt reminder
  • Rear seat belt reminder
  • Supplemental restraint system (SRS) 7 airbags - dual driver

Have long have you had the car.?  Was it from new?

Was it described as having tilting mirrors?

had the car 4 weeks, it was new sept 2020 (70) plate, can't remember all the details in the advert.

I'm hopeful it can be sorted, grateful for all the suggestions and comments.

The dealer is "investigating"

Forgive my lack of knowledge, but I’ve been reversing cars for over fifty years using my ordinary wing mirrors. What I’m wondering is, how is dipping wing mirrors helpful when reversing??.

6 minutes ago, Bernard Foy said:

Forgive my lack of knowledge, but I’ve been reversing cars for over fifty years using my ordinary wing mirrors. What I’m wondering is, how is dipping wing mirrors helpful when reversing??.

I guess parallel parking so you can see the kerb 

14 minutes ago, Chriss27 said:

I guess parallel parking so you can see the kerb 

Well, well, every day can be a school day 🤔 I’ve yet to try doing that. Could be an interesting experiment. Thanks for your response.

Pretty sure no recent Corolla has wing mirrors. Now door mirrors are another matter 😉

I used to manually dip my door mirror when reversing my first two Jazz but since then my cars have always had rear view cameras with lines and there was no longer any need. Keep the lines within the safe area and you're golden.

Although I have to say I preferred the Jazz' lines which curved as you turned the steering wheel.

• Haha 1

David, obviously to you this is a big issue. Can I ask, how long is this drive?  In comparison to the car, how wide is the drive? Is the drive straight? Would it be too much to “manually” press the switch and tilt the mirrors down? and would that entail tilting both down, or just one?  Would it be feasible to have marker posts either side so you can see them, or maybe they would trigger the reverse sensors?

Seems as this is so important to you there must lie a solution some where other then auto tilting mirrors.

Drive is approx 30m, but the issue is that it has a curved gradient. ie starts around 30% uphill and levels off to flat like a quarter of a circle. Therefore the door mirrors view is very high in reverse (mainly sky) and it's very difficult to see the edges of the drive (which have low walls)

It's best to move both door mirrors down to keep an eye on both sides.

My other car (Lexus RX450H) has auto dip in reverse door mirrors, so that's much easier to navigate up the drive even though it's a bigger car.

Turning at the top is not easy as well, so its best to reverse.