Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Corolla - wing mirror auto dip in reverse

David4591

Been following this thread and just watched the video that David posted. It's definitely from Toyota UK and reasonably recent too. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, David4591 said:

Nothing in the hand book.

Is this the full owners manual? If not you can download the full manual from My Toyota.

Is it possible to dip the mirrors manually David prior to reversing?

I can't see anything about this in the full downloaded PDF manual.

Yes I can dip manually, but I need to do both and that's not ideal every time I arrive home.

• Like 1

Before I ordered our TS I downloaded the brochure,  June last year, just checked and it makes no mention of the 'dip in reverse function', simply the auto fold function.

Full handbook downloaded in August last year makes no mention of the 'dip in reverse function'. 

Strange that the the video ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0StizeEaOM )is dated September last year.

We had the 'dip in reverse' on our previous car (Seat Leon estate) and never bothered with it!

If you drive is straight, albeit on a hill, I would have thought it would be easy to keep straight using the reverse camera.

4 hours ago, David4591 said:

I can't see anything about this in the full downloaded PDF manual.

Yes I can dip manually, but I need to do both and that's not ideal every time I arrive home.

I`ve no idea David of the shape/size or difficulty of the hazard you are trying to negotiate in reverse, but I would have thought that if one dipped the nearside mirror so that you could see clearly the side/edge, then the other side of the car must be clear of an obstruction.

I apologise If I`m being too simple and lacking knowledge of your dilemma.

You could try fitting a wide angle mirror on. I have one to cover my blind spot. That could probably be adjusted to show the rear wheels.

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B071G7TT7W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mine has been on since I bought the car so that's over two years. I haven't gone through any car washes but it seems well fixed.

In the video, it says you have to put the mirror control to L or R then hold down the foot brake and put it in reverse - Has anyone tried that?

• Like 1

On 7/29/2021 at 9:48 PM, Cyker said:

In the video, it says you have to put the mirror control to L or R then hold down the foot brake and put it in reverse - Has anyone tried that?

I seem to recall trying similar on my Excel to no avail, again looking for the reversing dip.

Unfortunately Toyota are a bit hazy on specs with their vehicles,  if you've seen my other posts

Dip mirrors would be useful,  as I find the camera view on mine slightly off, when compared to my previous vehicle  and often its open door to check. 🤣

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Cyker said:

Tried it in my Prius Excel hoping it would work but No it doesnt.  I had no reason to expect it to work, just hoping.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, AndrueC said:

You could try fitting a wide angle mirror on. I have one to cover my blind spot. That could probably be adjusted to show the rear wheels.

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B071G7TT7W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mine has been on since I bought the car so that's over two years. I haven't gone through any car washes but it seems well fixed.

I pretty sure that would work, Andrue, but it would block the BSM indicator I would think.

35 minutes ago, Catlover said:

I pretty sure that would work, Andrue, but it would block the BSM indicator I would think.

Doesn't matter on the corolla's as they don't have BSM ☹

• Like 2

What,  none of them.

27 minutes ago, Catlover said:

What,  none of them.

It's the missing feature that's stopping me from looking at a Corolla later this year.

I emailed Toyota UK earlier this year enquiring when BSM & RCTA would be offered or fitted to the Corolla but they had no idea - they did pass my enquiry on to the product team.

• Like 1

So, if there is not BSM on a Corolla Excel, the original poster could do what AndrueC suggested and has done to his own car.  Problem solved????

Has anyone tried, foot on the brake - put it in R - set the mirror to the right - Then adjust the mirror to where you need it dipped to - then put it into park and release the brake (or set the mirror control to the middle position)

It should auto return - next time it dips the mirror when in reverse ? (when the mirror switch is in L or R)

Just thinking along the same lines as Auto windows, the position needs to be initially set first

@flash22 yep, I've tried that in my design along with probably every other combination you can think of... nothing works. I'd  say it doesn't have the functionality

If that extra exists on the car and it’s not active it might needs to be checked with diagnostic tool, techstream or Carista obd 2 or any other adapter as last possible solution. Not a big deal IMO but there are people who prefer to have it. 

On 7/30/2021 at 12:20 PM, Catlover said:

So, if there is not BSM on a Corolla Excel

Not in the UK - but BSM & RCTA is available / fitted to the Corolla in Europe.

• Like 1

On 7/28/2021 at 9:34 PM, Bernard Foy said:

Well, well, every day can be a school day 🤔 I’ve yet to try doing that. Could be an interesting experiment. Thanks for your response.

I sense a touch of sarcasm there. 

In fact parallel parking would avoid any problems but that is only one area. 

I use one road where camber and a high kerb mark parking difficult.  The low wall when reversing is another. Leaving a pub car park last week I could not see my side clearance with the sensors going berserk. 

On 7/28/2021 at 9:34 PM, Bernard Foy said:

🤔

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Roy124 said:

I sense a touch of sarcasm there. 

In fact parallel parking would avoid any problems but that is only one area. 

I use one road where camber and a high kerb mark parking difficult.  The low wall when reversing is another. Leaving a pub car park last week I could not see my side clearance with the sensors going berserk. 

No not meant to be sarcastic, we have a saying when we come across something new “that every day can be a school day”. Meaning that you are never too old to learn something new. We also have a saying Roy that “sarcasm is the lowest form of wit but it’s the highest form of intelligence”. 

21 hours ago, forkingabout said:

Not in the UK - but BSM & RCTA is available / fitted to the Corolla in Europe.

Yea, when I specc'd the car it clearly said BSM + RCTA on our fleet management website,  when it arrived it was absent 

I then challenged this, as did our fleet management company with Toyota,  who they take a direct feed from.

The answer was basically  'body shells vary', thanks for the £35,000, and we'll adjust the spec feed  🤦‍♂️

18 minutes ago, frizzbee30 said:

Yea, when I specc'd the car it clearly said BSM + RCTA on our fleet management website,  when it arrived it was absent 

I then challenged this, as did our fleet management company with Toyota,  who they take a direct feed from.

The answer was basically  'body shells vary', thanks for the £35,000, and we'll adjust the spec feed  🤦‍♂️

Extremely poor excuse from Toyota seeing as the European Corolla that can have BSM & RCTA fitted comes out exactly the same UK factory.

Has anyone in the UK looked to see if the wiring is present behind the trim?

Corolla in UK never had BSM & RCTA or dipping mirror. RAV4 also does not have dipping mirror. When I asked about it, I was told that this is to separate Toyota from Lexus.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links