Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Choosing an Avensis.. please help!

Monmon

Hello to all!

I'm currently a stressed out owner of a 2010 1.6l R56 Mini one and I've grown tired of the rattles, engine light being on more than not, driving with my windows down to figure out any new noises and what needs fixing. Mini was a dream and should've been left as such perhaps. 

Im looking to buy a used Avensis as I've heard of their bulletproof reliability and that is what I need the most right now. My budget is up to £3000 and I'm quite lost as to which model to look at. There are plenty of second gen ones (2005/8 etc) but I've seen a few of third gen examples with higher miles (150,000). I'm only looking at diesels having read many forums that say they're more reliable in the long run. 

What do you guys think? I'm more drawn to the newer models because of spec and possibly higher resale value but the mileage is scary. I can afford servicing and basic maintenance but expensive repairs aren't in my 'minimum wage veterinary nurse' budget.

I've linked a few examples I thought might be worth it? 

Please let me know your thoughts. I'd really appreciate it!

Thank you

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202107124911320?advertising-location=at_cars&price-to=4500&postcode=ST4 4DP&model=AVENSIS&sort=mileage&page=3&make=TOYOTA&include-delivery-option=on&modal=photos

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202107124927635?advertising-location=at_cars&price-to=4500&postcode=ST4 4DP&model=AVENSIS&sort=mileage&page=3&make=TOYOTA&include-delivery-option=on&modal=photos

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202107124928755?advertising-location=at_cars&price-to=4000&postcode=ST4 4DP&model=AVENSIS&sort=mileage&page=18&make=TOYOTA&include-delivery-option=on

Hi Monika, and welcome to the Toyota Owners Club.

Sorry you having grief with your car.

I not had an Avensis, good looking cars though. Someone will be along soon with help. I undewrstand petrol are pretty good, but there is a diesel model that uses a BMW engine that has caused a lot of problems. Dont worry someone will steer you in the right direction.  I just read you manily interested in a diesel at this point.   How many miles per year do you do and what sort of journeys, thats a serious consideration for a diesel car.           

• Like 1

I`d recommend an Avensis Multidrive Auto. It has near diesel fuel consumption with non of the diesel problems.

Do a Google search and learn more. The Multidrive Auto is a CVT box with outstanding reliability.

I have one in my Yaris and it is first class.

https://www.raccars.co.uk/used-toyota/avensis/transmission/automatic

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Hi Monika, and welcome to the Toyota Owners Club.

Sorry you having grief with your car.

I not had an Avensis, good looking cars though. Someone will be along soon with help. I undewrstand petrol are pretty good, but there is a diesel model that uses a BMW engine that has caused a lot of problems. Dont worry someone will steer you in the right direction.  I just read you manily interested in a diesel at this point.   How many miles per year do you do and what sort of journeys, thats a serious consideration for a diesel car.           

Thank you for your reply! Do you know which engine is the BMW? My MINI has a BMW engine and my god does it sound like a death rattle.. at 72k miles. Not a fan. 

My daily commute is about 15 miles in total, but once/twice a week I drive an 80 mile round trip to Derby and back so I thought that might be sufficient to clear the diesel? 

31 minutes ago, john p williams said:

I`d recommend an Avensis Multidrive Auto. It has near diesel fuel consumption with non of the diesel problems.

Do a Google search and learn more. The Multidrive Auto is a CVT box with outstanding reliability.

I have one in my Yaris and it is first class.

https://www.raccars.co.uk/used-toyota/avensis/transmission/automatic

Hi John, 

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately manual is a firm deal breaker for me. Does the CVT box come in manual diesels? 

Thank you

21 minutes ago, Monmon said:

Hi John, 

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately manual is a firm deal breaker for me. Does the CVT box come in manual diesels? 

Thank you

I do not believe that it does.

One day you will come to love automatics Monika.😊

I have four!

1 minute ago, john p williams said:

I do not believe that it does.

One day you will come to love automatics Monika.😊

I have four!

Maybe one day or if I'm a rep who drives all day, in which case I would 100% get an automatic 🙂 my mom's 2009 Yaris put me off them for now, it's absolutely terrible. Or maybe it's just her driving.. 😂 

Thank you!

1 minute ago, Monmon said:

Maybe one day or if I'm a rep who drives all day, in which case I would 100% get an automatic 🙂 my mom's 2009 Yaris put me off them for now, it's absolutely terrible. Or maybe it's just her driving.. 😂 

Thank you!

That was an electronic manual and was not a true auto. A disaster for Toyota and Honda and Citroen and Fiat and others.

Her driving was fine but the auto was not.

• Like 1

I had a 2007 2.0 D4D Avensis, with the Toyota engine, it lasted very well and managed over 200k miles but anything of that age is getting rather old now, so I'd be a bit wary because they do start to develop issues.

For the Toyota D4D engines, check how well it starts on a cold engine, there's a number of people on the forum (myself included) who had problems with rough starting from cold. Mine started from a warm engine perfectly and always started (eventually!) when cold, but it took quite a lot of cranking and smoked quite a bit when starting as it got older, but it's not an easy problem to identify and fix, I never resolved it on mine. So something to check if you're looking at buying one.

The EGR valve clogged a few times over it's life, but on the 1AD-FTV engine its easy to access and clean, being at the front of the engine.

Had a few other issues but nothing unexpected for a high mileage car.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Monmon said:

Do you know which engine is the BMW?

My MINI has a BMW engine and my god does it sound like a death rattle.. at 72k miles.

The 1.6 and 2.0 diesels from 2015 were the BMW N47 unit.

Mini is owned by BMW, so will use BMW engines, apart from the early 1.4D which was a Toyota unit.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AJones said:

I had a 2007 2.0 D4D Avensis, with the Toyota engine, it lasted very well and managed over 200k miles but anything of that age is getting rather old now, so I'd be a bit wary because they do start to develop issues.

For the Toyota D4D engines, check how well it starts on a cold engine, there's a number of people on the forum (myself included) who had problems with rough starting from cold. Mine started from a warm engine perfectly and always started (eventually!) when cold, but it took quite a lot of cranking and smoked quite a bit when starting as it got older, but it's not an easy problem to identify and fix, I never resolved it on mine. So something to check if you're looking at buying one.

The EGR valve clogged a few times over it's life, but on the 1AD-FTV engine its easy to access and clean, being at the front of the engine.

Had a few other issues but nothing unexpected for a high mileage car.

Thank you so much for the insight! Which models have the D4D engine, is it the 2nd or 3rd gen? 

Just now, FROSTYBALLS said:

The 1.6 and 2.0 diesels from 2015 were the BMW N47 unit.

Mini is owned by BMW, so will use BMW engines, apart from the early 1.4D which was a Toyota unit.

Thank you! I thankfully can't afford anything newer than 2013 so I'm safe from the BMW engines. 

Sorry about my basic car knowledge, I've only just started really looking into what I'm driving and trying to understand engines and other parts 😞

1 minute ago, Monmon said:

Thank you! I thankfully can't afford anything newer than 2013 so I'm safe from the BMW engines. 

Sorry about my basic car knowledge, I've only just started really looking into what I'm driving and trying to understand engines and other parts 😞

We all started with little or no knowledge.

Just keep asking away.

10 minutes ago, Monmon said:

You doing very well with your car knowledge, much better then my wife who doesn’t know how to lift the bonnet.

Just now, Catlover said:

You doing very well with your car knowledge, much better then my wife who doesn’t know how to lift the bonnet.

Since having a MINI I unfortunately had to learn quite a bit about cars.. 😂 for one knowing that I will never have another one unless it's an early 90's project. My daily life consists of 'oh so my petrol car sounds like a wrecked diesel now? Okay. 

20 minutes ago, Monmon said:

You're fine. No-one knows everything, and everyone has something to learn. Ask whatever you want, and I'm sure members will try to help.

• Like 2

Sounds like the car your mother had, a 2009 Yaris, would have a MMT  mode of automatic. This actually was a standard manual gearbox with computer controlled arms that did the gear changing instead of the driver. Complete disaster. CVT box is something different, much, much better. 
If you get the chance to test drive a Toyota hybrid car, you can get Auris hybrid for 4K-4.5k pounds (2010), take the opportunity even just for the experience. Sooooo relaxing to drive. Easy for town driving and fast A roads and M ways, 60mpg in summer, 53mpg winter.

• Like 1

Hi Monika, welcome to the forum. Folks on here are very helpful and knowledgeable. What intrigues me is why limit your choice to an Avensis ?. It’s quite a leap in size of vehicle from the Mini, and there are lots of middle sized Toyota cars in between. Yaris, Auris, Corolla, are all worth considering.

Just now, Bernard Foy said:

Hi Monika, welcome to the forum. Folks on here are very helpful and knowledgeable. What intrigues me is why limit your choice to an Avensis ?. It’s quite a leap in size of vehicle from the Mini, and there are lots of middle sized Toyota cars in between. Yaris, Auris, Corolla, are all worth considering.

Hi Bernard,

Thank you for your reply! The only reason behind me considering the avensis was that I saw it applauded as the most reliable? Would an auris be as good, just smaller? I have no children or large goods to transport so size isn't an issue! 

46 minutes ago, Monmon said:

Thank you so much for the insight! Which models have the D4D engine, is it the 2nd or 3rd gen? 

I think it was something like the 2006 to 2009 which have the 1AD-FTV (2.0 L) and the 2AD-FTV (2.2L) diesels, I'm not sure what the next revision from 2009 onward had as I've not owned one.

You will see from my profile that the wife has an Auris, it’s 2010 and a hybrid. I bought it for myself 4 years ago as my first hybrid. Loved it so much I gave it to the wife and I got a Prius hybrid. The Auris hybrid has now got 75k miles and runs like a dream. Auris hybrid low tax - £0 (zero).
I also had a 59 plate Yaris with a 1.4 Diesel engine and 6 speed box. That was a belter too. It was just before DPF (diesel particulate filter) had to be fitted, they cause a lot of problems to diesels. Getting low 60’s to the gallon. Very comfy for a smaller car. Decent size boot area, but back seats fold down. Low tax - £20.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Monmon said:

Which models have the D4D engine, is it the 2nd or 3rd gen? 

The 2nd generation was facelifted in 2006 and came with the 2.0 litre AD series D4D engine. This was also carried forward into the 3rd generation from 2009, until it was replaced by the BMW N47 diesel engine in 2015.

D4D just means a direct injection 4 cylinder diesel. As such even the older 1CD-FTV from 2000 is a D4D.

The thing is that as diesels became more & more complicated (direct injection, common rail, emissions/DPF etc.) they became less reliable & more expensive to fix. They also became more likely to suffer problems if they were driven in a fashion that didn't suit them e.g. lots of short trips where the engine never really reached normal operating temps.

So, the important place to start is : is a diesel right for your usage? what is your typical journey profile & estimated annual mileage?

8 minutes ago, Monmon said:

Hi Bernard,

Thank you for your reply! The only reason behind me considering the avensis was that I saw it applauded as the most reliable? Would an auris be as good, just smaller? I have no children or large goods to transport so size isn't an issue! 

All Toyota cars have a reputation for reliability, and do not tie down your search for a car to one model. One of your criteria seems to be it must be an automatic, if so as Mr John P Willians recommendation the CVT box is really good to drive and rarely gives any bother. So have a good search around for a low mileage, full service main dealership history, Auris would work well for you. Solid reliable and comfortable on long runs, petrol or diesel fuel is a personal choice. Let us know what your choices are, good luck in your search.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Catlover said:

You will see from my profile that the wife has an Auris, it’s 2010 and a hybrid. I bought it for myself 4 years ago as my first hybrid. Loved it so much I gave it to the wife and I got a Prius hybrid. The Auris hybrid has now got 75k miles and runs like a dream. Auris hybrid low tax - £0 (zero).
I also had a 59 plate Yaris with a 1.4 Diesel engine and 6 speed box. That was a belter too. It was just before DPF (diesel particulate filter) had to be fitted, they cause a lot of problems to diesels. Getting low 60’s to the gallon. Very comfy for a smaller car. Decent size boot area, but back seats fold down. Low tax - £20.

quick question that yaris you are talking about the 59 plate Yaris with a 1.4 Diesel engine and 6 speed box do they do any newer ones with the toyota 1.4 diesel turbo engine without the dpf thing and well hope with a handbreak .kina looking for a car for the wife .thinking about the yaris but half thinking about a petrol one 1.4vtti or something like that  something that has a handbrake