Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Cross - delivery, etc .......

Toyota_FanBoy

4 minutes ago, RobertR said:

@raymondolee yes, the JBL packet is no longer available for Yaris cross(here in Slovakia) after the corolla cross was released. Not sure about the pan roof but I bet it's the same story. 

I wanted JBL at the order time(February) but did not make an order for this pack and now I see it was clearly a good move because they will be canceling my order like yours or it will be delayed even more.

Yes you did the right thing Robert.

Contract may be with the dealer but if you have an order number slated for build, something should come out at the end, even if the original desired spec can't be fulfilled, in which case YOU would be the one to cancel not the dealer or Toyota. I am trying to be kind to the dealer here because it would not surprise me if some treat car orders as a tradable commodity (like cargoes of oil or pork bellies) until they materialise on UK shores. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Baytree said:

I am trying to be kind to the dealer here

Yes Baytree you are right.  The Dealer is not at full fault on this. As soon as they knew they called me apparently. However I chased them up 3 times and asked for an update which then prompted a call a few days later (on third email). They told me they had a few people to call regarding the same issue. 

oh well, just going to have to wait longer. Btw I’m happy for everyone that received the cars when they said they would receive them and obviously a little Envious lol 

One question I do have though is how many have received the GRsport with Pan roof and tech pack?

I know one person in Orkney or Shetland? Has one?

Thanks

Don't know about Toyota, but there have been stories of cars being delivered to the dealer with some items missing, because of production difficulties. Dealer (allegedly) not told until too late, customer is offered "take it or leave it" knowing that in in the current situation, if the customer walks away, the car can easily be sold to someone else (and probably at a higher price than the original agreement)

Then again, there are worse things: few months ago, colleague of mine went to collect his new car (Volvo), looks at car, looks at salesperson, "This is not my car". "Yes sir, of course it is", "Nope, it's the wrong spec, it's missing".... (reels off list of items), "But, but...look, it's the right colour and.... and.....oh, er, wait.....". Turns out 2 cars of same colour, but quite different in spec, turned up at dealer, the lucky customer the day before drove away in a car which was somewhat better equipped than they'd paid for

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, SinglePointSafety said:

Don't know about Toyota, but there have been stories of cars being delivered to the dealer with some items missing, because of production difficulties. Dealer (allegedly) not told until too late, customer is offered "take it or leave it" knowing that in in the current situation, if the customer walks away, the car can easily be sold to someone else (and probably at a higher price than the original agreement)

Then again, there are worse things: few months ago, colleague of mine went to collect his new car (Volvo), looks at car, looks at salesperson, "This is not my car". "Yes sir, of course it is", "Nope, it's the wrong spec, it's missing".... (reels off list of items), "But, but...look, it's the right colour and.... and.....oh, er, wait.....". Turns out 2 cars of same colour, but quite different in spec, turned up at dealer, the lucky customer the day before drove away in a car which was somewhat better equipped than they'd paid for

Yes that’s shocking and I’ve seen somebody really upset when they turned up to sign paperwork and it was a yaris not a cross and then when they re ordered the car it was missing pan roof and was wrong colour. 

your right though I’ve seen that with other manufacturers complaining.

• Like 1

Shocking behaviour. 

All dealers at the end of the day want to make as much as possible. So probably sold that Volvo for more than price of the person who ordered. I would take them to trading standard and seek compensation if I got that treatment. 

Above YC is even worse case, twice. 

• Like 1

There's no follow-up to the Volvo story at the moment, 'negotiating is continuing' I believe, and anyway, I don't want to derail this thread, just stressing the importance of checking that the car you're intending to drive off in does indeed have the spec that you expect. Indeed, Toyota (and virtually every other manufacturer AFAIK) has weasel words in the brochure and/or configurator which effectively say that the dealer is the definitive source of information on the car's specification, which is laughable given the product knowledge, and general lethargy and indifference, of the car salespeople I've ever encountered

But for this reason I've asked my Toyota salesperson - by email, so it's as formal as it needs to be - to tell me if the car's spec differs from the above brochure/configurator. Although their replies to any other emails have been tardy and patchy, they have generally been just about acceptable. But: there has been absolutely no response to this 'difficult question', even when prompted, no doubt the dealer legal team have mandated a policy of 'don't ever, ever, engage with this sort of question'

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Mojo1010 said:

sold for more than price of the person who ordered.

A variation on this theme is when a dealer calls a customer to say the delivery is now scheduled to be 5 months late, because chips or whatever.  Essentially challenging the customer to cancel, whereupon the car still arrives as originally planned and can be sold on in excess of RRP. Several examples around of low mileage YCs going for £30k plus because of instant availability and if you’re on finance, do you care so much?

• Like 3

I’ve always thoroughly inspected my new cars before leaving a dealership.  In addition to checking for damage or imperfections it now seems essential that extra vigilance is required to confirm that you have in fact got the right model of car.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mojo1010 said:

Shocking behaviour. 

All dealers at the end of the day want to make as much as possible. So probably sold that Volvo for more than price of the person who ordered. I would take them to trading standard and seek compensation if I got that treatment. 

Above YC is even worse case, twice. 

What has trading standards got to do with it?

Even if the invoice was paid in full, at the end of the day all that's happened is goods have been ordered, the goods that arrived are not correct and I'm guessing that if the buyer didn't want them the garage would have no hesitation in refunding any deposit / payment in full.  Crap situation to be in but no law has been broken.

Not sure why you say that about the Volvo case. Sounds to me like a clerical error which when resolved, would cost the garage many thousands of lost revenue. The person responsible was probably ( and rightfully ) given their P45 on the spot. What a nightmare for the person tasked to come up with a solution.

If the supplier can prove they submitted the correct order then they've done nothing wrong. And that's why I don't agree with the accusations of dealers selling cars for more money to someone other than the person who ordered it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Baytree said:

A variation on this theme is when a dealer calls a customer to say the delivery is now scheduled to be 5 months late, because chips or whatever.  Essentially challenging the customer to cancel, whereupon the car still arrives as originally planned and can be sold on in excess of RRP. Several examples around of low mileage YCs going for £30k plus because of instant availability and if you’re on finance, do you care so much?

Do you have any proof of this happening or is that just specualtion? There are lots of cars at the moment being pulled from manufacturer's lineups because they simply cannot supply them. 'Chips or whatever' isn't an excuse, it's actually happening.

• Like 1

Yep, some years ago, another colleague and his wife once ordered a VW Golf auto, and (think this is still true for VAG cars) the 'auto' part was designated by the description 'DSG' (Direct Shift Gearbox). Guess which 3 letters went missing when the order was input into VW's system? But were there on the email trail including the 'confirmation of order'? And guess what car was sitting in the showroom on handover day?

Hands up, it is a theory of what might be going on behind the scenes, based on an unconventional  journey from order to eventual delivery, against a backdrop of Covid and Ukraine issues. That said I am thrilled with how it worked out in the end. Let's say if and when I do it again, I will approach it differently. 

• Confused 1

Mojo, there wasn't any intent to deceive on the part of the Volvo dealer, and no attempt to force my colleague to accept the lower-spec car either, so nothing illegal or dishonest, just a terrible error

Baytree, I'm sorry to say that I believe that there are some dealers who are indeed 'cancelling' orders and then selling the cars to others who will pay a higher price. It must be tempting for the dealers when there are used cars advertised with for-sale prices far in excess of the list price but still apparently selling. Anyone looked at the Toyota website recently for used Yaris Cross? (Although ignore Autotrader, there are many cars advertised which don't exist or never existed)

• Confused 1

Yesterday morning Test Drove a Yaris Cross Design& ordered an Excel for 2023 delivery.

The Order was on My T Ap 3 hrs later with its Order Number & is in the Processing Stage .

In the Evening, my Dealer rang me to say the Factory has accepted the Order & are stating March 8 2023 for Delivery.

Pre-Pandemic Lexus gave me the same info & delivered as forecast.

We shall see.

Tel

• Like 2

On 12/12/2022 at 8:49 PM, SinglePointSafety said:

Baytree, I'm sorry to say that I believe that there are some dealers who are indeed 'cancelling' orders and then selling the cars to others who will pay a higher price. It must be tempting for the dealers when there are used cars advertised with for-sale prices far in excess of the list price but still apparently selling. Anyone looked at the Toyota website recently for used Yaris Cross? (Although ignore Autotrader, there are many cars advertised which don't exist or never existed)

Have you got evidence of this Keith or is it a gut feeling because it’s a very serious allegation.  The dealers were getting fined by the manufacturer for not declaring cancellations to stop them ordering for stock.  I think there’s too much at stake for them to knowingly do this.  

• Thanks 1

By 'cancel' I mean that the dealer actively manipulates the customer to cancel their order or walk away from the purchase. The latter happened to me at a (non-Toyota) dealer when I bought a pre-reg car last year, and the used prices had increased by > £3K between the time I ordered/agreed the price, and the handover date. The salesperson (surprise, no longer with the company, probably an estate agent now) tried pretty much everything he could before and at the handover, in the hope I'd give up. Exactly what occurred would be TL:DR (one example: suddenly claiming price was contingent on accepting their pathetic p/ex deal, sorry, sold the potential p/ex via Motorway, where exactly in the paperwork does it say...?). I'd guess that walking away would be recorded as 'customer backed out of purchase'

And, like I said, check out the used YC prices on the official Toyota website: A YC dynamic AWD, one year old, £39777 (Steven Eagell Oxford). Really? That's > £10K over the order price for our new YC Excel AWD. If demand >> supply, especially with such long lead times for some cars/manufacturers, these silly used prices aren't too surprising

I would applaud the sanctions that the manufacturers might bring to stop this happening on new orders, but boy, the dealers must be soooo tempted.....

• Confused 1

I have ordered my YC icon back in September and MyT apps finally shows "onnaing" in the build field. How long would it takes roughly from "onnaing" to the dealer? Thanks guys. 

2 hours ago, SinglePointSafety said:

By 'cancel' I mean that the dealer actively manipulates the customer to cancel their order or walk away from the purchase. The latter happened to me at a (non-Toyota) dealer when I bought a pre-reg car last year, and the used prices had increased by > £3K between the time I ordered/agreed the price, and the handover date. The salesperson (surprise, no longer with the company, probably an estate agent now) tried pretty much everything he could before and at the handover, in the hope I'd give up. Exactly what occurred would be TL:DR (one example: suddenly claiming price was contingent on accepting their pathetic p/ex deal, sorry, sold the potential p/ex via Motorway, where exactly in the paperwork does it say...?). I'd guess that walking away would be recorded as 'customer backed out of purchase'

And, like I said, check out the used YC prices on the official Toyota website: A YC dynamic AWD, one year old, £39777 (Steven Eagell Oxford). Really? That's > £10K over the order price for our new YC Excel AWD. If demand >> supply, especially with such long lead times for some cars/manufacturers, these silly used prices aren't too surprising

I would applaud the sanctions that the manufacturers might bring to stop this happening on new orders, but boy, the dealers must be soooo tempted.....

Keep digging....is it just me...but most of this is poo!

• Confused 1

No it's just you. I too could relate something not dissimilar to this. Fortunately it had a happy ending but I have cause to believe things were not done as "proper" as they might have been. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Bob66, which parts of my posts are you confused by? Or doubt? What happened to me was, IMHO, a very clear case of the salesperson wanting me to walk away from the sale, so he could then sell the car to someone else for a lot more money. Remember: a dealer or salesperson is not your friend, they exist to make £££ and sales people are under a lot of pressure to maximise profit and earn commission

I actually don't blame the salesperson: he was probably counting on making a fair bit of money from the p/ex and that didn't happen. I declined all of the paint treatment/GAP insurance/tyre insurance etc etc and decided I didn't require finance, so further eroding his profit and commission (plenty of articles around about just how much the average punter gets fleeced by these)

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

And you are echoing a point raised earlier in this thread (I had a long time for my order to arrive to follow it): dealer staff are not car salesman these days as much as they are financial advisors. Why wouldn't you prefer a customer who signs the agreements over one that pays cash?

My Yaris Cross design arrived at the dealership on Friday 11 December.  No contact from the dealer since then but I’m in no rush to pick up my car due to the freezing temperatures.  However, on checking the MyT app there are 2 notifications displayed:

Warning detected: Pre-Collision System.  High severity-have your car inspected immediately.

Warning detected: Vehicle stability Control System.  High severity-have your car inspected immediately.

Hope these warnings just need to be reset.  At first I had a horrendous vision that my Yaris had fallen from the top deck of the car transporter.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

And one more thing.... on various other forums (particularly remember a Skoda forum), people have/had been discussing this:

They'd ordered cars before the supply chain issues had really hit and hence got reasonable discounts and guaranteed prices. Suddenly, super-long lead times, no useful info on ETA and thus had decided to choose another car with better availability. But they realised that they could continue with their original order and when it eventually arrived, sell their brand-new car for several £K more than they'd paid

Let's say they talked to their supplying dealer about this possible strategy.... given that it's much easier for a dealer to sell a new car than a private seller.... (you can fill in the rest of the script, variants according to your degree of cynicism, but in all variants both dealer and customer profit)

I would dearly love to know if anyone actually pays those prices shown on the Toyota website used YCs

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links