Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Cross - delivery, etc .......

Toyota_FanBoy

11 hours ago, anchorman said:

They’re looking at pushing the MOT out to 4 years which probably makes sense given cars are far more durable than when 3 years was introduced.  

MOT at 3yr has nothing to do with a cars durability. Most 3yr old cars fail with cracked windscreens, worn or faulty tyres, worn Wiper Blades, worn brake pads or discs ( a car that's had little use could suffer warped discs ) etc.

There've been a few posts about dealers pestering recent (18-month-ish) customers to part-ex their car for a new one.

At least part of the reason is Toyota UK seem to be throwing money at dealers to get them to sign people up to new/renewed PCP, enough that they can offer fairly large discounts to the point it more than cancels out the increased interest.

I'm not sure why they're doing this, but if they'd offered a Mk4 with more stuff I would have been tempted! Sadly the newer Mk4s are objectively worse than my one so it's a pretty hard sell. I did tell the sales agent if they put the HUD back and added a 360 degree camera, heated steering-wheel and seats, we could talk :laugh: 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, RonYarisX said:

MOT at 3yr has nothing to do with a cars durability.

The Government's consultation includes the following:

"In more recent years, modern vehicles have become generally more resilient to wear and tear with improvements in manufacturing techniques and materials, and it now seems appropriate to review the timing of the first MOT inspection for those vehicles requiring a first test at three years." 

The full consultation document - MOT – Extending the date of the first MOT test from three years to four years (publishing.service.gov.uk)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Personally I'm against this; The problem is, as always, not the cars but the people.

It's amazing how many new-ish cars I see with e.g. one functioning brake light or a tyre that is visibly too low pressure; If anything I think the 3-year exemption for new cars should be removed, as the MOT is the only thing that can force people to fix such issues.

As it is, the number of cars I see on the roads that visibly wouldn't pass an MOT, yet are somehow always there year after year (Big rust holes, wipers all bent, tyres practically bald, no functioning lights, exhaust belching smoke all colours of the rainbow, etc.) tells me there are some very big loopholes in the system that need plugging...

• Like 6

4 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The Government's consultation includes the following:

"In more recent years, modern vehicles have become generally more resilient to wear and tear with improvements in manufacturing techniques and materials, and it now seems appropriate to review the timing of the first MOT inspection for those vehicles requiring a first test at three years." 

The full consultation document - MOT – Extending the date of the first MOT test from three years to four years (publishing.service.gov.uk)

Yeh I know. And when did any government consultation relate to life in the real world?

The people who write and conduct these things haven't a clue but it keeps them in a job. There's a whole government department based on coming up with answers to questions that were never asked.

The reality is whenever they start to consult motoring organisations and especially safety campaigners, the idea will never be heard of again. Now if they were saying the 1st MOT was going to be brought forward to 2nd year, that'd have a better chance of success.  

• Like 1

I happened to be in a non Toyota franchised dealership today and couldn't help but notice a Yaris Cross on the other side of the forecourt - so went over for a nosey before I left.

Next month the car will be 1yr old. It's a blue Excel in great condition ( on the outside at least, never saw inside ) with 7777 miles on the clock. It was the std car with no extras and was a relatively local registration. The dealer was asking £30k

I had my tablet with me so checked out price of a new car. The price + metallic paint came to just under £29720. But as Toyota are currently offering a £1750 PCP incentive, that makes it £28k.  That's if you order it from the Toyota dealer a 5min walk away.

But if you go thru a broker, you can buy the same car from a UK Toyota dealer for £25k

In all my years of buying cars I've never seen anything like it. My gut instinct is that if anyone is considering paying that for a used car, to only buy it on PCP and secure some sort of GFV as I reckon those folk are going to be in for a nasty shock when they sell the car.

If Toyota are flooding the market with new registrations then it's a recipe for disaster on used prices. I've seen other manufacturers do this but never thought Toyota as one of them.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, RonYarisX said:

Yeh I know. And when did any government consultation relate to life in the real world?

The people who write and conduct these things haven't a clue but it keeps them in a job. There's a whole government department based on coming up with answers to questions that were never asked.

The reality is whenever they start to consult motoring organisations and especially safety campaigners, the idea will never be heard of again. Now if they were saying the 1st MOT was going to be brought forward to 2nd year, that'd have a better chance of success.  

Interesting, in Ireland the has four years old and is due MOT/NCT.

• Like 3

Hi, Ordered Yaris Cross Dynamic May22...it was cancelled October22 and I swapped for GR Sport same spec same price. App says gone in to build yesterday so eventually I'll have a car 23 plate 10 months.

Ron, in my case my Corolla went at 2.5 years and the dealer had it on the forecourt next week with a £4,500 markup. 

The only reason I can think for someone to buy at that higher price is to meet a short notice need. 

When I bought my Corolla it was a February to 1st April deal.  Had it been a 9 month wait to would have faced significant costs keeping my Mercedes going: £££ for pneumatic suspension, £££ tyres, £££ servicing and MOT.  Selling the car to my garage and avoiding those running cost saved virtually all the first year costs. 

• Like 1

On 1/31/2023 at 1:30 PM, squadrondavid said:

Mine has JTD and was built in France. 

Screenshot_2023-01-31-13-29-47-97_715cf539f279538cd75643f24ff867f8.jpg

Hello. I saw that my car was in Derbyshire on the MyT app some days ago and it still shows the same, however,  when I checked on the website it showed the previous location (Grimsby). Do anyone know what might be the issue? 

There isn’t an issue.

My car was exactly the same, Grimsby is the port of arrival in the UK.  Then it goes to Burnaston (Derbyshire).  Soon it will tell you it’s at the dealer ….mine was about two weeks but it all depends on delivery schedules.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

39 minutes ago, Graham47 said:

There isn’t an issue.

My car was exactly the same, Grimsby is the port of arrival in the UK.  Then it goes to Burnaston (Derbyshire).  Soon it will tell you it’s at the dealer ….mine was about two weeks but it all depends on delivery schedules.

Thank you for your response. The salesperson sent me a message some days ago that ETA is 08/02/23

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Graham47 said:

There isn’t an issue.

No quite true...my car is now at Portbury....didn't go to Grimsby.

41 minutes ago, Bob66 said:

No quite true...my car is now at Portbury....didn't go to Grimsby.

I wasn’t referring to your car !
The OP’s car was at Grimsby !

• Confused 1

On 2/1/2023 at 5:01 PM, RonYarisX said:

MOT at 3yr has nothing to do with a cars durability. Most 3yr old cars fail with cracked windscreens, worn or faulty tyres, worn wiper blades, worn brake pads or discs ( a car that's had little use could suffer warped discs ) etc.

Of course it does. All the things that matter like steering, suspension and brakes have become considerably more reliable.  There is a duty of care by the owner to make sure their car is roadworthy and anyone that turns up at MOT with worn tyres and wipers deserves everything they get.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

So, on-topic, the average for a mid spec, no factory extras hybrid Yaris is about 5 months after order. That will mean end of May for the new Mrs. car.

15 hours ago, Bob66 said:

Grimsby is the port of arrival in the UK. 

Then why did you state above!!!!!!

• Confused 2

20 minutes ago, Bob66 said:

Then why did you state above!!!!!!

Grimsby is the “usual” port of arrival for European built Toyotas.  However, for some strange reason they occasionally send them to Portbury.  That might be for logistical reasons or it might be a fluke with the app.  It would be interesting to see the VIN No of such a vehicle to see where it was built.   They also send some by train via Calais but he’s right that most go to Grimsby.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

When you see it has been to Derby, but then says Grimsby - usually means it has left/leaving Derby and on way to dealer. I've seen it reported a few times, and our Yaris did the same this week. Arrived at dealer the day after it had supposedly gone back to Grimsby.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, pauly69 said:

When you see it has been to Derby, but then says Grimsby - usually means it has left/leaving Derby and on way to dealer. I've seen it reported a few times, and our Yaris did the same this week. Arrived at dealer the day after it had supposedly gone back to Grimsby.

Thanks for the reassurance. 

Mine has been stuck in Grimsby for the last 7 days.

You would think as it still has to go to Derby there would be a transporter full of Toyota's leaving to head South.

Tel

• Like 1

Wonder where they go if you order from a Grimsby dealer.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, squadrondavid said:

Thanks for the reassurance. 

It's now at the dealership, I was called in to sort the paperwork, only to find out that it wasn't the specs I ordered. 

• Sad 3

5 hours ago, squadrondavid said:

It's now at the dealership, I was called in to sort the paperwork, only to find out that it wasn't the specs I ordered. 

What was incorrect?

5 hours ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

Wonder where they go if you order from a Grimsby dealer.

I know you are joking but I rather think it would still go to Derby.  They send out a transporter with all the different models from Derby.  I suspect it has to have the fuses and locking wheel nuts done there too.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links