Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Alarm too sensitive.

G4HFG Graham

2019 UK RAV4 Dynamic.   Alarm occasionally activates when it is unattended and parked  on our property in a fenced enclosure.  CCTV assures us that it has not been tampered with.   

This evening we noticed that there was a small fly in the cabin performing aerobatic maneuvers,  therefore we concluded that the sensors are too sensitive.  We disabled the cabin sensors by pushing the button and it appears that the problem goes away. 

Our question is, is the sensitivity of the alarm owner adjustable please?  

14 June 2020 reduced.jpg

I doubt that a small fly would trip the alarm unless it landed physically on one of the sensors.  I've had alarms go off in the past but that's been attributable to gusts of wind rocking the car, even in situations I'd originally thought would be protected from the wind.  I don't think you can change the internal alarm sensitivity you might want to check that one of the sensors has not be knocked and moved out of place? 

Last Wednesday we had terrific thunder and lightening, late afternoon and then early evening. The alarm on my Prius went off both times and the Auris on the first occasion. Never known such loud thunder claps before. A rose bush opposite the kitchen window shook with the air movement of the first thunder clap.

The owners handbook suggests that the "Sensitivity adjustment of the intrusion sensor when the window is open" is adjustable from Standard to Low by the dealer (rather than the owner).

I did once have exactly those symptoms (on a Volvo) which was eventually traced to a fault in the wiring loom. Either way, I suspect that you will need to get the dealer to resolve ...

Living close to farm land in Lincolnshire for the past two years we noticed that mid/end July there are many small flies which seem to be fearless. 

This time last year we experienced false alarms which only ceased when we switched off the interior sensor as an alternative to waiting and fly swotting.    

Now the flies are less prolific and there is less of a chance of giving them a free ride we have switched the interior alarm back on.  There have been no false alarms to date.  Going forwards, at this time of the year we will remember to keep the windows & roof closed and to use the A/C.  Problem solved.        

On 8/2/2021 at 6:13 AM, ernieb said:

I doubt that a small fly would trip the alarm unless it landed physically on one of the sensors.  I've had alarms go off in the past but that's been attributable to gusts of wind rocking the car, even in situations I'd originally thought would be protected from the wind.  I don't think you can change the internal alarm sensitivity you might want to check that one of the sensors has not be knocked and moved out of place? 

Oh yes they do. It’s all about the air pressure sensor.