Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Parking assist on Corolla GR Sport 2021

RM2021

Hi, I've just ordered the Corolla GR Sport 2.0, hoping to take delivery in mid September.    The salesman definitely mentioned automatic parking, but can someone clarify if this means it just parallel parks by itself, or will it also help with reverse parking, ie backing into a parking space or reversing into a garage?     

It can parallel park and reverse park but you control the gears (forward/reverse) and accelerator/brake.  If the car does not detect a 'space' it will not initiate the park assist function.  I've tried it a couple of times (in a private car park) but I find it quicker and less stressful to use my mirrors/sensors/common sense to get it into and out of spaces.  The procedure to park involves stopping adjacent to the proposed space so it can be detected (or not detected), and cycling through the park assist function to select parallel or reverse parking. To me it's more of a gimmick than a reliable feature.

• Like 2

I agree with Rambler56 - it's a bit of a faff to use the feature and can be stressful if someone is waiting for you to finish parking so they can get past you in a car park or on a narrow-ish street for example. It's fun to try it once or twice, though, is pretty cool and works surprisingly well. I recommend a large quiet car park to practice it first.

I will just add that this feature is of no assistance whatsoever with getting your car into a garage so forget that idea.

• Like 2

I have used it twice for parallel parking and it works.  However on both occasions the car ended up too far from the pavement for my liking so I am unlikely to use it again.  

• Like 1

A person can park a lot more efficiently and quickly (in general), for me the self parking is a bit of a gimmick but I do sometimes use it to spice things up 😂

For reverse parking in my experience it needs 3 cars (sides and back) or a solid objects as it's done using the parking sensors. You just need to change the gear (reverse or drive) when prompted and apply gentle braking or acceleration. If you tap the accelerator a bit too much the process is sped up which is kinda amusing while the wheel is frantically spun around by the car 😂

I don't have a usable garage so I've not tried but I wouldn't be 100% convinced it will work if reliably.

I think the mistake people make with this sort of stuff is trusting it 100% to do it and then blame the car when it messes up or causes damage. You are in control at all times to stop the process and check your surroundings.

I have currently a 2019 Corolla Design and I don't expect the behaviour is any different between mine and the current models.

Agree with the rest, it's a bit of fun but it can be quicker to do it yourself. Also the manoeuvre appears to be just programmed steps so where you actually end up will depend on where you start. It will avoid a collision and can handle tight spaces so it has that going for it but it will also happily leave you so close to the vehicle on your right that you can't get out. You can of course adjust the position afterwards yourself.

• Like 2