Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2020 Corolla LE Engine Has No Getup and Go? Compared to Toyota Loaner

Maineman

Hi all,

I have a problem and Toyota gave me a loner car and the getup and go it way better than mine. It's the same exact car. When I get on the highway and excel it seems takes 5 seconds to go into another gear. My car I almost need to turn off the air conditioner off till I get ups to speed. They had my car for 5 days driving it and said they had no problem. I don't think the technician didn't compare it. 

I drove the loaner for 5 days and I can tell the difference. (Loaner has 10,000 more miles on it) I have had this car for over a year and I have complained about the cruise control being a little wavy too.

Below is the reply they sent me about the transmission. 

Toyota wrote:

Your technician has completed the health check and road testing of your 2020 Corolla. It is operating as designed at this time. I have printed you a copy of the health check report showing all systems passing. There are no diagnostic trouble codes in the car. As a caveat and an fyi, depending on how the 2020 Corolla’s are equipped/optioned, there are 3 different cvt transmissions available to these. It is entirely possible that the loaner car has a different model cvt transmission than yours. But, being yours is driving normally when we have driven it, there are no trouble codes in your ecu (electronic control unit) and all systems pass on the health check, there is nothing more we can do at this time. I will be calling you shortly, but your Corolla is ready for pickup.

3 different cvt transmissions available mean I got the bad one? 

Help please.

Thank you

Hello Michael, welcome to Toyota Owners Club.     

You are not in the UK, what country are you in???            What size engine do you have???                Is it a hybrid car???                The only Corolla cars in the uk are now are 1.8 or 2.0 hybrids that have an e-cvt.                             For a short time there was a 1.2 turbo petrol that was non-hybrid, now not sold in uk.

The OP is in the US, and the Corolla LE is a US model.

Would be useful to know the engine size of both the LE and the loan car.

Presumably the response is from the dealer and not Toyota US directly.

I have just googled this and it looks like the LE Is a 1.8 and a SE is 2.0 so perhaps your loan car was a 2.0 i know when I tested the 2.0 in the uk it felt significantly quicker than the 1.8.

are you driving your car around in eco mode as it will feel sluggish in this mode.

2021 COROLLA LE VS. SE: ENGINES

The LE has a solid engine with some impressive fuel economy specs. The SE engine is sportier, with an option for 6-speed manual transmission that reduces your gas mileage a little. Here is the difference between the Corolla LE and SE engines:

2021 TOYOTA COROLLA LE ENGINE

• 1.8L 4-Cylinder
  • 139 hp
  • 126 lb-ft of torque
  • EPA-estimated 30 / 38 / 33 city / hhy / combined mpg**

2021 TOYOTA COROLLA SE ENGINE

• 2.0L 4-Cylinder engine with VVT
  • 169 hp
  • 151 lb-ft of torque
  • EPA-estimated 31 / 40 / 34  city / hwy / combined mpg**

2021 TOYOTA COROLLA SE MANUAL TRANSMISSION ENGINE

• 169 hp
  • 151 lb-ft of torque
  • EPA-estimated 29 / 36 / 32 city / hwy / combined mpg**

On 8/2/2021 at 8:57 PM, Rosgoe said:

2021 TOYOTA COROLLA LE ENGINE

• 1.8L 4-Cylinder
  • 139 hp
  • 126 lb-ft of torque
  • EPA-estimated 30 / 38 / 33 city / hhy / combined mpg**

2021 TOYOTA COROLLA SE ENGINE

• 169 hp
  • 151 lb-ft of torque
  • EPA-estimated 31 / 40 / 34  city / hwy / combined mpg**

Something wrong there. That implies that the EPA mpg is better for the 2.0 litre engine. It's magic I tell's ya!

4 hours ago, AndrueC said:

Something wrong there. That implies that the EPA mpg is better for the 2.0 litre engine. It's magic I tell's ya!

Noticed that too, however the 1.8 is the older type engines like Avensis and Auris from 2010-> where the 2.0 is the new type Toyota engines with dual injection like Corolla hybrid 2.0, Camry hybrid and RAV4 hybrid 2.5. , plus these have latest cvt with actual first gear for launch, the  1.8 has older transmission., perhaps this is the reason for the better fuel efficiency from 2.0 cvt. 

6 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Noticed that too, however the 1.8 is the older type engines like Avensis and Auris from 2010-> where the 2.0 is the new type Toyota engines with dual injection like Corolla hybrid 2.0, Camry hybrid and RAV4 hybrid 2.5. , plus these have latest cvt with actual first gear for launch, the  1.8 has older transmission., perhaps this is the reason for the better fuel efficiency from 2.0 cvt. 

Perhaps but the figures posted here by forum members seem to clearly indicate that the 2.0 is the more thirsty unit.

58 minutes ago, AndrueC said:

Perhaps but the figures posted here by forum members seem to clearly indicate that the 2.0 is the more thirsty unit.

Agreed, but in US the Corollas are non hybrid versions and that’s probably what plays the role. They only have Corolla saloon hybrid 1.8 in low trim LE with 15” wheels. 

11 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Agreed, but in US the Corollas are non hybrid versions and that’s probably what plays the role. They only have Corolla saloon hybrid 1.8 in low trim LE with 15” wheels. 

Ah! I'd forgotten that.

• Like 1