Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Loss of power after fuel suction plate recall

Greengate

Hello, first time poster, so hello, and apologies for starting out with a question, but I'm hoping someone can advise as I'm not sure what to do. 

I had my Auris (petrol) in at the Toyota dealership for a section plate recall. Has been driving perfectly. They delivered it back to my house and when I took it out the ignition choked badly, on starting it up the power was very low and then slowed to a crawl. On limping home at the end of the journey it felt a little better, so I thought teething problems and tried again. On going up a steepish hill it lost power again.

A technician came out the next day, tried it and said it was fine and nothing was leaking. So I thought it had settled down. When I took it out that evening the ignition choked and it lost power again on the hill, then jerked forward as some power returned. Also the engine and traction control lights came on.

I drove it to the dealership the next day. Again the ignition choked but it drove fine (short, flat journey).

The dealership say it's fine. They've replaced the seal, but that's all.

Does anyone know what the deeper problem may be? Is it just settling down or is there a more fundamental problem? I have a long drive coming up and want to be sure it won't die on me on a big road. If there are still problems but the dealership can't find a problem to fix what do I do?

Many thanks for any help 

Hi, 

that is not usual and it is not something about setting down itself. No idea what can be but if it wasn’t present before the dealer work, then dealer should investigate more thoroughly and fix the car for you. A word with service manager again might help. You said there were warning lights on dashboard, perhaps a fault was detected and dealer has seen that, are there still warnings when car goes into limp mode?   The problem you describe sounds engine starving for fuel or too much fuel goes in. Something it’s not attached correctly or some sort of blockage has occurred along the fuel lines I guess. 
Good luck 

Thank you for replying Tony. The warning lights came on the second time and third times I drove the car, when it felt like it was driving okay and when it lost power. It feels as you say like some issue with delivery of the fuel. The garage have test-driven it twice and tell me it's fine, but when I drive it the ignition always chokes and it loses power, but not on the last drive I did. 

8 minutes ago, Greengate said:

Thank you for replying Tony. The warning lights came on the second time and third times I drove the car, when it felt like it was driving okay and when it lost power. It feels as you say like some issue with delivery of the fuel. The garage have test-driven it twice and tell me it's fine, but when I drive it the ignition always chokes and it loses power, but not on the last drive I did. 

I don’t know what exactly they had changed on recall work., only the seal, the large closing nut or the entire unit? Here is the picture, but any of those been replaced they had to disconnect the fuel lines and reconnect. Have you fill up with fuel ever since and how much fuel you have in the tank? 

51E5CB53-E342-4AD9-8FBE-6AAB398AB802.jpeg

14E38D93-C8D2-4A01-80AA-6E0D2804B057.jpeg

Thanks again Tony, this is really helpful. The paperwork just says "fuel suction plate recall" I would imagine the whole unit, but I don't know for sure. I took the car in 1/4 tank and when I got it back my first journey was two mins up the road to put a full tank in. That was the time I turned the ignition and it was choking about 5 times before starting up, drove 2 mins to the petrol station, felt a bit weak, but it's only 2 mins in a 20mph zone. On leaving the petrol station it went into proper limp.

So, before they fitted this recall it was working fine?

They fitted the recall part, which is to do with fuel, and since the engine has not been working correctly, signs of a fuel problem.

Take the car back to the dealer, ask to speak to the service manager, and tell them the car was working fine before their work, and now it is'nt and you want them to sort.  Dont take "no" for an answer, if the service manager cant/wont help ask to see dealer principle.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Greengate said:

Thanks again Tony, this is really helpful. The paperwork just says "fuel suction plate recall" I would imagine the whole unit, but I don't know for sure. I took the car in 1/4 tank and when I got it back my first journey was two mins up the road to put a full tank in. That was the time I turned the ignition and it was choking about 5 times before starting up, drove 2 mins to the petrol station, felt a bit weak, but it's only 2 mins in a 20mph zone. On leaving the petrol station it went into proper limp.

Ok, you can open the fuel cap and leave it open for minute see if any air escapes, then close it and drive as usual. You may need to finish your tank before they take the car for further investigation if the problem is still there. , or they have to pump the fuel out before any work as  they will need less than a half tank in. My car went for the same recall few years ago but luckily there were no problems afterwards. 

Thank you both,

Joe - exactly that, it was driving fine before the recall, and then failed badly as soon as I drove it. it's in at the dealership now. they phoned yesterday to say they replaced the seal and to come and pick it up. I said that as i have a long journey coming up I'd like them to look at it further as the fail seemed serious to me. The problem is they test drive it and tell me it's fine, but when I drive it, it's really not. A bit like when you're sick and go to the doctors it clears up and they don't believe you're sick!

Thanks Tony, I'll try that with the fuel cap when I get it back.

Thanks again for the help,

Sarah 

• Like 1

What is the recall for Tony.   I had our Auris for 4 years now and I cannot remember a recall to do with fuel

13 minutes ago, Catlover said:

What is the recall for Tony.   I had our Auris for 4 years now and I cannot remember a recall to do with fuel

Same as Sarah’s one., “fuel suction plate”  was around 4 years ago. They did removed the rear seats though since I found a small screwdriver left over in the rear footwell after collecting the car 😅👍

• Like 3

Hello, Just a quick update. I have the car back from the dealership now. Only done a couple of short journeys, but it does to be fair feel fine. I will test it with a long journey tomorrow. Just wanted to say thanks for all your help. Sarah 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I had my 2009 recalled for the fuel suction plate. All was fine except, the rear seat and seat belt were not put back properly. I later sorted that myself -  

One thing to note, is they may have disconnected the Battery, so the ECU forgets it's idle setting. I had this when replacing the Battery last year. There are two ways for the car to return to normal - do the paperclip reset process or drive the car for a while. The car will relearn as it is being driven, so should be fine by now. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Had the fuel suction plate recall on our 2013 1.6 petrol CVT a couple of months back, didn’t have any power issues subsequently.