Do Not Sell My Personal Information

~~~~ 6 bloomin months!!!! ~~~~~~

Rav Rob

Placed an order with lease company for my 2nd new shape RAV4 replacement,  initial estimate for delivery is 6 months, have they switched production to Mars?

Anyone else in the last 6 months told a long delivery date but got it much earlier? someone give me hope!! lol

Ordered a 2WD Excel last week, told delivery early November. 6 months does seem a bit excessive...... 

• Like 1

Many manufacturers are suffering from the silicon drought at present, for some brands 6 months is realistic, Toyota re-worked it’s supply chain after events a few years ago and has been affected to a lesser extent. 6 Months seems pessimistic, but possible. 

Ordered a 4wd Excel.. no sunroof or JBL etc, standard.  I will have to check back, I think my last one did move earlier over time... sigh.

1 hour ago, Rav Rob said:

Placed an order with lease company for my 2nd new shape RAV4 replacement,  initial estimate for delivery is 6 months, have they switched production to Mars?

Anyone else in the last 6 months told a long delivery date but got it much earlier? someone give me hope!! lol

Nope. Under 8 weeks from order for a RAV4 PHEV Dynamic Premium with some extras. Company car scheme which is a lease with ARVAL. Turns up in 3 weeks.

Would have been under 4 weeks if I wanted red but didn't want that. Red car experience, everyone wants to ram you or race you.

Volvo XC60 Recharge order wait was 6 to 7 months. I cancelled that since as well as the chip crisis causing the delay they also dropped off several key driver aids and safety features without telling anyone. 

• Like 1

Ordered Design model last week in April. Told to expect it next week……we’ll see.

• Like 2

Asked about a new car a few weeks ago and was told that factory order is 16+ weeks. However, there are plenty of pipeline stock coming, that can be delivered in a few weeks, but might not be to the spec you need.

My late June order is still showing as landing in the UK 19th August, so about 10 weeks.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rav4ster said:

Asked about a new car a few weeks ago and was told that factory order is 16+ weeks. However, there are plenty of pipeline stock coming, that can be delivered in a few weeks, but might not be to the spec you need.

I would consider a change for sure but communicating with the company and then the lease company is frustratingly unresponsive. Might try.

This supply issue appears to be resulting in a price increase of used RAV4s. Glad I bought mine in March before showrooms opened again as those currently available of a similar spec, age and mileage are up for sale at £2000 to £3000 more than I paid.

Naturally I am sure this won't be reflected in trade-in value !

12 hours ago, Peterd23 said:

This supply issue appears to be resulting in a price increase of used RAV4s. Glad I bought mine in March before showrooms opened again as those currently available of a similar spec, age and mileage are up for sale at £2000 to £3000 more than I paid.

Naturally I am sure this won't be reflected in trade-in value !

Used car prices have gone up significantly, even WBAC are offering thousands more than pre COVID cars cost despite being 18 months older at this point.

I waited 9 months for a new Golf R back in 2015 due to demand. Lots of issues currently with microchips, COVID etc. Big delays are understandable 

Toyota have to some extent mitigated against the effects of the microchip shortages as they effectively worked with suppliers to stock devices giving something like a 6 month supply. This was set up after the problems caused by the tsunami and the nuclear reactor problems.  All of the manufacturers are having issues some more than others but I also think that Toyota have a large order book especially in the USA.  The US is still giving large Federal and often State financial support to Toyota RAV4 PHEV’s bringing the price below the price of the Hybrid.  People are travelling the length of the country to get access to stock and many dealerships are putting on a few extras and charging a fortune.

From what I’ve seen the EU manufacturers are struggling and VW are talking about 12 months before the situation is resolved, for VW you can also read Seat, Skoda etc.

On 8/3/2021 at 5:37 PM, Langbank said:

Ordered Design model last week in April. Told to expect it next week……we’ll see.

Pick it up on Tuesday confirmed by dealer.

3 hours ago, Langbank said:

Pick it up on Tuesday confirmed by dealer.

from Helensburgh by any chance?

40 minutes ago, Heidfirst said:

from Helensburgh by any chance?

No, Islay. Dealer in Linwood.

I don't fully buy the chip excuse, I see no shortage of silicon out there, processors, memory, all kinds of consumer goods right down to solar garden lights all depend on chips and are plentiful and at near regular prices. Its said that plants switched to commercial product chips due to lack of demand from automotive. Well demand is there now, and I am sure automotive manufacturers will pay good rates for supplies so they can make and shift vehicles. Its not that hard to switch die production, they do it all the time, if there is good money to be made in engine management chips the producers are not stupid, they would make it happen.

Perhaps its really all part of the global environmental conspiracy to make us all take up bicycles.... 

It’s not just changes in production but factories were being closed or destroyed. In the US facilities were closed the early part of the year due to  cold weather, in Taiwan lots of factories were closed due to a drought and in Japan a major factory burnt down.  Switching off a semiconductor factory is not easy and extremely difficult to get it up and running again and even more difficult producing high yield chips.  It all sounds simple but reestablishing even the clean room facilities is difficult enough. The amount of chips required today in modern cars is enormous as seen by some car manufacturers now keeping going by reducing the on board technologies and specs, Volvo being one.  I also think that Covid made additional problems, shipping shortages, lack of materials, manufacturing chemical and gas supply problems. For many parts of the world production was significantly compromised. 

As ive said above Toyota had already established a mitigation plan based on earlier capacity problems not only did they invest in facilities themselves they financed joint ownership deals in others.

I’m sure that some manufacturers will use the chip issues to hide other failings but I certainly believe that for many it’s a real problem still and likely to be for potentially some time to come.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Langbank said:

Langbank? Used to live there - opposite Dumbarton Rock.

Perhaps not why you use Langbank though.🙂

3 hours ago, Langbank said:

Queen of the Hebrides, lucky you. 🙂

Arnold Clark then. I saw the Argyll in the profile & Helensburgh Toyota seem to sell quite a lot to Oban etc.

48 minutes ago, Lawnmowerman said:

Langbank? Used to live there - opposite Dumbarton Rock.

Perhaps not why you use Langbank though.🙂

Lived there a number of years ago for a couple of years.

20 minutes ago, Heidfirst said:

Queen of the Hebrides, lucky you. 🙂

Arnold Clark then. I saw the Argyll in the profile & Helensburgh Toyota seem to sell quite a lot to Oban etc.

Yeah I dealt with AC Linwood with my company car and found them ok. Family are in the Paisley area so it made sense for me to go there.

19 hours ago, Rav Rob said:

I don't fully buy the chip excuse, I see no shortage of silicon out there, processors, memory, all kinds of consumer goods right down to solar garden lights all depend on chips and are plentiful and at near regular prices. Its said that plants switched to commercial product chips due to lack of demand from automotive. Well demand is there now, and I am sure automotive manufacturers will pay good rates for supplies so they can make and shift vehicles. Its not that hard to switch die production, they do it all the time, if there is good money to be made in engine management chips the producers are not stupid, they would make it happen.

Perhaps its really all part of the global environmental conspiracy to make us all take up bicycles.... 

I couldnt get hold of a high end GPU card nor get a sensible price for a high end laptop or even get a high end laptop with a GTX 3 series chip. Combination of chip crisis and a high demand because of cryptocurrency mining.

I cancelled my Volvo XC60 Recharge T6 2022 order before I went for a R4P because they quoted a 7 month delay and half the safety features and driver aids weren't being included. Everything from blind spot indication to cross traffic alert and more. That was chip crisis. Spoke to the fleet manager and dealers. All said the same.