Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hybrid Health Check

Dave47

In the service book it outlines that in relation to the warranty the car should have a full service every two years and a oil and filter change every 12 months depending on the mileage. It also mentions the Hybrid Health Check but on a different page. Does this mean that the health check is an option rather than a warranty requirement.

Toyota service intervals are 12 months or 10,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

Intermediate services are due at year 1/10,000 miles, year 3/30,000, etc. Full services are due at 2 years/20,000, 4 years/40,000, etc.

If you have the car serviced by a Toyota dealer, they will do a Hybrid Electric service, which includes the hybrid health check. Once the new car warranty expires (5 years/100,000 miles in the case of a 2020 registered car), continuing services by a Toyota dealer will provide the 1 year/10,000  mile Relax warranty with the service (up to when the car is 10 years old) and the extended hybrid Battery warranty for 1 year/10,000 miles (up to the car reaches 15 years of age).

See 

If I took the car to a local non toyota dealership for a service this wouldn't include the hybrid health check.

I've had a look and i can't see it explicitly stating that.  You should probably check with Toyota but you should probably get it checked whoever you go to and if they can't check it then another garage or just the main dealer for a hybrid only check if such a thing exists.

My previous two services have had a Hybrid Health Check.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Dave47 said:

If I took the car to a local non toyota dealership for a service this wouldn't include the hybrid health check.

You would need to check with them as to what they do. Obviously if they identify something as a possible warranty issue, Toyota will want to do their own check via their dealer network rather than rely on a third party. 

Also from a previous topic, the third party dealer won't have access to Toyota's digital service record, so the onus is on you to keep adequate documentation as evidence the car has been serviced correctly with equivalent standard parts - which would be needed in the event of a warranty claim dependent on correct servicing being done. Warranty work would still need to be done by a Toyota dealership.

35 minutes ago, bewA said:

just the main dealer for a hybrid only check if such a thing exists.

It does, iirc it's ~£40 as a standalone item.

• Thanks 1

Yes and if you do get a hybrid health check, make sure you haven't had anything done recently like having a new Battery fitted or any thing which resets anything.

I bought a used Toyota, it looked like the 12V Battery had been replaced, took it in and got 'computer says no' bring it back in several hundred miles. I wouldn't have minded but it took the dealer nearly an hour to inform me and despite them having it, the paper work was nothing more than a sheet of paper saying failed and an error code.

I kind of assumed that Toyota dealers were the experts, so even if they can't complete the full set of tests, they could at least manage a print out of the cell voltages, check for any signs of obvious problems or abnormalities. Nothing, really poor.

I've just had my first service at 10,000+, and the hybrid health check was included.

However,  at £200 (to the fleet management company), they have a good little number going.

Hardly anything actually done, a cursory rinse over and thats it.

Big difference to the local Volvo dealers, who post a video of underbody check, full valet, outstanding service and at a damn site less cost at the time!

I don`t understand why a free H.H.C. should be charged ?

34 minutes ago, john p williams said:

I don`t understand why a free H.H.C. should be charged ?

The hybrid health check is included free if the Toyota dealer carry's out a service on the vehicle.

If you have the vehicle serviced outside the Toyota dealer network then booking the vehicle in to a Toyota dealer for a hybrid health check will be chargeable.

• Like 1

Re hybrid health check - in past years we had the wife’s Auris hybrid serviced at Toyota and the hhc was free and gave the hybrid Battery another year warranty. This year the Auris is 11 years old, so outside of the Relax scheme, and the 5 year plus discount has been dropped, so we getting the service done elsewhere (actually we doing an engine oil/filer change later this year as it’s only done 1100 miles in the last 12 months due to COVID). However we got our Toyota dealer to do the hhc, cost £45 and got the 12 month warranty extension.

• Like 1

Just now, Catlover said:

Re hybrid health check - in past years we had the wife’s Auris hybrid serviced at Toyota and the hhc was free and gave the hybrid battery another year warranty. This year the Auris is 11 years old, so outside of the Relax scheme, and the 5 year plus discount has been dropped, so we getting the service done elsewhere (actually we doing an engine oil/filer change later this year as it’s only done 1100 miles in the last 12 months due to COVID). However we got our Toyota dealer to do the hhc, cost £45 and got the 12 month warranty extension.

Joe, I wonder if your Toyota Dealer would have changed the oil and filter for the same cost as your "indie" charged, had you asked them?

I`m thinking on the basis that income is income however small.

It’s an idea Paul. Unless I ask I won’t find out, will I. May give it a go later in the year. My other thought is, our local garage who has helped us in pre hybrid days, is less then 100yds away. He doesn’t want hybrid work, but willing to do non hybrid work on our hybrid cars. So trying to keep him happy. Apart from that, his work has been less during COVID, it’s hit him. I know even now he shuts up for a week maybe and goes lorry driving to the continent. He needs an income. He’s not young, but heck of a nice guy, and not going to invest in hybrid knowledge etc.

We all like to help each other Joe. (who is Paul?).🤣

• Thanks 1

Well,I reckon it’s you , but your John 🤪, unless your middle name is……..

• Like 1

Does anybody knows what exactly includes this hybrid health check? 
I had done few of them before as stand alone since I take care of my car service and the car wasn’t that old still within warranty, the health check IMO only necessary if you worry about any warranty work that eventually may needed, otherwise just keep filter clean and don’t let the Battery drain completely in an event of running out of fuel, there is nothing else to worry about the hybrid Battery. If there is any fault with the Battery or inverter there will be a warning lights on the dashboard so driver would know there is something that needs attention. My point is do your regular service in Toyota dealer to keep warranty on and to have free health checks, if your car is old like mine and you prefer to do service as diy or other garage do not need to worry about hybrid health check. 👍

Other than what they print off and give you as part of the service stuff when you collect the car from Toyota i don't know what is specifically tested or how it's tested.

5 hours ago, frizzbee30 said:

Big difference to the local Volvo dealers, who post a video of underbody check, full valet, outstanding service and at a damn site less cost at the time!

Just checked the service cost for an S60 at 1 year at my local Volvo dealer (which btw has a bad reputation) - £275.

Whilst imo service at Toyota dealers is generally better than most other mass market brands it is of course variable by individual dealers & it may not be up to the level of luxury brands (who charge more). It's also fair to say that service atm is not as good/personal due to covid restraints.

Down to the level of some luxury brands may be more appropriate Scott!🤣

51 minutes ago, Heidfirst said:

Thanks for the info. I see below the comments and what Toyota describes as tested every owner can do with simple obd 2 scan tool and mobile phone app. I done myself mine and the results were good enough. 👍

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Heidfirst said:

Thanks for that Scott.

I noted the charge for the hhc was £39, I say was because the info sheet was dated 2014.  As in June 2021 we were charged £45.

13 hours ago, frizzbee30 said:

Oh, the same as my Toyota dealership then.  Difference from our Volvo dealership though who totally ignored us when we went to buy a Volvo. 

13 hours ago, frizzbee30 said:

Hardly anything actually done, a cursory rinse over and thats it.

The Toyota dealer I use, also do a video of their visual safety check under body whilst the car is up on the vehicle lift, and which is the first thing they do. If one is waiting for the car, you get the video whilst waiting. Washed and vacuumed afterwards