Do Not Sell My Personal Information

(Footwell) Lights, Camera, Action!

Grompix

Those that have read my recent threads relating to missing fuses in my Mk4 Yaris Excel Hybrid, will perhaps recall I mention that I discovered what appeared to be the wiring harnesses for the footwell lights - but no bulbs / LEDs attached.
It was/is one of my niggles that Toyota should go to the lengths of fitting all the wiring for the lights - but not take one more simple step of snapping some bulbs / LEDs in place from the parts bin during manufacture. Especially on the ‘Excel’ spec of Yaris.

Correct me if I’m wrong here, but it appears only the ‘Launch’ edition gets the fancy blue footwell lights.

Well, I noticed on Youtube (as you do!) that some people have discovered the same thing and fitted the bulbs/LEDs themselves to their own Yaris’s after sending away for the appropriate Toyota parts.

This guy from Italy (Claudiettociov1) has made a good guide video (even if - like me, your Italian is a bit rusty!):-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyNWL6xI1-8

The part numbers he uses for the lights (lamp assembly) are 81080-22040. They are about £20+ each and appear to be located in Dubai! You need four (or five if you go for the one under the USB port too - which I haven’t - yet!).
I thought - bit pricey that!

But, I noticed that you can get 12v LED light strips on eBay very cheaply, so I sent off for some. A pack of 4 strips of blue LEDs for under £4 was not going to break the bank - even if the experiment failed.

Well, I’m chuffed to say it didn’t fail and I now have a Yaris with blue footwell lights, which come on with the courtesy lights - very similar to the Launch edition.

Pictures are worth a thousand words (so they say), so I’ve attached photos of my progress and the results in fitting these LED strips just in case someone else on here wants to have a go on their own Mk4 Yaris.

Of course, I have no idea which Yaris’s were/are fitted with the light harnesses. It might only be the Excel models - but maybe others were/are too.

Still, not a bad upgrade for £4.
Not too difficult and about an hour’s work.
😉👍

A1.Passenger-Side_Panel (Copy).jpg

A2.Passenger_Side _Panel (Copy).jpg

A3.Passenger_Side _Panel (Copy).jpg

A4.Passenger_Side _Panel (Copy).jpg

A5.Passenger_Side _Panel (Copy).jpg

A6.Passenger_Side _Panel (Copy).jpg

A7.Passenger_Side _Panel (Copy).jpg

B1.Driver_Panel (Copy).jpg

B2.Driver_Panel (Copy).jpg

B3.Driver_Panel (Copy).jpg

B4.Driver_Panel (Copy).jpg

C1.Footwell_Lights (Copy).jpg

C2.Footwell_Lights (Copy).jpg

LED-StripLights2 (Copy).jpg

LED-StripsLights1 (Copy).jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

Nice work 👍

Unluckily there's no wiring harness on the front doors ( there's only the hole ) even if someone has found a 12V point where connect wiring also for the doors. 

But I think thats these lights will remain always on when your car is in READY or ACC status.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, RickyC said:

Nice work
Unluckily there's no wiring harness on the front doors ( there's only the hole ) even if someone has found a 12V point where connect wiring also for the doors. 

Thanks Ricky, you saved me a bit of work there.
I was about to dismantle the door panels to look for lighting harness. 😏
I can live without illuminated door handles (I think!)  

That's awesome! Good job, and thanks for taking the time to document it too!! :thumbup:

• Like 1

Completed this on my Mum's excel recently, from my checks it would appear that Dynamic, Excel & Launch editions in the UK all share the same Dash wiring harness so as mentioned above the plugs are all there for the 5 dash led ( Footwell x 4 & centre cubby ) the door harnesses do vary and wiring for door handle led are only present on UK Launch edition. The Toyota part number for the led is 81080-33280 ( for all positions )

We did manage to wire the doors ordering:

2 x led as above

2 x led harness plug 90980-11918

4x led harness wire with terminal 500mm 82998-74060 ( these insert into the plug above ) 

we ran the wires through the door harness grommet and connected to the dash harness where it meets the door harness pins 3 & 18.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

21 minutes ago, Devon Aygo said:

Completed this on my Mum's excel recently, from my checks it would appear that Dynamic, Excel & Launch editions in the UK all share the same Dash wiring harness so as mentioned above the plugs are all there for the 5 dash led ( Footwell x 4 & centre cubby ) the door harnesses do vary and wiring for door handle led are only present on UK Launch edition. The Toyota part number for the led is 81080-33280 ( for all positions )

We did manage to wire the doors ordering:

2 x led as above

2 x led harness plug 90980-11918

4x led harness wire with terminal 500mm 82998-74060 ( these insert into the plug above ) 

we ran the wires through the door harness grommet and connected to the dash harness where it meets the door harness pins 3 & 18.

That's very interesting.
Thanks Lee.

Added an LED to the centre console last night.
Just one LED though, as a whole strip would be too bright for that little cubby-hole.
Again, the LEDs came from e-bay, very cheap and come complete with little screw-holders that fit quite nicely into the hole left by the abandoned Toyota LED fitment.
I ran out of suitable RC-servo leads to cannibalise for this last LED so I just soldered some stiff connecting wire on the ends of the LED leads and covered the joins with heat-shrink tubing. These fitted nice and tightly into the Toyota lighting plug. Wrapped some tape around the plug for extra security and voila!
Make sure you check which pins in the Toyota plug are plus and ground with a multimeter though before connecting any wires as LEDs only work one way round - and the red wire is (usually) plus on the LEDs.
I'm pleased with the result
Pictures attached.
Hope it helps someone else too. 
😉👍

D1.Centre_Console (Copy).jpg

D2.Centre_Console (Copy).jpg

D3.Centre_Console (Copy).jpg

D4.Centre_Console (Copy).jpg

D5.Centre_Console (Copy).jpg

D6.Centre_Console (Copy).jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Keep up the good work Grompix! Are you going to do the door handles next? I’m curious how easy that could be 

4 hours ago, mrpj said:

Hopefully you will not encounter some over zealous Constable! I would check the legalities of blue lghts. Blue footwell lights look to be legal by omission.

Ha! 😁
No, I don't think I have any worries on that score (says he confidently!).
The lights look a lot brighter on the photographs than they do in real-life. Even at dusk (when the shots were taken). 
I know they appear as if the car would be driving by exuding a UFO-like bright-blue haze but the blue light is very ambient and can't be seen from outside the car at all (unless someone is looking in with their nose pressed firmly against the glass!)  
😉👍

3 hours ago, Cjohnston1982 said:

Keep up the good work Grompix! Are you going to do the door handles next? I’m curious how easy that could be 

Thanks 'C'
I 'think' I'll probably give the door handle lights a miss from what Ricky said: -

21 hours ago, RickyC said:

Unluckily, there's no wiring harness on the front doors ( there's only the hole ) even if someone has found a 12V point where connect wiring also for the doors. 

...unless someone else on here knows something different (or an easy work-around)!
😏👍

i have done a fair few vauxhall/nissan led mods for people over the years i tend to go with plastic bezels and flat top, wide angle LEDs

the driver's side is fairly simple on most cars as you have a 12v illumination and a ground on the window switch

Jst connectors will do the job maybe with a bit of hot snot but i do like locking connectors on automotive stuff

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, mrpj said:

I would check the legalities of blue lghts.

They are fine as long as they don't flash.

You can often see lorry cabs with a 'string' of them behind the driver.

Nice job, love mods like this, good write up as well.

Reminds me of my old Ford years ago, that had all the wiring for footwell lights but no bulbs!, amazing what manufacturers will do to save a few pence and now they are even cannier.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, MikeSh said:

You can often see lorry cabs with a 'string' of them behind the driver.

Or a giant distracting Chelsea supporter LED sign. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MikeSh said:

Do you have a source re the leaglities of that Mike? Because HGV cabs display a string of blue lights doesn't make them legal.

I don't want to discuss about rules of a country different from mine but as I understand by the linked article if you simply limit to internal footwell light there's nothing illegal.

Obviusly id your footwell light is so bright that during the nigth your car blights blu through glassed maybe something could not not be so legal... 😉

Good find and nice documentary!

Just for reference, my hybrid Club model bought in Germany, does also have the harness but no LEDs.

I'm going to get some led stripes now. 😊

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mrpj said:

Do you have a source re the leaglities of that Mike? Because HGV cabs display a string of blue lights doesn't make them legal.

I've had a dig around and it seems it's a case of them not being specified. Various opinions on the web of course, but the copy of the lighting regs I found was vague. Some colours are mandatory or specifically prohibited (like red-rear and white-front) and some including blue, green and amber are specified for use with beacons or indicators (ie. flashing lights) for those vehicles.

Since steady blue (or green or amber) isn't prohibited you can't really be prosecuted, though apparently some police think they can issue a fixed penalty for it, like they did for people taking a walk with a cup of coffee during lockdown. A bit of overreach.

Anybody know if the wiring is there on a design model 

• Like 2

But the Premiere has blu ambient light.  I don't think Toyota is selling cars cars that are violating laws.

21 minutes ago, RickyC said:

But the Premiere has blu ambient light.  I don't think Toyota is selling cars cars that are violating laws.

It's only an issue if it's emitting excessive light from the car or flashing - it's classed as ambient lighting

• 1 month later...
On 8/5/2021 at 8:59 AM, Grompix said:

Added an LED to the centre console last night.
Just one LED though, as a whole strip would be too bright for that little cubby-hole.
Again, the LEDs came from e-bay, very cheap and come complete with little screw-holders that fit quite nicely into the hole left by the abandoned Toyota LED fitment.
I ran out of suitable RC-servo leads to cannibalise for this last LED so I just soldered some stiff connecting wire on the ends of the LED leads and covered the joins with heat-shrink tubing. These fitted nice and tightly into the Toyota lighting plug. Wrapped some tape around the plug for extra security and voila!
Make sure you check which pins in the Toyota plug are plus and ground with a multimeter though before connecting any wires as LEDs only work one way round - and the red wire is (usually) plus on the LEDs.
I'm pleased with the result
Pictures attached.
Hope it helps someone else too. 
😉👍

D1.Centre_Console (Copy).jpg

D2.Centre_Console (Copy).jpg

D3.Centre_Console (Copy).jpg

D4.Centre_Console (Copy).jpg

D5.Centre_Console (Copy).jpg

D6.Centre_Console (Copy).jpg

How did you remove the centre console ? Is a special tool required ? 
thanks in advance