Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2.0 corolla top speed

dazayit

Anyone know if the top speed has been limited or is due to some limitations? I know in japan they limited cars to 112 at least some of the anyway.

it's possibly constrained by the drivetrain if not a limiter but at 112mph it's still well above the UK legal limit ... 😛

I wonder if it's still 112mph/180kph in e.g. Germany?

• Like 1

Hi, yes it's the same top speed here in Germany as the UK. 180 is the book speed but can show an indicated 190 when actually on the Autobahn. 

That's probably the speedo overreading - it's only ~5.56% which strikes me as normal for the 3 Toyotas that I have owned.

Going any faster than the top speed of 112 mph could cause an emf (electro magnetic force) which would severely damage the electric motor beyond any repair. The onboard computer would probably close things down before any damage was done.

• Like 2

Why would anyone looking for a high speeds from Corolla hybrid. These cars like 60-80mph max  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just a question I couldn't find the answer for on Google, or I was typing the wrong one and I thought someone in here would know. 

Eduction purposes. I wouldn't be buying a corolla if I wanted high speed

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Bob110023 said:

Going any faster than the top speed of 112 mph could cause an emf (electro magnetic force) which would severely damage the electric motor beyond any repair. The onboard computer would probably close things down before any damage was done.

I'd be more worried about the power being channelled into the flux capacitor😉

• Haha 1

The 112mph is limited because of the maximum rotational speed of MG1. It’s the same for all Toyota hybrids 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Rambler56 said:

I'd be more worried about the power being channelled into the flux capacitor😉

In reality such speeds can rupture the dilithium crystals due to vortex stratification.

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, PACorolla said:

In reality such speeds can rupture the dilithium crystals due to vortex stratification.

Not if you fit plasma relays.

• Haha 3

• 2 months later...

i asked when i picked mine up and was told approx. 135mph

• Haha 1

Most YouTube video shows 185 km/h with GPS. 

Without limiter 200 km/h should be possible, since the engine it self has 152 hp. 

Mod edit, you can test also how reliable indeed are the latest Toyota plus how well proof agains abuse are made., I personally wouldn’t do any of that with my car that I own and maintain myself and with my own money. 👌

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Mod edit, you can test also how reliable indeed are the latest Toyota plus how well proof agains abuse are made., I personally wouldn’t do any of that with my car that I own and maintain myself and with my own money. 👌

I wouldn't be that concerned about the wear n tear, but cost certainly escalates a lot above legal speeds as air resistance takes it's toll and the fuel economy nosedives.

I do the majority of my motorway miles on business. I'm paid by the mile for fuel and by the hour for my time, so going steady is a win-win. :smile:

• Like 1

Because the engine blows up if you go above 70 every now and again 🙄

4 hours ago, dazayit said:

Because the engine blows up if you go above 70 every now and again 🙄

Engine won’t blow up but these cars weren’t designed for high speeds for sure, also not nice to drive at high speeds at all, even the most powerful Toyota hybrids aren’t nice to drive at flat out because of their drive trains, this is the only negative from the whole thing Toyota Hybrid. If you want constant high speeds just buy a standard ice car auto or manual with powerful engine, simple as is. 👍

16 hours ago, dazayit said:

I doubt it, gave it the beans on a night motorway drive and a stated 121 before backing off, still more than the 112 mind

Mine has a true 69-70 when set at 75 on the cruise control.  Your 121, less 12 would be 109 on that basis. 

Now I did run my E class diesel at 105 true for 30 minutes and that was exhilarating to say the least, like running on rails.  I don't think I would want to do that in the Corolla. 

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

Engine won’t blow up but these cars weren’t designed for high speeds for sure, also not nice to drive at high speeds at all, even the most powerful Toyota hybrids aren’t nice to drive at flat out because of their drive trains, this is the only negative from the whole thing Toyota Hybrid. If you want constant high speeds just buy a standard ice car auto or manual with powerful engine, simple as is. 👍

Didn't say I drive it at higher speeds all the time, that was probably the 2nd time I gave it some and on an empty Motorway. I don't condone driving like a tit all the time but I doubt there Is a man who hasn't floored their car given the opportunity even just to test it. 

An empty motorway, is there such a thing? 

Once drove on the new A46 dual carriage way early on the Sunday morning the day after it was opened.  Now that was deserted. 

1 hour ago, Roy124 said:

Mine has a true 69-70 when set at 75 on the cruise control.  Your 121, less 12 would be 109 on that basis. 

Now I did run my E class diesel at 105 true for 30 minutes and that was exhilarating to say the least, like running on rails.  I don't think I would want to do that in the Corolla. 

Still felt pretty stable at that, noisy but stable. Had a 5series years back and that munched up the motorways smooth as silk when at higher speeds.

How did you manage 12MPH, if reading true 70 at 75MPH is that not 7% (round up a little)  would that not be 8MPH difference at 121? unless my Math is incorrect. (quite possibly😕)

2 hours ago, dazayit said:

Still felt pretty stable at that, noisy but stable. Had a 5series years back and that munched up the motorways smooth as silk when at higher speeds.

How did you manage 12MPH, if reading true 70 at 75MPH is that not 7% (round up a little)  would that not be 8MPH difference at 121? unless my Math is incorrect. (quite possibly😕)

Assuming it's a linear error, (70 / 75) x 121 = 112.9

6.7% is quite a lot of error to be engineered into the speedo reading these days (5 is more typical). Toyota must be particularly scared of copping the blame for customers' speeding fines! 😆

In the UK, legally the speedometer must never show an indicated speed less than the actual speed. For all actual speeds between 25 mph and 70 mph (or the vehicles' maximum speed if it is lower than this), the indicated speed must not exceed 110% of the actual speed, plus 6.25 mph. For speeds either side of 25 mph and 70 mph, the indicated speed must not exceed 110% of the actual speed.

Eg, if the vehicle is actually traveling at 50 mph, the speedometer must not show more than 61.25 mph or less than 50 mph.

The above differs from the EU, where the speedometer must not exceed 110% of the actual speed.

GPS readings, although generally more accurate than speedometer readings, are an average over a given number of points, so not totally accurate as regards speed at a given point in time.

Note that the forum rules state: Don't post about things that break the law, or that might encourage others to break the law.

Posts that break the above rule, whether reported by members or otherwise, may be subject to moderator action

• Like 1

While Frosty's point about GPS speeds is true, on straight, level roads the speed integrated by the system will be pretty accurate.  Think a line of circular positions about 10 feet radius.  

At the same time, with the cruise control set at 65 (not ACC) the GPS speed varied between 59 and 60.

To Frosty's last point, it is very satisfying going for the burn.  A track day at your nearest speedway can get that out of your system.  I took a Lamborghini to a blistering 55 mph 😁

For real speed go to Germany but do pick a quieter autobahn, check your tyres and brakes, and remember 105 is 50% faster than the UK max and the stopping distance is huge. 

• Like 2

although the garage quoted the 135mph , i haven`t been anywhere near that speed in mine, instead i like to put it in sport mode and rag it round the country lanes and moor roads.