Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tinted rear windows increase premium 25%

thrope

Planning a long trip and finally got the rear windows in our Prius tinted to keep the car cooler and stop direct sun falling on the dog. The number of cars I see with this seems to have increased a lot in recent years - seems like the majority of cars have it now.

I am insured with Toyota and was pretty shocked that when I notified them of this it resulted in a 25% premium increase. Luckily there is not long left on the policy and it was pro-rated so just around £30 to pay. But still seems absolutely outrageous to me.

Will certainly not be renewing with Toyota. Wondered if anyone else had had this issue or could recommend other insurers to look at at renewal.

• Like 1

To be honest I would have checked what effect the modification (and it is a modification) had on the insurance premium before installing the privacy glass (although presumably it is film rather than actual privacy glass).

No car manufacturer actually under-writes or administers their own branded insurance. Toyota Insurance is underwritten and administered by Aioi Nissay Dowa Insurance UK Ltd.

Yes I did check online but everything I read said it shouldn't affect your insurance, but you should notify as a modification (only realised this after taking the car in).  For example:

Do tinted windows affect insurance?

Tinted windows won’t increase or decrease your insurance cover, provided you ensure that they are legal.

While UK law states that there are no restrictions on tinting your rear windows and windscreen, the front windscreen and side-view windows do have restrictions. Legally, at least 75% of light must be allowed through the front windscreen and 70% of light through the front side windows.

Appreciate Toyota Insurance is underwritten by a different company, but as its branded and adverstised as Toyota Insurance seems reasonable to refer to it by that name here.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, thrope said:

Tinted windows won’t increase or decrease your insurance cover, provided you ensure that they are legal.

Which is a generalisation, and won't apply to every insurer.

For example although insurance groups are decided by Thatcham Research, insurers can either go with the recommendations or decide on their own groupings. Same applies with modifications. 

If in doubt check with the insurer who you are actually insured with.

Hi.

When your insurance is due for renewal please feel free to give u a try if you wish.

Regards,

Dan.

• 2 years later...

I am not sure if my C-HR rear screen is tinted or not, but it certainly isn’t as heavily tinted as the side windows rear of the ‘B pillar’.

In any case, certainly with my car, the door mirrors have blind spot warnings and, being a retired caravanner, I use the door mirrors rather than the interior one.  After all, it is the overtaking vehicle(s) that appear in the driving mirrors that can be the main threat to safety.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links