Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Oil

Mo Ali

Hi I have a toyota yaris hybrid 2018 and it is now due for servicing.

The engine oil required is 0w-20.

My question is can I use 0w - 40 instead? or I have to stick to 0w-20

Moved to the Yaris club.

0W-20 is Toyota's preferred oil. 5W-30 may be used, but should be replaced with 0W-20 at the next service.

3 hours ago, Mo Ali said:

Hi I have a toyota yaris hybrid 2018 and it is now due for servicing.

The engine oil required is 0w-20.

My question is can I use 0w - 40 instead? or I have to stick to 0w-20

I assume that it has been serviced in 2019 & 2020 ?. Is there any particular reason why you want to use 0w - 40 instead of the recommended 0w - 20. I also assume that Toyota have devoted huge sums of money into R&D as to which oil is most suitable for that particular engine.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mo Ali said:

My question is can I use 0w - 40 instead?

That's really an unanswerable question.

Will the engine die 10 minutes after doing so? Unlikely.

Will it affect the engine life or operation of the hybrid system during repeated cycles? Possibly.

Did Toyota spec 20 over 30 or 40 to improve mpg, and there will be no other effect? Possibly.

Do you have a couple of years warranty left? I expect so for now ... but quite possibly not after you use a non-spec oil.

i-dunno-hand-gesture-smiley-emoticon.gif

• Like 1

If this is some emergency, you might be able to get away with it for a bit, but when the engine gets hot the oil will start to get too thick, and the newer Toyota engines have such tight tolerances that thicker oils will have trouble flowing.

If you're asking his because you have a load of it left over and don't want to waste it, flog it to a neighbour or something and use the proper stuff!

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

I presume the OP wants to use 0W-40 because it's cheaper than 0W-20 (I didn't know 0W-40 existed). I suspect it will do absolutely no harm whatsoever, however I'm no expert.

I used 10W-30 on one oil change, because the motor factors didn't have 0W-20 and the oil supplier's website suggested 10W-30 was correct for my engine.

Perhaps the OP can inform us what the result of using 0W-40 is 100K further on?

Hi, 0w40 oils are mostly A3/B4 Class oils for older cars and these are very different specs from 0w20 which should be A5. Best to stick to the manufacturer recommended oils and fluids if you want your car to perform as should and to last long. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Cyker said:

when the engine gets hot the oil will start to get too thic

The hotter the oil gets, the THINNER it gets.

9 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Hi, 0w40 oils are mostly A3/B4 Class oils for older cars

I've never seen 0W-40. Is it perhaps being confused with 10W-40?

IF the original poster is getting confused, maybe best to leave it to Toyota. They built the engine, they done the research and development, they selected what they prefer. Nothing been said on here to make me change my mind.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Hi, 0w40 oils are mostly A3/B4 Class oils for older cars and these are very different specs from 0w20 which should be A5.

That is a good point. It's not just the viscosity that matters.

I have several bottles for top-up having had a number of cars recently and although the same or similar viscosity there are a few different sae or csma(?) specs which are required by different engines too. Some of this may relate to compatibility of materials, like rubber seals, so best not to ignore them.

When we get a new (to us) car I check the spec for it against my oils and use a sharpie to write the car name on the compatible bottle, if there is one. (Otherwise buy a new bottle when/if needed.)

1 hour ago, bathtub tom said:

I've never seen 0W-40. Is it perhaps being confused with 10W-40?

Mobil, Castrol, Mannol, Petronas, etc all manufacture 0W-40 oil. Similar pricing to 0W-20.

8 hours ago, Stivino said:

The hotter the oil gets, the THINNER it gets.

Yes, but at hot temperatures, a 0w40 oil will be thicker than a 0w20 oil - When cold, they should be similarly viscous; That's what the 0 before the W means. However, the number after the W is the rated viscosity when the oil is hot, and 40 is thicker than 20.

Tony's right tho - The specs of the oil matter as much, if not more, than the viscosity ratings!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

23 hours ago, Bernard Foy said:

I assume that it has been serviced in 2019 & 2020 ?. Is there any particular reason why you want to use 0w - 40 instead of the recommended 0w - 20. I also assume that Toyota have devoted huge sums of money into R&D as to which oil is most suitable for that particular engine.

I’m still waiting on Mo Ali to reply with a reason 🤔.

• Like 1

Once I collected all bottles of oil from my garage 3-4 different types and different viscosity and put them into the engine, nice cocktail 🍹, drove the car as usual and there were no problems at all. The car and engine were sound before and after the experiment, I wanted to see how the oil consumption or engine noise will be affected, oil consumption does not depend a lot if at all from oil viscosity, the engine noise however does. For that particular car the best of all oils was Shell helix 5w40 A3B4. With this oil the engine was quieter and oil consumption was less from any other makes and types, the one that the car didn’t like were Toyota own 5w30 and liqui moly 10w40 but that’s on older car very different from Toyota hybrids. 👍

B5F754B0-09C9-4C28-AF5B-C0C17FB3FD85.jpeg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

Once I collected all bottles of oil from my garage 3-4 different types and different viscosity and put them into the engine, nice cocktail 🍹, drove the car as usual and there were no problems at all. The car and engine were sound before and after the experiment, I wanted to see how the oil consumption or engine noise will be affected, oil consumption does not depend a lot if at all from oil viscosity, the engine noise however does. For that particular car the best of all oils was shell helix 5w40 A3B4. With this oil the engine was quieter and oil consumption was less from any other makes and types, the one that the car didn’t like were Toyota own 5w30 and liqui moly 10w40 but that’s on older car very different from Toyota hybrids. 👍

B5F754B0-09C9-4C28-AF5B-C0C17FB3FD85.jpeg

Boy was that one totally confused engine 😂🤣🤪🤔

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Bernard Foy said:

Boy was that one totally confused engine 😂🤣🤪🤔

I know right 😅, well I do 5 oil changes a year and I knew that car inside out and had plenty of time and oil to play, nothing goes to do recycling before been properly used 👍

2 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

I know right 😅, well I do 5 oil changes a year and I knew that car inside out and had plenty of time and oil to play, nothing goes to do recycling before been properly used 👍

All on the same car Tony ??

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bernard Foy said:

All on the same car Tony ??

Yes, the same car. The cocktail was on my previous one, since 2018 I am driving an auris and no cocktails yet , only some additives from time to time and engine flush every second change. 

11 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Yes, the same car. The cocktail was on my previous one, since 2018 I am driving an auris and no cocktails yet , only some additives from time to time and engine flush every second change. 

Is there a good reason for the engine flush every second change??. I would have thought that with the frequency of changes it wouldn’t be necessary??. Obviously the car is doing big mileage every year!!

Well, I wanted to know that 0w20 was £90 from Toyota, so I wanted to know if there is a cheaper alternative.

I heard that 5w-30 is an option which is slightly cheaper.

Any suggestions?

I don't have much knowledge about this hence I'm asking all the people here - which engine oil have you guys used if you have a Toyota Yaris hybrid 2018

• Like 1

Plenty of good quality 0W-20 oils around at less than £90 - have a look on Amazon. Shop around.

Toyota say that 5W-30 may be used, but should be replaced at the next service by 0W-20.

20 minutes ago, Mo Ali said:

Thank you, will go with 0w20

Petronas 0w20, been using this since 2016 and many miles in all driving conditions, from freezing cold to scorching heat, no problems at all. eBay sales £32 for 5ltr