Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Oil

Mo Ali

I recently got 5l Petronas 0w20 for 25 quid delivered from Pipercross, listed price is under 30 . Your 90 quid price must be based on buying single litres? 5 liters of Toyota's oil is under 40 I believe

2 hours ago, Saxmaniac said:

I recently got 5l Petronas 0w20 for 25 quid delivered from Pipercross, listed price is under 30 . Your 90 quid price must be based on buying single litres? 5 liters of Toyota's oil is under 40 I believe

What does Syntium 7000 stand for...

It's selling for £33 on that website now.

Is this oil better than the Toyota's one?

Nah mate, I rang Toyota and they quoted that price for 5l

8 minutes ago, Mo Ali said:

Odds on that the genius at the dealer did quote for 5 x 1 litre! It's about £19 for a 1 litre bottle.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mo Ali said:

What does Syntium 7000 stand for...

It's selling for £33 on that website now.

Is this oil better than the Toyota's one?

Not sure if Petronas it’s better than Toyota oil but it is good for sure. Just done my 15th oil change with it today and so far the engine runs and sounds as day one. Now officially have no space for stamps in my service book. One mission accomplished 🚗👌

• Like 1

Yeah, whoever quoted £90 made a mistake - I was buying 0w20 from my alt dealer and they only charged me £39 for a 5L bottle! Suspect @mrpj might be right about them trying to sell you 5x1L bottles or something daft like that...

Has definitely been the cheapest place I know of to buy 0w20!

• Like 1

I've always used Toyota's 0W20 and "genuine" oil filters. I changed mine yesterday. Searching around, a filter is about £10 and Toyota 0W20 about £39, delivered, on that well known auction site.

The removed filter was a Purflux, fitted by local independent at last service. Different, and I thought better, construction than the Toyota element. e.g. certainly more "pleats" and surface area (which could be a negative re oil flow?) plus reinforced at each end. Purflux printing visible (Purflux L510)!

• Like 1

I don't know what Syntium means but probably just marketing bs. It's a quality brand and meets the spec required. I'm doing 5k miles oil changes and genuine oil filters. That 25 quid price was a special offer so worth keeping an eye out for any future offers. I got from Pipercross as they're a legit business and not likely to be peddling counterfeit stuff, and the delivery was extremely quick, so there's a recommendation !

• Like 1

I used a mann Filter yesterday for a first time different from Toyota oem, the filter looks quality made with good paper, fitted perfectly and the engine sounds same as with the original one., no any extra noises or lights on dash. Will see how it will look at the next change. Just watched a video that non genuine oil filter has caused the timing chain to jump and unset the timing on Hyundai car., perhaps will stick with original filter for the next oil change. 

2 hours ago, Saxmaniac said:

I don't know what Syntium means but probably just marketing bs. It's a quality brand and meets the spec required. I'm doing 5k miles oil changes and genuine oil filters. That 25 quid price was a special offer so worth keeping an eye out for any future offers. I got from Pipercross as they're a legit business and not likely to be peddling counterfeit stuff, and the delivery was extremely quick, so there's a recommendation !

I remember it was about 4 weeks ago this £25 offer was being banded about on this forum. I wanted to order ready for the wife’s car, but being away I was conscious it may get sent back, so I didn’t bother ordering. Got back home and went to order and it had gone up to £33 so, yes, I waiting hoping the offer comes again.

20 hours ago, Saxmaniac said:

I don't know what Syntium

Possibly an impressive Latin sounding word with the plural Syntia? A bit like excretia torres!

Syntium perhaps stand for fully synthetic oil. , should be a good one, been thinking to switch to another brand to try and see any difference but the price of Petronas always make me buy extra quantities and always keep some in stock. Here are two pictures how the oil look when freshly changed done only 100 miles and second picture at around 9000miles. For every 10k miles the car consumes around 0.6ltr , not bad for an old engine. 

7315E872-7841-4DEB-B15F-B8C9B44E7467.jpeg

91EBDCD3-0F0B-4984-AD60-CF7BAA021269.jpeg

• Like 2

Petronas is a massive Malaysian oil company. They are a major sponsor of the Mercedes F1 race team (Hamilton and Bottas), and team name holder of 2 bikes in each of MotoGP, Moto2, and Moto3. This year Valentino Rossi being one of the MotoGP riders.  No worries about quality I don’t think.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...