Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Ticking noise around dash area, both with engine on and off.

Arthur24

Hi everyone,

I recently bought a 2004 Toyota Avensis 1.8 VVT-i wagon. I noticed a ticking noise which seems to come from the dash/center console area and I can't figure out what it might be. The sound starts as soon as I turn the key to ON/Ignition. It still does it with the engine on and while driving though it's much harder to notice then. AC  and vents work fine. I tried it both with the stereo system on and off to make sure it wasn't the cassette or CD reader but it still does it when it's off. Same with the vents and AC. Does anyone have any idea of what it could be? I uploaded a video to YouTube but its hardly noticable (sorry that it's sideways). Thank you for your help.

Honest answer is I have no idea... so you need to try and eliminate things.

Does it have climate control? Could it be a flap actuator failing to move correctly in some way. Is the recirculate/fresh flap electronically controlled or is it a manual thing. 

Sound can travel. Have you lifted the bonnet to see if you can hear it under there. 

1 hour ago, Mooly said:

Honest answer is I have no idea... so you need to try and eliminate things.

Does it have climate control? Could it be a flap actuator failing to move correctly in some way. Is the recirculate/fresh flap electronically controlled or is it a manual thing. 

Sound can travel. Have you lifted the bonnet to see if you can hear it under there. 

Since it starts immediately on ignition being turned on, could it be a fuel pump ticking?? . Just a thought!!

Most likely a vent flap servo actuator.  Go to the interior fuse box (drop glovebox down) and remove fuse number 10 (heating system controller). See if it stops.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links