Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Keyless Tech key safety

FiestaRed

Does anyone take any extra precautions when they put their car keys away overnight?

There seems to be so many stories about the theft of key signals with people apparently able to clone car key signals without even having to get hold of the keys. Is it a problem?

Afaik your car shoud come with a keyfob that automatically goes to sleep after a short period of not being moved. I believe that you can also manually send it to sleep through a keypress sequence.

If you still aren't happy with that then if your car is like my old Avensis T-Spirit you can also disable the whole touchless system from within the car's setup menu

• Like 2

Some of the more modern Toyota keyless fobs have motion detection built in - as long as the keyless fob isn't moving, after approximately a minute it stops transmitting the signal.

I know the C-HR now has this keyless motion detection protection built in.

To test if your vehicle has the newer type keyless fobs, lock the vehicle then place the keyless fob down on the floor next to the vehicle - wait for a minute then try & open the door.

If it remains locked then the keyless fob is the newer type with motion detection protection built in.

• Like 1

Don’t think thieves are interested in Toyota except their catalytic converters., although you can put the key fob into a cola can and that stops the transmission of any signal from and to the key. 👍

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just don't do what a customer was talking about when I was last at our local Toyota dealer. He was a farmer and had been concerned about his Land Cruiser being stolen. Someone had suggested he should shut his keyfob in the microwave oven overnight as that would block the signal. Great idea, and I'm sure it's very effective. However he apparently came in from working late one evening and popped a ready-meal in the microwave. After a few minutes he was concerned to see black smoke and flames inside it. He'd forgotten to remove the key fob first...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I have a small Faraday box I put all our keys in.  It's finished in dark brown leather type stuff so looks ok on the table.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Yugguy1970 said:

I have a small Faraday box I put all our keys in.  It's finished in dark brown leather type stuff so looks ok on the table.

Thanks Guy, I noticed these mentioned in some of the online reports about the signal problems.

I did buy a couple of blocker type leather style pouches for my keys from Amazon but I kept forgetting to put them in and it was a faff but they do work.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FiestaRed said:

Does anyone take any extra precautions when they put their car keys away overnight?

No I couldn't be bothered the faff so I went into the car settings configuration, via the media unit and switched off keyless entry, so now it operates like a conventional car key fob, pushing the button to lock and unlock, then for starting it, holding the fob next to the start button when you push the button.

Having never had keyless entry I don't see the above as a hardship and I'd rather have the reassurance of knowing the car is secure and not having to faff about putting keys in tins or Faraday pouches.

• Like 4

I keep my key in a Bart spice tin. I take the blade key out of it and pop it in the tin when I get in. The remainder of the house keys and blade are left on the sideboard, so useful if i go out for a walk. I tested the tin by holding it by the car and the doors wouldn't unlock.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, FiestaRed said:

There seems to be so many stories about the theft of key signals with people apparently able to clone car key signals without even having to get hold of the keys. Is it a problem?

If I remember correctly you have ordered the GR Sport tourer, I don’t think this comes with keyless entry mine doesn’t.

• Like 1

I quite like a box for keys anyway as I like things to be in a place, so combining it with a blocker was fine.

• Like 1

My issue as well about the faff side of things i mentioned previously would be I would have to remove my car key from my main keys where i have a keysmart pro (with tile tracker builtin) and it would stop the tracking of the keys.  I do have the car key on a quick release but it was still a faff.

• Like 1

Question on double locking. Press lock on fob twice and it double locks, great, people can’t open doors from inside if they smash window:

however, try unlocking the door manually with the actual key and it won’t unlock - you have to unlock with the fob again. Anyone else noticed that? What if your fob Battery runs out?

There should be a psychical key blade hidden inside the keyless fob & barrel to operate from outside the vehicle.

Sometimes there hidden behind a clipped on cover on a front door handle OR hidden under the tailgate trim.

The owners manual should show how to get in when the keyless fob isn't working.

13 hours ago, forkingabout said:

There should be a psychical key blade hidden inside the keyless fob & barrel to operate from outside the vehicle.

Sometimes there hidden behind a clipped on cover on a front door handle OR hidden under the tailgate trim.

The owners manual should show how to get in when the keyless fob isn't working.

No my point is that the physical key blade doesnt unlock the door if the car has been double locked.

It should unlock the vehicle.

Either Toyota has made a design error OR much more likely, the barrel has seized through lack of use.

Yeah I think the first one. Can someone else check on their Corolla Hybrid?

the key blade unlocks normally locked door fine just not when it has been double locked.

bizarre

I have just tried this on my 2020 Corolla saloon. The car was double locked with the fob and I was able to unlock the drivers door with the mechanical key, although I noticed that the automatic windows remained in the 'closed' position.

Addit: "automatic windows" should read "automatic mirrors".

Edited by dannyboy413
error correction

Thanks I’ll bring it up at next month’s 12 mth service as something isn’t right.

24 minutes ago, dannyboy413 said:

I have just tried this on my 2020 Corolla saloon. The car was double locked with the fob and I was able to unlock the drivers door with the mechanical key, although I noticed that the automatic windows remained in the 'closed' position.

Thanks. Can someone with an HB try pls as might be different UK v Turkey build?

Just an add on to my previous answer.

The car is an Irish car and is called 'Sol', which is the highest specced car available in Ireland. I have noticed reading posts and elsewhere, that every market seems to have different names for the various levels of spec' and indeed, the highest specced cars in one market, will differ to the highest specced cars in another market!