Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Buying Yaris 1.5L CVT ( 2018 )

Starensis

Hi all,

Been a member on owners forum for a while, owning Avensis, old Yaris and now ch-r.

Just put deposit down on 2018 1.5L Icon Tech, CVT for the wife. Only done 20k miles and full dealer service history.

Appears to drive well with no major issues noted. Do I need to be aware of anything - especially with engine or CVT gearbox (or any other issues).

Some quick feedback would be appreciated…….I’m scheduled to pick it up tomorrow. 🥴

Don't know much about the engine, but Toyota cvt gearboxs are about the best going

Engines are normally quite solid. They’re fitting the 1.5L in new Yaris cross, albeit, as a 3 cylinder.

Thanks for the feedback on cvt. I do have a cvt in my chr, but not with paddle change on steering wheel, so have a good level of confidence in it.

4 minutes ago, 138289_1453892234 said:

Don't know much about the engine, but Toyota cvt gearboxs are about the best going

The 1.5 non-hybrid engine in the 3rd generation Yaris is a development of the previous 1.33.

The 1.5 three cylinder dynamic force engine in the current Yaris is a smaller, three cylinder version of the 2.0 litre used in the Corolla hybrid - see https://newsroom.toyota.eu/toyota-motor-europe-tme-starts-production-of-new-15l-tnga-engine-in-poland/

So car collected earlier today. First thoughts are:-

1. Engine is very responsive and smooth delivery.

2. Feels solid both on road and build.

3. Some good features on car. LDA, RSR, Active cruise control, speed limiter etc.

4. Infotainment system is very slow/sluggish…..to the point of frustration. It does need an update though.

5. Owners manual is for Yaris Hybrid?? 

All in all, feels like a car which will last a good few years. 

Should be able to download the non-hybrid manual from My Toyota.

OK. Will try it once I get the log book back. Thanks.

Power socket wasn’t working also, so changed fuse and blew again. Noticed power socket is loose in dash, so may have to get them to change it.

We have a manual mk3 Yaris 1.5, the engine is fine, just not the most economical especially after a 1.0 litre Aygo and iQ. 

The cruise control is conventional not active but works well. The infotainment is very old school and we use our iPhone for satnav which connects to the car and will give the verbal directions through the Speakers if you have the phones music connected.

shame it hasn’t got CarPlay 

Enjoy the new car, they are good value 

11 minutes ago, dave hendy said:

We have a manual mk3 Yaris 1.5, the engine is fine, just not the most economical especially after a 1.0 litre Aygo and iQ. 

The cruise control is conventional not active but works well. The infotainment is very old school and we use our iPhone for satnav which connects to the car and will give the verbal directions through the speakers if you have the phones music connected.

shame it hasn’t got CarPlay 

Enjoy the new car, they are good value 

I’ve got the icon tech, so cruise is adaptive. Got the switch down by auto headlamps to adjust distance.

I’m expecting around 48mpg with CVT transmission.

1 minute ago, Starensis said:

I’ve got the icon tech, so cruise is adaptive. Got the switch down by auto headlamps to adjust distance.

Stand corrected, I didn’t know they did adaptive cruise control on the mk3 Yaris.

We probably get around 48 mpg most of the time, not as good as the 60 mpg I got from my iQ😢

I downloaded the original map ( 2017 ) to so I can remove some countries to make it work a bit quicker. I did this via mytoyota after registering head unit.

On plugging into usb today, I got a message “update not authorised”. Do I need to register car on mytoyota via V5 document before it will allow me to install maps? As the V5 has been sent away, I’m unable to do this atm.

Is it more than 3 years old (map updates are free for 3 years & I would go for the latest tbh, as you seem to know you don't have to install the full country package)?

Yes, it’s over 3 years old so free maps not available.

Previous owner never registered car in mytoyota or updated maps in 3 years. So, I’m left with 2017 map version! 😡

On 8/9/2021 at 9:50 PM, Starensis said:

For confirmation - car doesn’t have adaptive cruise control. Switch is for collision mitigation/warning and uses camera at top of windscreen.