Do Not Sell My Personal Information

It's one thing after another, chalk on a blackboard like noise just appeared recently when driving, any ideas ?

Mike 2121

Maybe brakes or calliper area ?

Had rear discs and brakes done in April so I would have thought the garage would have mentioned the front ones are going out.

The noise is like a cross between something dragging on the floor and chalk to a black board, abit hard to explain, but it's Not a grinding or squeeky noise lol 🙂🙂

If it's the disc/brakes, then roll down your window when driving next to a wall, or some houses, they should deflect the sound and should be more noticeable.

Could be tyre sound, does the sound change when hitting new/old patch of road?

• Like 1

dont the front brake pads have an arm that touch's the brake disc

when the pads need changing and this create a squeal

• Like 1

Just found out, it makes the noise when car is stationary at tickover, so can't be brakes or wheels and the engine light Never comes on so probably exhaust issue maybe ? 🤔.        I've booked it in garage

if you say chalk on blackboard, to me that would more be some pulley, that is, bearings going dry, or water pump bearings.

Exhaust leak could easily be checked with colder temperatures, in a month or so.

• Like 1

It's hard to explain noises lol, I say , If a new noise suddenly appears on a used car is it almost always an issue ?

It's a car, they make plenty of noise, and there's always gonna be some new noise here and there 🙂

Could be just the A/C, did you try turning it off? If you turn all auxiliaries off, lights, radio, etc, is there some change?

• Like 1

A/c was off, trying to use the car as least as possible until Monday , as long as the engine light doesn't come on I'm hoping I'll be alright. I can't moan, had the car nearly two years, Not one problem, apart from rear discs and pads which is just wear and tear. I suppose even Aurises aren't invincible, brilliant cars though, just abit awkward 😀

What engine and transmission is the car? What is the mileage too? Water pump bearings very likely or pulley bearings as mentioned. 

• Like 1

1.6 petrol manual, only done 54 k 

Cheers 😀

If it changes with engine revs it's most likely the auxiliary belt squealing.

Ok, if that is the same engine like previous generation can likely be the water pump, they are infamous for premature failure, quick coolant level check and look for leaks will be helpful, that mileage sounds just right for it, can be belt or tensioner too, if it’s the belt you can spray some water on it while engine running and if quietens then you can look into it.   👍

• Like 1