Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Changed Cab Light Bulbs To LED.

Catlover

Probably 2.5 years ago a friend with a Prius Gen3 changed all the cab light bulbs to LED and the difference was amazing. So, I went on eBay, bought a set for my Prius Gen4. Soon after I went out and probably picked the most difficult area to change first - the front map reading bulbs. Result was I gave up.                    
Wind forward to last week, I decided to give it another go, this time I went on YouTube to watch how it was done. Armed with my iPad (YouTube), the bulbs and some plastic tools I set off……. Choosing to start with the boot light bulb as it seemed easiest. Good choice, as it was easy. Next decided to do the troublesome the 2 map reading bulbs centre front. Frustrated I give up. Did the rear passenger light. Now this was difficult because it was a bullet bulb and was difficult getting the new one in, really needed long nose pliers. Anyway got it done, so went back to the map reading lights again, and again gave up frustrated. So started on the bottom of the fron doors light, watched the video, put what I seen into action and quickly I was moving on to……the dreaded map reading lights. Watched the video again! but still couldn’t crack it. Actually fear of cracking it was holding me up…..fear I would crack the plastic surround.  Anyway, I moved on to the sun visor mirror lights, driver and passenger. Video view again, bit of a struggle but got the knack, job done. So everything done, except for……. The 2 map reading bulbs.  So I though about my mate who did his Gen3. “If he can do it, so can I”, said to myself. It was t easy, far from it,  it did it in the end. It is tricky, and not the same as the Gen3.  All work nicely, so waited till it went dark and tested them.
The difference is amazing, from a dull yellow glow to a brilliant white light that really does illuminate.  So that was a good £14 quid I spent, and it was an 8 bulb changeover yet in the pack they came in from eBay there is at least another set (spare) left. well done me, pat on the back.

• Like 3

Hi Joe, read your comment regarding changing over interior light bulbs to led bulbs & became very interested. I looked at the YouTube video on changing the map light bulbs & it looked fairly straightforward to me. However, I do respect your opinion & I’m just wondering what you specifically found difficult about changing these bulbs? I did notice that a plastic tool was used to remove the map reading light unit from its mounting. Did you use any special tools & if so where did you get them from? Hope you don’t mind me asking all this but it’s a genuine enquiry & if I decide to change the bulbs, because it sounds a great idea, I’d hate to have problems!

The problem with the difficult ones was the fact the surrounding material was very hard and no give. The boot light was easy because the surrounding material had a lot of give. What you don’t want to do is damage what would be visible after the job. If you watched the same video as me you will notice the guy had some tools which I suspect were metal. Mine were plastic, cheaper and as they would likely only be used once were ok, but maybe a bit thick to get onto a very tight gap. And that was the initial problem, getting into the tight gap, particularly the map lights, the sun visor lights and the door lights, all hard surround with not much give. I used a pointed kitchen knife to force a gap, being pointed extreme care needed.  
I suspect the guy in the video will have done the job, or similar, many times, so he knew the fixings and how flexible etc. Also for the video that would not of been the first time those particular units had been removed I found once I had done, for example the map reading lights, just for “fun” I could go back and release them easier. In particular, the map reading light unit is a large chunk of a unit, no give in it at all.  All adds up to it being a pain, but with determination it’s was doable.            
The plastic tools I also got off eBay, different shapes, straight, fork at either end, one more bent then the other end. Plastic tools used see photo, with the knife I used.

image.thumb.jpg.d1907a290e99c279fff87b8c3e61e5df.jpg

• Like 1

My wife habitually checks her makeup in the car.  Down comes the pax visor, open goes the lamp, and I have a restricted view to the left and at night the light distracts too. 

I have considered fitting a u/s bulb on the visor.  Brighter lights would drive me nutty. 

Why she thinks doing lipstick over speed bumps and potholes is a good idea I don't know. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Catlover said:

The problem with the difficult ones was the fact the surrounding material was very hard and no give. The boot light was easy because the surrounding material had a lot of give. What you don’t want to do is damage what would be visible after the job. If you watched the same video as me you will notice the guy had some tools which I suspect were metal. Mine were plastic, cheaper and as they would likely only be used once were ok, but maybe a bit thick to get onto a very tight gap. And that was the initial problem, getting into the tight gap, particularly the map lights, the sun visor lights and the door lights, all hard surround with not much give. I used a pointed kitchen knife to force a gap, being pointed extreme care needed.  
I suspect the guy in the video will have done the job, or similar, many times, so he knew the fixings and how flexible etc. Also for the video that would not of been the first time those particular units had been removed I found once I had done, for example the map reading lights, just for “fun” I could go back and release them easier. In particular, the map reading light unit is a large chunk of a unit, no give in it at all.  All adds up to it being a pain, but with determination it’s was doable.            
The plastic tools I also got off eBay, different shapes, straight, fork at either end, one more bent then the other end. Plastic tools used see photo, with the knife I used.

image.thumb.jpg.d1907a290e99c279fff87b8c3e61e5df.jpg

Hi Joe, thanks for this extra information. I’ll have to think long & hard before I change the bulbs but I still think it’s a good idea. I would have thought Toyota would start fitting leds wherever possible as standard, especially knowing how more reliable leds are & knowing how difficult it is to access the map reading bulbs. In the youtube video I watched, the guy also changed the reversing light bulbs to leds. Did you change these as well & if so did you encounter any problems since it looks to be a bit tricky also?

1 hour ago, Roy124 said:

Why she thinks doing lipstick over speed bumps and potholes is a good idea I don't know. 

Well, that’s better the your wife driving and you doing the lipstick thing. 😗

33 minutes ago, BhxTrev said:

Hi Joe, thanks for this extra information. I’ll have to think long & hard before I change the bulbs but I still think it’s a good idea. I would have thought Toyota would start fitting leds wherever possible as standard, especially knowing how more reliable leds are & knowing how difficult it is to access the map reading bulbs. In the youtube video I watched, the guy also changed the reversing light bulbs to leds. Did you change these as well & if so did you encounter any problems since it looks to be a bit tricky also?

Yes I saw the vid where he did the reversing lights. I was doing this job one day last week when weather forecast was showing rain, and it wasn’t raining, but almost was, if you know what I mean. I did have a proper look at the task, did a half attempt to get the initial black plate from under the hatch seal, and gave up. Didn’t want to get stuck and it decides to pour down.         
Then I looked at the bulb pack they sent, and although I have a variety left to do another Gen4, the reverse light bulb wasn’t listed. Whether the reverse bulb is a bigger, brighter I don’t know. Another day maybe.

5 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Yes I saw the vid where he did the reversing lights. I was doing this job one day last week when weather forecast was showing rain, and it wasn’t raining, but almost was, if you know what I mean. I did have a proper look at the task, did a half attempt to get the initial black plate from under the hatch seal, and gave up. Didn’t want to get stuck and it decides to pour down.         
Then I looked at the bulb pack they sent, and although I have a variety left to do another Gen4, the reverse light bulb wasn’t listed. Whether the reverse bulb is a bigger, brighter I don’t know. Another day maybe.

Hi Joe, as ever, thanks for your reply & your valued information. 

• Thanks 1