Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Lucinda Eluceo auto box oil change

darryl

1D400C2B-6758-4E1F-841F-4BD388B821A9.thumb.jpeg.f93ba512e27413c0b58290d1ca3ba07d.jpeg

Hi it’s been a while since I last posted, because the car has been so reliable. Other than the usual service, brakes ,exhaust , starter motor, wheel bearing nothing major has gone wrong with it. I purchased it 12 years ago on about 80k , it’s now on 210k. I have never changed the auto box oil , I added a couple of litres 4 or 5 years ago when I replaced the radiator, other than that, the gb hasn’t been touched. 
just recently , a few weeks or so , we have noticed the box not changing up to top gear as early as it used to . Also it’s starting to hesitate going into drive and reverse , I don’t know the life expectancy of the torque converter or the viscosity of the fluid. Will changing the oil improve the operation of the gearbox and is it a case of just undoing the drainage plug , then topping up again.

probably worth just dropping the ATF and replacing with precisely the same amount as you got out.!

If the ATF is more black than a deep cherry red...or has a burnt odour about it..then it's time for change ..I assume the ATF level is where it should be.?

The level is ok , looks pinky/redish, is it just a case removing the drain plug at the bottom of the gearbox, then refilling via the tube the dipstick is in , or removing another plug somewhere else on the gearbox.

Thanks for the reply 

Sounds like your ATF is fine then..so maybe your gearbox issues go deeper.?....AFAIK it's a simple drain and refill...but not something I've yet had to do on my Estima.

Thanks, I will change the auto oil this weekend and see if that makes a difference.

If your ATF is in good condition and at the right level I'm not sure a simple drop and replace will do much tbh.?

Consider replacing the filter perhaps.?..but that's a bigger job than just a drain and refill.

Maybe it is a deeper problem, but the fluid change is the cheapest option at the moment and could possibly cure the problem, I only paid £2200 for the car 11 or 12 years ago, so a big spend on the box isn’t really viable. We was thinking of getting a newer estima model around 08 plate very soon anyway, maybe a hybrid.

What type fluid is used ? Dex 3 or 4

OK...understand..,..as for the ATF...not sure about your vintage...mine would be Toyota Type IV.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, the colour of the oil was quite dark almost black . Type 2 Dexron was actually written at the top of the dipstick holder . I managed to get about 2 litres or so out by undoing the drain plug, replaced the amount. Started up , took it for a run using all the gearbox selections. 100% improvement straight away, drained again and replaced , oil still quite darkish. I think there is a fair bit of oil that gets trapped around the circulation system, when draining. I have purchased another 5 litres and will do the same again this weekend to get a good viscosity, but already it’s like a new vehicle . I hadn’t realised just how sluggish the car had become. Thanks for the reply.

Regards Darryl 

That's good news....do that a few times and you should be good to go for while longer.

I think I need to change it a couple of more times to get it looking reddish again , might even keep it for a bit longer now it’s running good again!!!

Why not.?...my Estima has been in for it's MOT today...passed with no advisories whatsoever....and always has done in the nearly 6 years I've owned it. (apart from one regarding a small windscreen chip a few years ago..that got fixed of course)

It still drives like new..no bangs, rattles, knocks..and the V6 is as smooth today as it always was..it is still such a joy to drive.

I have no intentions of letting it go...these vehicles are so well put together.

The car is running fine , mot due in November I think. My wife is a childminder and the only issue with the car is , she really needs a sliding door each side as she has a lot of child and baby seats in the back. She is finding it hard/awkward accessing all the seats from one side. With two rear doors it would be so much easier, that was really the only reason why we wanted a newer version.

Yes, I agree...having sliding doors both sides is so useful...just one of the many things I like about my Estima.

Moved to the Estima forum.

this what I did jack up all wheels driver side gearbox has two pipes connected to intercooler runs in front just take off rear pipe which returns from intercooler to gearbox disconnect   leave in small bucket run engine for a minute  let about 2litre oil out stop engine fill with new dextron 2 run engine again and repeat until you see cherry oil comes out connect gearbox oil pipe back refill gearbox until warm check dip stick job done you need at least nine liters. caution please do not run gearbox dry when refills  

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links