Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Advice on fitting a towbar

sproutdreamer

I need to fit a towbar to use a trailer for a couple of month so not a long term thing. I was looking at a number of towbars on eBay and the fitting details seemed very varied. Some demanded a bumper cut, some bumper removal and some no cut or removal. Some towbars seemed to require the silencer removal and others seemed to have several brackets.

Any wise words about a minimum effort installation.

I could really do with some advice here.

Some bars seem to have just 2 holes each side for mounting bolts through to the bar brackets, others seem to have extra brackets and then there is the silencer issue.

would the Toyota fitting instructions for the OE help?

go to http://www.toyota-tech.eu/Aim/Aim.aspx?pubtype=AIM&menuitem=2

In the search boxes tick Out of Production, put in Avensis, 2006/04 MMC Gen 2, Installation Manual & Towing Hitch or Towing Hitch wiring.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Heid...

The fitting guide is a bit incomprehensible and mostly in multi languages but not english.

I have ordered a towbar and am wondering how long it will take me to fit it as there is a good trailer for sale near to me. There are rubber grommets in the boot floori I assume these are for towbar fitting so no need to drill holes?

I made a start and fitted the nearside bracket. I was pleased to see that two of the 3 bolt fixings use the two threaded holes left after removing the tow loop bracket. The other bolt hole was just a 12mm drill up through an existing hole in the box section and through the top of the box section. I was also pleased I went for a curved towbar which tucks up neatly behind the return curve of the bumper and does not need the bumper off or a bumper cut, the swan neck towball curving up nicely. The driver side needs the rear silencer box off to access the right hand side box section so I have dosed the flange bolts with plusgas and saved that side for another day. Now to find a trailer!

On 8/30/2021 at 2:17 PM, sproutdreamer said:

There are rubber grommets in the boot floori I assume these are for towbar fitting so no need to drill holes?

tbh I think that they are there for drainage.

I assumed that the two rubber caps were for towbar fitting but not so, they are in different positions altogether and towbar bolting is in a standard position for all bars. Still the third hole is pre-drilled in the bottom of the box section and just need to drill through this hole and up through the top of the box section. There is a tube spacer supplioed to avoid squashing the box section by the third bolt.

• Like 1