Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Steering noise, is it steering rack or steering column? T27 Avensis

slc79

23 hours ago, JiiN said:

And one more update. Noise came back. 😄 I got new shaft from Toyota today, I'll replace it maybe wednesday and that should (maybe) close my case.

I posted on August 11th how to resolve this problem. Put the steering in the 'locked' position and mark the lower joint with Tipp-Ex so you can refit in the same position. The lower shaft is easy to remove (5 minutes) and then coat the splines with THICK grease.  You may need to do this every year or two. There is no need to buy a new shaft. Its a common Toyota problem and I have fixed a few cars..

Hi, apologies if my point is already covered, as I don't have time this evening to read the entire thread.

I had a slight clunk/knock felt through the steering wheel, during low speed manoeuvring, parking, etc. It started 12 months ago. A mechanic friend checked it out 9 months ago but it was so slight that he found it hard to detect. 

It was never present when driving at normal road speeds.

I put it down to steering bushing wear and intended to have them checked and replaced in due course. All bushings are still original at 180,000miles.

It got much worse over this summer/early autumn and was annoying, so I got the same mechanic friend to check it out again. He drove the vehicle to assess how it felt and he did detect it this time while manoeuvring at slow speed in his yard. He then put it on his hoist and checked all the suspension/steering bushings. These he deemed fine.

He narrowed it down to the steering wheel position adjustment mechanism in the steering column. It has been in the fully in and fully raised position for the past 100,000 miles. He thinks this has wore a localised spot in the mechanism.

He advised moving the steering wheel position to a slightly lower height and pulling it out a bit. The clunk/knock was immediately gone. A month since of driving has not seen it return.

No disassembly of the steering column was carried out.

Cheers

18 hours ago, mrfixer said:

I posted on August 11th how to resolve this problem. Put the steering in the 'locked' position and mark the lower joint with Tipp-Ex so you can refit in the same position. The lower shaft is easy to remove (5 minutes) and then coat the splines with THICK grease.  You may need to do this every year or two. There is no need to buy a new shaft. Its a common Toyota problem and I have fixed a few cars..

I've greased splines already and it helped about 3 weeks. Replacing that steering shaft is very simple task to do. No need to mark any joints etc when just turn wheels/steering wheel straight before removing shaft away so installing shaft back it is just easy to turn steering wheel back straight. Difference between those splines is so big that it is easy see when shaft goes wrong splines (wrong position).

I replaced shaft with new one couple hours ago and sound is again gone. New OEM shaft was only 170€ and I think now I don't have to grease it every 3 weeks. 😄

15 hours ago, Grogey said:

Hi, apologies if my point is already covered, as I don't have time this evening to read the entire thread.

I had a slight clunk/knock felt through the steering wheel, during low speed manoeuvring, parking, etc. It started 12 months ago. A mechanic friend checked it out 9 months ago but it was so slight that he found it hard to detect. 

It was never present when driving at normal road speeds.

I put it down to steering bushing wear and intended to have them checked and replaced in due course. All bushings are still original at 180,000miles.

It got much worse over this summer/early autumn and was annoying, so I got the same mechanic friend to check it out again. He drove the vehicle to assess how it felt and he did detect it this time while manoeuvring at slow speed in his yard. He then put it on his hoist and checked all the suspension/steering bushings. These he deemed fine.

He narrowed it down to the steering wheel position adjustment mechanism in the steering column. It has been in the fully in and fully raised position for the past 100,000 miles. He thinks this has wore a localised spot in the mechanism.

He advised moving the steering wheel position to a slightly lower height and pulling it out a bit. The clunk/knock was immediately gone. A month since of driving has not seen it return.

No disassembly of the steering column was carried out.

Cheers

I tried to adjust steering wheel other positions too but in my case that didn't get that clunk away. Maybe it was just got so bad being in same position 10 years with previous owner before I bought this car.

9 hours ago, JiiN said:

I've greased splines already and it helped about 3 weeks. Replacing that steering shaft is very simple task to do. No need to mark any joints etc when just turn wheels/steering wheel straight before removing shaft away so installing shaft back it is just easy to turn steering wheel back straight. Difference between those splines is so big that it is easy see when shaft goes wrong splines (wrong position).

I replaced shaft with new one couple hours ago and sound is again gone. New OEM shaft was only 170€ and I think now I don't have to grease it every 3 weeks. 😄

You used the wrong grease. You need to use the heavy grease that I specified. Over time your new shaft will likely start to make a noise.

You mark the shaft prior to removal not just for steering wheel alignment but to ensure the shaft is refitted in exactly the same orientation as it was removed. If you separate the splined coupling you must reassemble it exactly as it was previously.

I have done this repair on quite a few Toyotas. I am not an amateur. Retired now but I am 30+ years professional technician, VOSA/DVSA MoT tester and trainer and ran my own vehicle sales/service business.

9 minutes ago, mrfixer said:

You used the wrong grease. You need to use the heavy grease that I specified. Over time your new shaft will likely start to make a noise.

You mark the shaft prior to removal not just for steering wheel alignment but to ensure the shaft is refitted in exactly the same orientation as it was removed. If you separate the splined coupling you must reassemble it exactly as it was previously.

I have done this repair on quite a few Toyotas. I am not an amateur. Retired now but I am 30+ years professional technician, VOSA/DVSA MoT tester and trainer and ran my own vehicle sales/service business.

I asked Toyota service guy what grease I should use and used what he recommend. He said greasing sometimes helps few year or few weeks and there is no specific time how long it helps.  

Why new shaft need to be installed exact same splines as old one was? Splines look like exactly same all around shaft. Mine actually is exactly same spot still without marking. I used very long extension (didn't find shorter) with ratchet and it fitted only one position. Steering wheel was easy to check straight and front wheels wasn't able to turn against garage floor.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links