Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Spare wheel

2Chuffs

Please recommend where to get a space saver spare wheel and tyre for a new Rav4 PHEV.

Moved to the Rav4 club.

I guess it depends on your wheel size?  My R4P are 19" so I've been looking at something like this, not a full size wheel but I think better than the gunk?

https://tyremen.co.uk/product/18-toyota-rav-4-2019-2021-k-o-m-space-saver-spare-wheel-tyre-kit/

https://www.carnoisseur.com/products/details/road-hero-spare-wheel-kit-to-fit-toyota-rav4-rh093

Ask your dealer to order one for you...

2 minutes ago, Shootgun said:

Ask your dealer to order one for you...

Have you asked yours? And have they done so?

Reports from 'earlier' suggested that dealers would look on the list of accessories available for the car, find that the car wasn't supposed to have a temporary spare (due to weight / emissions considerations) and, politely say 'no' ...

2 minutes ago, philip42h said:

Have you asked yours? And have they done so?

Reports from 'earlier' suggested that dealers would look on the list of accessories available for the car, find that the car wasn't supposed to have a temporary spare (due to weight / emissions considerations) and, politely say 'no' ...

Yes, it was part of the deal. I told them no way i will drive off the forecourt without a spare wheel.

They fitted a space saver on a alloy wheel including the new foam insert, jack, etc... and i keept the pump and gunk as well.

• Like 1

I tried and really tried to push the dealer to order me a spare wheel kit, not listed so no order.  Just not able to order one the system will not allow the order to be placed let alone be processed. It’s listed in the manual but as a regional item, the US has one fitted, T165/90D 18” 107M. (For my standard 19” wheels)

When a car it's new it's type approved, so they can not supply a spare with a new car (depending on the spec), but as soon as you drive it from the garage it's your property

you can now buy a spare

My Dynamic came without a spare because I ordered the panoramic roof.

Managed to pick a genuine brand new Toyota Alloy Space Saver, foam insert, jack and tools on eBay for £150.

Still got the inflator and sealant so should be covered 👍

41A2DB0E-DA78-4E84-A160-B16B74B73C35.jpeg

BA805EBD-0251-4F33-B4D7-935904C3B52A.jpeg

On 8/12/2021 at 3:59 PM, ernieb said:

I tried and really tried to push the dealer to order me a spare wheel kit, not listed so no order.  Just not able to order one the system will not allow the order to be placed let alone be processed. It’s listed in the manual but as a regional item, the US has one fitted, T165/90D 18” 107M. (For my standard 19” wheels)

Whether you have 17”, 18” or 19” like my Dynamic the hand book lists the compact spare as T165/80D17 104M 

9DB9746C-DF9C-48AA-BDDE-D4480F1A5BA9.jpeg

3 hours ago, ernieb said:

@Rigsby, It might be a weight thing but my manual says differently.

Screenshot 2021-08-17 at 05.44.35.png

The page I posted was in the paper handbook that was supplied with my new Dynamic in June (UK).

I have the 19” wheels (standard on the Dynamic model, and the tyres are 225/55 19 (as listed in the UK supplied handbook) and not 235/55 19  that are listed on your attachment.

So some conflicting information, did you get your information from your UK handbook or from the internet, if so was it Toyota US or UK site ?

3 minutes ago, Rigsby said:

The page I posted was in the paper handbook that was supplied with my new Dynamic in June (UK).

I have the 19” wheels (standard on the Dynamic model, and the tyres are 225/55 19 (as listed in the UK supplied handbook) and not 235/55 19  that are listed on your attachment.

So some conflicting information, did you get your information from your UK handbook or from the internet, if so was it Toyota US or UK site ?

You have an HEV, Ernie has a PHEV - very different cars it would seem ...

So, the RAV 4.3 and 4.4 ran on 235/55R18s (amongst other sizes). The OEM spare was the same 165/80R17 which is 2.9% smaller in diameter that the road wheel and therefore a reasonable 'fit' for a low speed, short range get you home spare.

The RAV4.5 HEV went down to 225 width tyres - I'm guessing that was to reduce rolling resistance etc. and thereby marginally improve fuel economy. The same OEM spare (165/80R17) is now between 4.0% and 4.7% smaller in diameter that the road wheel - so not such a good 'fit' but, presumably, legal and within acceptable tolerances.

The RAV4.5 PHEV went back to 235 width tyres - whether to better spread the vast bulk of the overweight Battery or better handle the torque that the PHEV can put down I really don't know, but that's what Toyota has done. A 165/80R17 space saver would now be 6.6% smaller than the road wheel and I strongly suspect that that is NOT within acceptable tolerances even for a low speed, short range get you home spare. Instead, Toyota have specified a 165/90/R18 which is actually 1.6% larger than the road wheel.

Aftermarket suppliers such as KOM and Road Hero offer a 155/85R18 as a space saver spare (as Ernie noted in the second post of this thread!). That is in practice between 0.4% and 1.1% smaller than the diameters of the road wheels on a RAV4.5 HEV and, thus, a rather better fit than the OEM offering from Toyota. It is also only 2.9% smaller in diameter that the roadwheel fitted to the PHEV and therefore, I believe, a perfectly acceptable alternative to Toyota's 165/90/R18 offering.

But that is just my opinion ... 😉

5 minutes ago, philip42h said:

So, the RAV 4.3 and 4.4 ran on 235/55R18s (amongst other sizes). The OEM spare was the same 165/80R17 which is 2.9% smaller in diameter that the road wheel and therefore a reasonable 'fit' for a low speed, short range get you home spare.

The RAV4.5 HEV went down to 225 width tyres - I'm guessing that was to reduce rolling resistance etc. and thereby marginally improve fuel economy. The same OEM spare (165/80R17) is now between 4.0% and 4.7% smaller in diameter that the road wheel - so not such a good 'fit' but, presumably, legal and within acceptable tolerances.

The RAV4.5 PHEV went back to 235 width tyres - whether to better spread the vast bulk of the overweight battery or better handle the torque that the PHEV can put down I really don't know, but that's what Toyota has done. A 165/80R17 space saver would now be 6.6% smaller than the road wheel and I strongly suspect that that is NOT within acceptable tolerances even for a low speed, short range get you home spare. Instead, Toyota have specified a 165/90/R18 which is actually 1.6% larger than the road wheel.

Aftermarket suppliers such as KOM and Road Hero offer a 155/85R18 as a space saver spare (as Ernie noted in the second post of this thread!). That is in practice between 0.4% and 1.1% smaller than the diameters of the road wheels on a RAV4.5 HEV and, thus, a rather better fit than the OEM offering from Toyota. It is also only 2.9% smaller in diameter that the roadwheel fitted to the PHEV and therefore, I believe, a perfectly acceptable alternative to Toyota's 165/90/R18 offering.

But that is just my opinion ... 😉

Thanks Philip, a very helpful and concise explanation.

When I was looking for a space saver for mine, I noticed that the T165/80 17 (Toyota spec size) had a lesser OD than the 225/55 19 stock tyres, but went along with that size mainly because.

a) I knew it would fit and allow me to store the luggage cover below the floor.

b) It’s the size specified by Toyota, so shouldn’t cause any issues with warranty if it has to be used.

c) It hopefully (if fitted) wouldn’t be on the car very long.

d) hopefully wouldn’t be on the car at all.

Being of a certain age, I feel much happier in the knowledge that if I have the misfortune to have a puncture, l have every chance of continuing my journey quickly.

2 minutes ago, Rigsby said:

Thanks Philip, a very helpful and concise explanation.

When I was looking for a space saver for mine, I noticed that the T165/80 17 (Toyota spec size) had a lesser OD than the 225/55 19 stock tyres, but went along with that size mainly because.

a) I knew it would fit and allow me to store the luggage cover below the floor.

b) It’s the size specified by Toyota, so shouldn’t cause any issues with warranty if it has to be used.

c) It hopefully (if fitted) wouldn’t be on the car very long.

d) hopefully wouldn’t be on the car at all.

Being of a certain age, I feel much happier in the knowledge that if I have the misfortune to have a puncture, l have every chance of continuing my journey quickly.

... and you've got all the correct inserts and fittings so that it doesn't rattle about ... 😃 

The KOM / Road Hero option is thinner so will certainly fit and I have no worries about that and that's probably the way I will go in due course (hopefully before ...) 😉

18 minutes ago, philip42h said:

... and you've got all the correct inserts and fittings so that it doesn't rattle about ... 😃 

The KOM / Road Hero option is thinner so will certainly fit and I have no worries about that and that's probably the way I will go in due course (hopefully before ...) 😉

I picked mine up for £150 complete and unused, I looked at the KOM / Road Hero ones and was about to buy one when when this popped up on eBay for quite a bit less. He was asking more but made him an offer that was accepted.

Truth is, it’s something that I hope I will never have to use, it’s just peace of mind.

I have been caught out before with a company car, tyre shredded and a can of goo, might as well have had a roll of duct tape

A bit of reflection here,I felt a bit panicky driving for first time without a spare,[a ship with no lifeboats]

But,in over 60 yrs driving,had only one sudden deflation and that was my fault,valve didn't seal after checking pressure.

Had my share of slow punctures and poor sealing of tyres.

Have come to terms with lack of spare after 20k miles.

@Rigsby, my tyre data image was from the online handbook that’s available when I log into my Toyota account, it’s identical in that respect to the paper manual (which is rubbish).

I agree with the sentiment that it’s a little bit or reassurance having at least a thin tyre to get you home.

• Like 1

Although I've had quite a run of no serious tyre problems (just the odd slow puncture that got fixed without needing any action apart from a pump up before the trip to the dealer), I've had enough punctures over the last 20 years (about 20 - so on average 1 per year) to persuade me that I, for one, am not ready to go without a spare, which is why I've never yet gone for a PHEV or EV.

At least 4 of those punctures would definitely not have worked with the gunge (one had no rubber at all left on the rim by the time I stopped!) and at least 3 others the jury would have been out.

Having bought a RAV4 Hybrid 2 years ago, and got 2 sets of tyres and a full size spare wheel and tyre it's not worth it to me to make the change to the RAV4 PHEV, particularly as there's a number of things about the UK spec I really don't like.  It's a shame - with my journey patterns I'd probably only use petrol about 20 days a year.

I keep watching reports of developments of airless tyres, but none seem close to being ready for market.

8 hours ago, PeteB said:

Although I've had quite a run of no serious tyre problems (just the odd slow puncture that got fixed without needing any action apart from a pump up before the trip to the dealer), I've had enough punctures over the last 20 years (about 20 - so on average 1 per year) to persuade me that I, for one, am not ready to go without a spare, which is why I've never yet gone for a PHEV or EV.

At least 4 of those punctures would definitely not have worked with the gunge (one had no rubber at all left on the rim by the time I stopped!) and at least 3 others the jury would have been out.

Having bought a RAV4 Hybrid 2 years ago, and got 2 sets of tyres and a full size spare wheel and tyre it's not worth it to me to make the change to the RAV4 PHEV, particularly as there's a number of things about the UK spec I really don't like.  It's a shame - with my journey patterns I'd probably only use petrol about 20 days a year.

I keep watching reports of developments of airless tyres, but none seem close to being ready for market.

Plus one to the above.

last flat I had I had to wait 3 days to get a matching tyre.

Without the full size spare I would have been off the road.

Not prepared to live like that.

regards Terry

On 8/18/2021 at 6:28 PM, Terry10 said:

...last flat I had I had to wait 3 days to get a matching tyre...

not to mention the horror stories I've heard of people having to wait many hours (very late on a very wet Friday night in one case) for a recovery truck to turn up, only to be dumped at home and needing taxis to take the wheel to a tyre shop.

In a few cases people have mentioned relatives who called a recovery service expecting them to put the spare wheel on, and were shocked to be told their car didn't have one, just the tin of gunge - at least in some cases the AA/RAC man used it and it did actually work!

20 minutes ago, PeteB said:

not to mention the horror stories I've heard of people having to wait many hours (very late on a very wet Friday night in one case) for a recovery truck to turn up, only to be dumped at home and needing taxis to take the wheel to a tyre shop.

In a few cases people have mentioned relatives who called a recovery service expecting them to put the spare wheel on, and were shocked to be told their car didn't have one, just the tin of gunge - at least in some cases the AA/RAC man used it and it did actually work!

Whether it’s about weight or cost, the lack of a spare wheel in my opinion, is very much a backwards step.

But I’m of a certain age, and don’t mind getting my hands dirty, there are many drivers out there that probably wouldn’t know where to start.

1 minute ago, Rigsby said:

there are many drivers out there that probably wouldn’t know where to start.

and many, like me, no longer physically able to do it...