Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Northamptonshire toyota hybrid brake discs and pads replacement

Jignator

Hi all,

After some advice if possible. Had a car service with Toyota recently and they said that my Toyota Yaris Hybrid's discs are corroded excessively and pads worn low - 3mm inner pad. Possible caliper seized too. So I have two questions:

Does anyone have any recommendations for garages in the Northamptonshire area or nearby who could supply genuine Toyota parts and fix this for me please?

They also mentioned shock absorbers too and mechanic mentioned it was probably corroded when I bought the car, is it worth complaining as I bought as an approved used car from Toyota last year?

Thank you.

13 minutes ago, Jignator said:

They also mentioned shock absorbers too and mechanic mentioned it was probably corroded when I bought the car, is it worth complaining as I bought as an approved used car from Toyota last year?

Is the car still covered by the Approved used warranty?

Brakes may not be covered under the warranty as nowadays they tend to be considered as wear and tear components. The shock absorbers may be covered if the warranty is still in force.

Check your warranty and what is covered.

Anyone should be able to get genuine Toyota parts from a Toyota dealer parts dept.

Thanks both.

Shock absorber corrosion not covered in the warranty I am afraid.

Are these MOT failures, MOT advisories, or just what the dealer's telling you after a service? Shock absorbers corrode, but don't fail an MOT until they leak or fail to work.

Many garages will be able to supply and fit quality parts. If you insist on Toyota badged parts, then you'll pay a premium for parts that have been made and put into bags with Toyota on them.

Toyota don't manufacture brake discs, pads and shock absorbers - they buy them in!

• Like 1

It might be the Stealer scare mongering, as an example, my daughter bought a  ford focus and didn't have the history so went to the ford Stealer for an duplicate, they gave it a health check while they had it and frightened my daughter to death. They told her the car was a death trap and an accident waiting to happen, they told her the discs were beyond the wear limit , pads were worn out and should be replaced asap. She refused for them to do the job and drove the car home very carefully, I inspected the car for her and told her there was nothing wrong with the disc's and pads but she insisted I change them. I took all the parts off and laid them out on the floor along with the new ones and asked her if she could see any difference in the old and the new, very little was her answer. What I'm getting at is go to a local garage and have them look at them and advise you, when I say local garage DON'T go to a QUICKFIT GARAGE. lol

• Like 3

Ugh it really irks me that garages still seem to target women to scare them into unneeded work. Places like that need to be named and shamed to warn people away from them!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cyker said:

Ugh it really irks me that garages still seem to target women to scare them into unneeded work. Places like that need to be named and shamed to warn people away from them!

Agreed.

I had experience of a main Toyota Dealer in London doing it to my daughter some years ago!

• Like 1

I can recommend 3 decent garages in Northampton if you wish to avoid the Toyota main dealer.

All of them have built up a decent reputation over many years.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for your views, I guess we must not assume that I am being scared into unneeded work and it may actually be needed... I do agree on a second opinion though so will get that done. So the key on the paperwork shows that the issues I mentioned are 'advisory' and not 'needs urgent attention' The wording in my original post is exactly what the wording is on the paperwork.

1 hour ago, forkingabout said:

I can recommend 3 decent garages in Northampton if you wish to avoid the Toyota main dealer.

All of them have built up a decent reputation over many years.

Thanks, please let me know!

Hi Q - Stimpson avenue branch.

Brian Bradshaw motor engineers - Southfield avenue.

CMC - Bunting Road.

Any of those 3 garages will do a decent job at a fair price.

Thank you all! I think I have my next steps. And thank you forkingabout!

On 8/12/2021 at 8:19 AM, Jignator said:

Thank you all! I think I have my next steps. And thank you forkingabout!

Let us know how you got on !!