Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Understanding & Troubleshooting Gas Emissions for a new Toyota owner/enthusiast

BuzzN

My Dear Fellow worthy Toyota owners/enthusiasts...

I bought my Avensis last year and now getting it prepared for the annual inspection (MOT).

I am new to tinkering with cars. I have a general inclination towards mending things, but I am a super noob fixing cars. I am learning now since I love my Avensis very much, and I would like to keep it for a while :)

I got a pre-MOT inspection check-up done at my local Toyota garage. They found out the following problems before taking my Avensis for the MOT.

1) Incorrect Gas emissions values.

2) Uneven Parking brakes.

3) One headlight is not bright enough.

Please note I do not have any engine issues with my Avensis when it comes to driving. I have recently done an essential yearly service. I have changed the oil, oil filter, air filter, cabin filter, spark plugs, and Alt belt. All went pretty smoothly, and the engine purrs like a kitten.

Please see enclosed the readings of the gas emissions test. I tried to find videos and reading online but couldn't find any stepwise guide to teach me how to troubleshoot the emission problem. I understand that the problem may lie with either catalytic convertor, lambda sensors or exhaust leaks. I did come across a website, and when I tried to understand the readings on my emission results, I feel that it might be some exhaust leak issue.

Anyways can somebody kindly:

a) Guide me through what I am looking for in these emission results?
b) What should be the correct values to pass the emission test?
c) Any stepwise way to troubleshoot the root cause of the problems.

Emission Failure-Toyota Avensis.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Moved to the Avensis club.

Co2 should be 0.3 idle or 0.2 fast idle, lambda should be under 1.03

i would check the 02 sensors with a scan tool, B1 S2 maybe lean making the engine over fuel

TBH i would get the emissions retested somewhere else

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, flash22 said:

Co2 should be 0.3 idle or 0.2 fast idle, lambda should be under 1.03

i would check the 02 sensors with a scan tool, B1 S2 maybe lean making the engine over fuel

TBH i would get the emissions retested somewhere else

Thanks for the reply. I am planning to get it checked somewhere else. It's that I had been finding repairs so satisfying, and so I wanted to learn more about my Avensis.

1) Are there any recommended scan tools for Avensis?
2) And also, are there any home emission check tools?

Just curious so that I can be more independent :)

A basic scan tool will give you the basics, there are not any home emission tools, Gunson use to sell them but that was back in the days when carburettors were common edit. Just looked they are £300

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/676700/in-service-exhaust-emission-standards-for-road-vehicles-19th-edition.pdf

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, flash22 said:

A basic scan tool will give you the basics, there are not any home emission tools, Gunson use to sell them but that back in the days when carburettors were common edit. Just looked they are £300

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/676700/in-service-exhaust-emission-standards-for-road-vehicles-19th-edition.pdf

Thanks for a prompt reply... Ta!

This document seems pretty useful regarding emissions... Cheers :)

Lambda is well above one (very lean mixture). O2 is high and CO is low at 0.0

I would start by doing a careful inspection of the exhaust pipe - looking for a hole.

• Like 1

Another Avensis owner had a broadly similar problem on here.

On that car, there was a small hairline crack in the pipe very close to one of the lambda sensor attachment points, this was allowing a small amount of air into the pipe and diluting the mixture.  But not a big enough crack to be easily seen, or to change the exhaust note.

• Like 1