Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

How do 2nd generation Avensis models compare to early 3rd ones in reliability?

Fjord

Listen. Do you really want a CVT without the launch gear over a lovely standard 6 speed manuel? 

These CVT in the Avensis does not have the launch gear like the new ones do have. 

But the clucth is lovely on the manual diesel models.

16 hours ago, ToyotaGang said:

It's pretty much down to what people like.

I agree which is why I said pick your own poison etc. But do it from an informed pov of the various pros & cons. according to your own requirements.

But Heidfirst I have 17 years ownership and the AD series never had any issues with head gasket unless u overheat the engine or not look after it and service it. 

That'll be why Toyota issued service bulletins & spent many thousands of £s etc. replacing gaskets, heads, pistons & even complete "bare" engines foc to owners & also had a change in production design/materials. 

And I don't agree with u saying the 1.8 147 hp is as fast as the 2.2 DCAT 177 hp and fatser than the 1ad. Yes the 2.0 td has less horsepower but more torque and a turbocharger that makes the car produce more acceleration than the 1.8 . The 2.2 without traction goes 0-60 in 7 seconds which is way faster compared to the 1.8 which does it in 9-10 sec. 

I didn't say that the 1.8 147bhp was as fast as the 2.2 177bhp 2AD-FHV, I said that it had as much power as the 2.2 2AD-FTV. 😉

I did mention that it had less torque by not being forced induction. Iirc the official 0-60 figures of the manual 2AD-FHV Avensis is 7.9s, the 2ZR-FAE Avensis 9.4s. However, at no point has Fjord brought up rapid acceleration as a requirement whereas when he mentioned towing I told him to get a diesel if that was a regular requirement (I woud also recommend a Touring Sport over a saloon).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ToyotaGang said:

But the clucth is lovely on the manual diesel models.

It's certainly better than the on the 2ZR-FAE but I wouldn't go as far as calling them lovely. & the gearchange on the diesels imo isn't as nice as that on the petrol. Horses for courses again.

Sorry for being rude. I have must misunderstood what you meant in the beginning:) 

29 minutes ago, Heidfirst said:

It's certainly better than the on the 2ZR-FAE but I wouldn't go as far as calling them lovely. & the gearchange on the diesels imo isn't as nice as that on the petrol. Horses for courses again.

On 8/11/2021 at 6:51 PM, Fjord said:

I'm considering purchasing a 3rd gen Toyota Avensis from 2009 but most of the good things I've heard about the model has been about earlier (2006-2008) 2nd gen ones. Are there any known problems I should watch out for? Or is it recommended I just get a 2nd gen?

Also, in regards to engines I'm looking at a 1.8 petrol version since I've heard that engine is really fantastic in the >2005 2nd generation vehicles, maybe it is with the 3rd gen vehicles as well?

Thanks in advance for any help you might lend!

u not fancy a 3rd  gen 2.0 d4d one with a 1adftv engine 

I just bought a 6 speed 2018 1.6D and its very smooth and quiet inside. I'm pretty happy with it. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links