Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Nervous 2.2 D4-D 2007 owner - asking advice

Kenito

Hi there!
We bought a Rav 4 2007 d4d 220k km on the clock. After reading about the engine and all the faults I've become a bit concerned, but I wanna work proactive.

The car does not use any water or oil that I have noticed, and there is no smoke coming out of it. But I did notice when I was changing the oil that the oil itself was very thin, almost watery like when running. Just to be clear, there was no water in it, and it didn't smell a like diesel, but I have a feeling either it was a long overdue oilchange, or it has entered some diesel in the oil. And also the car is a little "nudgy" when I try to pull it over 3k rpm. It's very torqy under, so i'ts not like it's in a "bad shape". I have ordered gaskets so I can clean the EGR, according to history it was replaced at a toyota dealer and the ECU was remaped in 2012.
Should I wory about the injectors? Take them out, and give them a good rinse in a ultrasonic cleaner or something?

• 2 months later...
On 8/12/2021 at 2:26 AM, Kenito said:

Hi there!
We bought a Rav 4 2007 d4d 220k km on the clock. After reading about the engine and all the faults I've become a bit concerned, but I wanna work proactive.

The car does not use any water or oil that I have noticed, and there is no smoke coming out of it. But I did notice when I was changing the oil that the oil itself was very thin, almost watery like when running. Just to be clear, there was no water in it, and it didn't smell a like diesel, but I have a feeling either it was a long overdue oilchange, or it has entered some diesel in the oil. And also the car is a little "nudgy" when I try to pull it over 3k rpm. It's very torqy under, so i'ts not like it's in a "bad shape". I have ordered gaskets so I can clean the EGR, according to history it was replaced at a toyota dealer and the ECU was remaped in 2012.
Should I wory about the injectors? Take them out, and give them a good rinse in a ultrasonic cleaner or something?

if an exhaust is free of smoke - do not think abt injectors.

no worries abt oil if it does not smell like diesel. it looks you have 0w30 or 40 in the crankcase.

check with smooth rotation of turbo vaned and good vacuum link

cheers \ Igor

2.0 Litre BMW Diesel or 2.2 D? Just keep it serviced and don't worry about it. It may never happen.

I had a 2006 Lexus IS 2.2D. 220D for 20 months and mine unfortunately scrapped at 187,000 miles. Cause was HG had gone. My worst car. I liked the build quality, comfort and safety features, not the engine, gearbox or MPG. Around 32mpg for me. 

Only issue I had was a leaking injector O ring, so spraying out diesel vapour and smell of diesel. Repaired it myself for a tenner.

Now have a 2015 Toyota Auris Hybrid that's way better to drive and mpg wise.

Lexus.jpg