Do Not Sell My Personal Information

PHEV... What is the navigation solution like? Traffic, speed cams, 3D?

Nick72

Whether I use the built in or Google maps or Waze on Android Auto is TBD. Last PHEVs nav was superb. I even stopped using Waze and Google. Full 3D on the huge drivers display with pretty good real time traffic, speed cams, mobile speed cams etc. From what I've seen the R4Ps satnav looks like 1998 primitive but wondered if it does, and how good is it for...

Traffic

Speed cams

Hazards

3D buildings (everything was 3D on the last car and it was pretty accurate down to individual houses)

Or am I better just switching it off and using Android auto. Shame if so as it means I won't get directions on the HUD.

In a few words, stick to Waze. No competition in my view.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, ernieb said:

In a few words, stick to Waze. No competition in my view.

That's a shame. Will do that. Thanks Ernie.

Don’t het me wrong the in built nav works but does not give the detailed data you listed. The “people power” of Waze means it’s really up to date. On our regular trips it’s amazing to see incidents being displayed on Waze that we are literally just about to record ourselves. Coupled with being able to “talk” to Google and get local weather, data etc. it’s a win win.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ernieb said:

Don’t het me wrong the in built nav works but does not give the detailed data you listed. The “people power” of Waze means it’s really up to date. On our regular trips it’s amazing to see incidents being displayed on Waze that we are literally just about to record ourselves. Coupled with being able to “talk” to Google and get local weather, data etc. it’s a win win.

Cheers Ernie. I've used it a lot in the past but some issues with the audio book app made me switch back to Google maps then I abandoned that for the built into all up integrated Tom Tom where, like Waze, you could report hazards. It was very good and to see the zoomed in view directly in front on the drivers display and the zoomed out view of the infotainment screen if you wanted was cool. So it looks like I'll be back to Waze.

Do you recall if Waze remembers or knows all your favourites from Google Maps?

If I search Google to find a destination it can be available in Waze. A long press of the “speech” button on the steering wheel triggers Google and I can dictate a destination without problem.  Not had much success using the built in navigation system using speech, it’s easier to plug the phone in.
Since using Waze in the RAV I’ve had no problems picking up my Audible books where I might have been using my Samsung Android phone or iOS iPad.  I use The Poweramp app for music, all that side of it works as I’d expect.  I like the fact that if I stop at a services take my phone and then plug in on return the navigation picks up again once ice selected the Android Auto from the head unit display.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ernieb said:

If I search Google to find a destination it can be available in Waze. A long press of the “speech” button on the steering wheel triggers Google and I can dictate a destination without problem.  Not had much success using the built in navigation system using speech, it’s easier to plug the phone in.
Since using Waze in the RAV I’ve had no problems picking up my Audible books where I might have been using my Samsung Android phone or iOS iPad.  I use The Poweramp app for music, all that side of it works as I’d expect.  I like the fact that if I stop at a services take my phone and then plug in on return the navigation picks up again once ice selected the Android Auto from the head unit display.

Thanks Ernie. Does Android Auto work as it is supposed to? No faff or weirdness selecting 16 menu options to get in or out? Does it connect quickly? Current Hyundai Tuscon loaner is super fast. As soon as the phone is plugged in Android Auto is running on screen. It also splits the screen if you just want to play music from your music app with the other half the screen available for the built in satnav or whatever. I really like this. Is there anything like that on the R4P?

Cheers Ernie and sorry for all the questions. 

Nick, no problem.  I connect the phone via USB cable, remember the car only has one active USB port so that's it gone once you've connected the phone.  Select Menu on the head unit, select Android Auto and the screen goes to the map.  You can select the "microphone" icon on screen or a long press on the steering wheel to voice command a destination. There is a white button icon which if pressed displays your AA apps. I select Poweramp, my music app, select my artist or album music content etc., At the bottom of the screen is a bar and there is the Waze icon, tap that and the screen reverts to the Waze map.  The bar at the bottom is now the controls for the Poweramp app, play/pause etc.

Whilst the head unit is a little 'clunky' the AA function seems pretty robust.  As I've said earlier in the thread I often turn the ignition off, disconnect the phone and lock the car.  On return, plug in the phone and select AA and it continues with the route.  This is significantly better than the system I had in my previous few cars.  In these cars the system may even have locked me out and required a phone reboot. If I've been using the Poweramp app then the track etc., is still ready to play once I've selected the app from the AA menu.

Is the car you're buying the Dynamic Premium, i.e. with the JBL Speakers?  Mine is the Dynamic with the standard Toyota set up.  On previous  cars I've been happy with the standard setup for Speakers but I'm not so happy with the Toyota ones.  I'm going to change the Speakers in the front screen to the JBL Club 322F and I've already bought an adapter lead I just need to buy the speakers.

Hope that helps anyway you should be getting yours soon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ernieb said:

Nick, no problem.  I connect the phone via USB cable, remember the car only has one active USB port so that's it gone once you've connected the phone.  Select Menu on the head unit, select Android Auto and the screen goes to the map.  You can select the "microphone" icon on screen or a long press on the steering wheel to voice command a destination. There is a white button icon which if pressed displays your AA apps. I select Poweramp, my music app, select my artist or album music content etc., At the bottom of the screen is a bar and there is the Waze icon, tap that and the screen reverts to the Waze map.  The bar at the bottom is now the controls for the Poweramp app, play/pause etc.

Whilst the head unit is a little 'clunky' the AA function seems pretty robust.  As I've said earlier in the thread I often turn the ignition off, disconnect the phone and lock the car.  On return, plug in the phone and select AA and it continues with the route.  This is significantly better than the system I had in my previous few cars.  In these cars the system may even have locked me out and required a phone reboot. If I've been using the Poweramp app then the track etc., is still ready to play once I've selected the app from the AA menu.

Is the car you're buying the Dynamic Premium, i.e. with the JBL speakers?  Mine is the Dynamic with the standard Toyota set up.  On previous  cars I've been happy with the standard setup for speakers but I'm not so happy with the Toyota ones.  I'm going to change the speakers in the front screen to the JBL Club 322F and I've already bought an adapter lead I just need to buy the speakers.

Hope that helps anyway you should be getting yours soon.

That's amazingly helpful and reassuring Ernie, thank you.

Looks like I'll be using Android Auto a lot in that case.

Yes went for the Dynamic Premium as it was like 30 quid a month difference on my company car scheme and I was only paying 7pc tax rather than 40pc so overall it works out ok. I understand the JBL set up is good but not great but I'm not audiophile. However, I didn't want to go backwards from the Peugeot Focal sound system on the last car which again was good not great, or, the standard sound system whatever that was on the previous Merc AMG. Whether I could tell the difference on any of this is another matter.

I hadn't ever heard of JBL to be honest until looking at this car. Had heard of B and O, Bowers and Wilkins etc. So I know nothing about JBL really.

JBL is an American company and has been going for some time, it owns brands such as Harmon.  It has two main businesses consumer (Speakers, headphones, earbuds etc.) and professional (studio systems, cinema, events etc.) and has pioneered some major developments.  I’ve read that it works well in the RAV4P but have no experience myself.

Like you I’m never much bothered car audio systems or buying upgraded audio after all its a car and hardly the physical environment to produce good sound.  My issues is the clarity of speech, for my audio books, and radio such as BBC 4 and BBC4ex, that surely tells you my age. However, I do have a pretty wide range of music that I like to carry with me, again I like to hear what’s being sung rather than a mush and although I’m well over the state retirement age my hearing is still good. 😀

• Thanks 1

The JBL is seems ok, but I wouldn't say it blew me away, although I am no sound expert (I don't know how it compares to the standard system); I added it mainly for the PVM system, which I really find useful.

I find the built-in nav sub standard to Google maps; it will frequently tell me to make a turn, when it actually means follow the bend; this has caught me out a few times. Traffic info also does not seem to be as quick as Google Maps.

Speed cameras requires a subscription after the first month.

However, I do use the built in nav unless I'm doing a long run, but this is because I don't like putting my phone on and off charge; if I could could connect to Android Auto wirelessly, I would just use Google Maps.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ernieb said:

JBL is an American company and has been going for some time, it owns brands such as Harmon.

Actually Harman International owns JBL & Harman is owned these days by Samsung Electronics.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Saxacat said:

The JBL is seems ok, but I wouldn't say it blew me away, although I am no sound expert (I don't know how it compares to the standard system); I added it mainly for the PVM system, which I really find useful.

I find the built-in nav sub standard to Google maps; it will frequently tell me to make a turn, when it actually means follow the bend; this has caught me out a few times. Traffic info also does not seem to be as quick as Google Maps.

Speed cameras requires a subscription after the first month.

However, I do use the built in nav unless I'm doing a long run, but this is because I don't like putting my phone on and off charge; if I could could connect to Android Auto wirelessly, I would just use Google Maps.

Thanks. What is a PVM system? 

9 hours ago, Nick72 said:

Thanks. What is a PVM system? 

Panoramic View Monitor - a great piece of kit, essential once you have one ...

• Like 1

Thanks each. Is that the same as the 360 surround camera for parking up.

In a word, yes.  I have to say there were a number of things that would have been good to have the 360 camera and the electronic view view ‘mirror’.  You’ll have a lot of new toys to play with.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ernieb said:

In a word, yes.  I have to say there were a number of things that would have been good to have the 360 camera and the electronic view view ‘mirror’.  You’ll have a lot of new toys to play with.

I'd have liked the electronic rear view mirror more than the 360 camera but I font believe the rear view mirror thingy is on any of the uk cars.

I have the RAV4 dynamic premium and it certainly does not have the 360 degree camera or the electronic rear view mirror 

@Smelter1, thanks for the update, the spec I’d seen had it listed. We certainly have a lot of “missing” items in the UK spec.

47 minutes ago, Smelter1 said:

I have the RAV4 dynamic premium and it certainly does not have the 360 degree camera or the electronic rear view mirror 

Oh please don't say that. There's a long list now of stuff that doesn't come with the car versus the spec document and even the brochure. I probably should have stuck with the Volvo as that had stuff missing from the chip crisis.

Madness ... the Premium Pack option on the HEV adds "Toyota Skyview® panoramic roof *, JBL® Premium Sound System with 9 Speakers including an 8-channel, 800-watt amplifier, 2x tweeters, 4x wide-dispersion speakers, 2x full range Speakers and subwoofer & Panoramic View Monitor (PVM)" which I added to my Excel spec exactly 'cos I wanted PVM - I didn't care about pan roof or JBL.

The Dynamic Premium grade of the PHEV adds the extra goodies of the Excel + Premium Pack but instead of PVM it seems to get HUD ...

Sympathies

• Sad 2

It is sad there does not seem to be a great deal of extras for the additional cost.  When I negotiated my Dynamic I’m pretty certain the dealer talked about the extras that would be added to the premium package and I’m sure that the 360 PVM was part of the deal.  Obviously this is not the case which is very sad.  It’s still a good car but I think Toyota UK have a lot to answer for.