Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Another PHEV question... sorry... cargo zone load floor sturdiness

Nick72

Was reading on a US forum that the R4 cargo tray floor or whatever it is called is really a piece of cardboard pretending to be a load floor and how they've had to reinforce it with pieces of wood. I'm worried if the R4P suffers a similar issue especially as there is no spare wheel to hold up the floor.

I transport a lot of stuff, 150 to 200kg. No problem in the last car or cars before that so I'm wondering if there is an issue or not? Never even occurred to me that a load floor wouldn't actually be a load floor but just a cover for some compartments below.

Am I over worrying? 

It’s not cardboard. It’s made of a hard double skinned plastic with the lower layer ribbed to provide reinforcement.  It’s a reasonable thickness and very stiff.  I think if your proposed load is spread over a sensible area rather than a point load it will be fine.  I’ve already loaded mine a few time and it’s never moved.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ernieb said:

It’s not cardboard. It’s made of a hard double skinned plastic with the lower layer ribbed to provide reinforcement.  It’s a reasonable thickness and very stiff.  I think if your proposed load is spread over a sensible area rather than a point load it will be fine.  I’ve already loaded mine a few time and it’s never moved.

That's reassuring Ernie. Sounds like a different cover to the US R4s (not the Primes).

Major relief because I was anticipating having to out some thick plywood to make a sub cover with a hinge to access the charging cable. Doable but I've got enough to do.

Sounds like it will be ok.