Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Immobiliser not turning off

CMJToyota

My year 2000 Corolla had a new alternator and Battery fitted last year and since then the immobiliser has become very tempremental. When I get in the car and try and start it the red flight keeps flashing and the starter will not engage. I found though that turning the key in the lock five times and then trying to start it works but this is obviously not a long term solution.

Any ideas on how to cure this please?

How are you unlocking the car:

Key in door

Button on remote fob

When you hold the key up to the ignition barrel, does the immobiliser light change?

Opening the door with the key.. The immobiliser keeps flashing when the key is in the lock. The key has a brand new Battery in it.

The key doesn't need a Battery for the immobilizer - It just powers the door remote buttons; The immobilizer uses an induction-powered RFID chip in the key.

I have a feeling either the RFID chip has been dislodged or damaged and isn't being detected properly, or (Less likely but still possible) there is a fault with the inductor ring that surrounds the key barrel.

Things get a bit vague here, as I can't remember what style of Key the Corolla has - In some Toyota cars of that Era (e.g. my Mk1 Yaris) the RFID chip is built into the door remote transponder block, and there's not a great deal you can do with it. On other cars, the immobilizer RFID is a tiny black chip about the size of a grain of rice that's embedded in the key itself near the keyblade. It should be stuck in but if it's dislodged I seem to recall that caused problem with detection because they were very short-ranged.

The keys look like those in the attached image. I have two identical black master keys as shown as 1 in the image. I was not given a sub key(2). One of the keys has lost the button covers 

C35E1C99-EAD7-4EF6-8A71-B5523D6C0974.jpeg

• 3 months later...

Bumping this topic as I am still having trouble with this.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links