Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Have I Made The Right Choice Of Engine?

Georgey Porgey

Hi. New to the group & my 1st post.

It's come to the stage in life need a car to be eco & reliable & had my fun with turbo cars.

I do about 30miles a day on average 7 days a week to work. (In the United Kingdom)

I also got to see my son in university who's based in Kent.

I live in Birmingham which is about 200miles 1 way. So we looking to see him once in 2 months.

Then in about another year my daughter will be going to university somewhere in England UK.

I've ordered a Toyota Corolla TS Excel 1.8 Litre but I'm thinking of maybe going up to the 2.0. 

Ive drove both cars but nearly £1900 to upgrade is it worth it?

Only difference is the engine power, wheels, rear exhaust & bumper.

I'm not towing anything nor filling the boot up.

Only carry my tool box & gym bag which is no heavier than 50kg.

Do you think I've made the right choice picking the 1.8l engine?

Hi Mohammed, and welcome to the TOC forum,

There is nothing wrong with the 1.8, it is the same engine in my Prius (all Prius and Auris since 2009) and my wife’s 2010 Auris, same as in all the Auris up to change of name to Corolla.  I too have just done a 210 mile journey, to Norfolk for a holiday, and then back. I was cruising at 70 on the MWays with ease, and if their was a bunching up of vehicles with clear road ahead I easily put a spurt on to get into clear air. I did in total about 750 miles that week, and still topped 80mpg (photo shots of dash readings on this forum). You won’t get that mpg due to the fact the Prius is more aero dynamically shaped, proven to cut through the air with less disturbance. Either engine will give better mpg in the summer then the winter. 
The 2 litre (IMO) is for those who still think they are boy racers or always carrying a heavy load. Either engine you will get a button that changes the characteristic of the accelerator pedal, makes it feel more spritely. I use it infrequently, others use it all the time, up to the individual.
If you were to cancel the Corolla 1.8, the only reason I would put forward is to get a new Prius. They have longer wheelbase then the Corolla, more leg room in the rear, and more boot space. Plus, the latest Prius Gen4 is more economic then my 2016 Gen4.             
There is no sound reason you will be disappointed with the 1.8

Edit….. if you carrying your tool box just in case the car breaks down…. Forget it. Toyota has a reputation for quality build, and in any case, engine compartments are so complex these days that roadside repairs are a thing of the past. I do however, have a breakdown service with Start Rescue that costs less the £76 per year for our two cars, including home call as well.

• Like 2

Howdo.  To ask the question you must be wondering even subconsciously.

With anything it's wether the extra is worth the money?  I didn't order the AWD version of the rav because it wasnt worth the extra 3k to me for something I didn't need.  Even more so with the Phev, nearly 8k more.

As catlover says the 1.8 is more than capable of propelling the car at decent speeds but I wouldn't describe the 2.0 as a boy racer car 🤣.  It's just a little faster that's all.

You might have seen my other comments in threads about this.  I like to have the torque to get going fully loaded up hills etc. I looked at a Corolla 2.0 as it's the same performance as my current car.

The basic questions are will you always be wishing you had gone for the 2 0, and is the extra cost worth it?

I've been driving for 34 years now and only just got out of the habit of carrying a tow rope, jump leads etc.

• Like 2

Morning Mohammed

I have the Corolla estate GR Sport 1.8 I know people will have different opinions but it's fast enough for me. According to the Toyota Corolla price list and specs both 1.8 and 2.0 have a top speed of 112 mph although the 2.0 is quicker 0-62 mph 8.1 against 11.1 seconds or as I see it when the 2.0 is doing 62 mph if I count to 3 I will also be doing 62 mph, I don't think it is worth the extra cost. Add to that the 1.8 has better mpg according to Toyota's published figures.

• Thanks 1

I have the Corolla 1.8 had it 5 months and although still working from home and not doing much mileage it has been more than adequate for all journeys usually travelling with wife and child with boot loaded with buggy and everything else you need for a toddler. 

Even on motorway driving not noticed any struggle keeping up with other road users. I have found the car makes me want to drive efficiently

• Like 2

If you like to accelerate quickly then the 2.0 is better but if you're interested in saving fuel the 1.8 is better.

There is no way to have both of these things because accelerating quickly always means burning more fuel. That's physics for you 😉

My opinion is that accelerating quickly and overtaking at every opportunity is pointless at best and dangerous at worst. A relaxed driving style and going with the flow will save fuel and is safer.

The 1.8 is no slouch and has more than enough power to keep up with traffic.

• Like 6

I have had the 1.8 and have just changed to 2.0

Thoughts, 1.8 very suitable for everyday with enough get up and go for most things. 

2.0 again, everyday use fine and if I want to use all the power available I can. 

I found the 1.8 very easy to get on with, relaxing to potter about or cruise the motorway 

The 2.0 is much the same in normal driving mode, horrible in eco, and almost a beast in sport.

I never use eco, unless I'm stuck in traffic and only use sport to be the first off the line occasionally. 

• Like 1

Driven in normal mode the performance of the Corolla is adequate.  You have to accept that when you put your right foot down you are not going to get the immediate burst of acceleration that you get with a turbo car, hybrids are focusing on economy and efficiency not performance.  However switch it into sports mode and the difference is like night and day, I was surprised how much faster it is.  Though I can't say how it affects the fuel consumption if it is continually driven in sports mode.  

Buying a Toyota hybrid it’s never a wrong choice, therefore either if the engines you pick you will be happy with, the only time you may wish you went for the 2.0 is when you overtake someone on the motorway and he steps on the accelerator, my advice will be like Andrew’s, take it easy and safely. Enjoy your new car 🚗👍

• Like 2

I love my 2.0. I've done 38.000 miles so far. 

The thing is, I will never end up in a situation, where I would wish for extra power. Holidays are often in southern Europe with climbs and mountain roads. The German Autobahn takes us there. 

Some times traffic build up, cars changing lanes, very fast cars coming from behind. All kind of stuff can happen, and some times it fells like the best choice to put our foot down, and accelerate away from danger. 

The difference between 122 or 180 hp is extreme. It's not just a little faster, it's very fast from ex 50 to 80 mph. if you push it hard. 

The 2.0 is the best tool, if you want to drive the way you find the best. The car it self wont be a limiter in any way. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, nielshm said:

I love my 2.0. I've done 38.000 miles so far. 

The thing is, I will never end up in a situation, where I would wish for extra power. Holidays are often in southern Europe with climbs and mountain roads. The German Autobahn takes us there. 

Some times traffic build up, cars changing lanes, very fast cars coming from behind. All kind of stuff can happen, and some times it fells like the best choice to put our foot down, and accelerate away from danger. 

The difference between 122 or 180 hp is extreme. It's not just a little faster, it's very fast from ex 50 to 80 mph. if you push it hard. 

The 2.0 is the best tool, if you want to drive the way you find the best. The car it self wont be a limiter in any way. 

Agreed with that but only when on motorways and you want to drive as you have described, otherwise driving in town you wouldn’t know if you have 1.8 or 2.0 under bonnet. Op question” is it worth the extra money”, there is no straight answer unfortunately., it will depend of your priorities, efficiency or performance, these two never goes together in any car, any engine set up. 

• Like 1

We all look at just 0 to 60 tho, but that's not why I like having some power.

I haven't been a boy racer for decades, not that I ever really was one.  TLGPs are for insecure young lads.  Top speed doesn't interest me either.  Toyota top speeds are limited by the electric motor top rotation speed anyway. 

I've had some hot hatches in the past but I always preferred being on an empty road,

No.  I like a bit of power so that when I am overtaking I can get speed up quickly AND minimise the time in danger.

I do like being able to get past the tractor quickly, easily and safely.

Is the cruising mpg much different between the 1.8 and 2.0?  I doubt it will be.

• Like 1

I'm sure you will be more than pleased with the 1.8 given your list of 'current' requirements.  

I like my 2.0, I'm not a boy racer, and have (so far) had no inclination to press the ECO or Sport button and have not touched the paddle shifters.  I set it to Normal, Drive, and Go. A relaxed driving experience is the key requirement for me, turn the music up (a little) and enjoy the journey.  For decades I didn't buy particular (expensive) brands due to the higher maintenance and running costs, but most marques have become more comparable in recent years.  Buy what makes you happy.  If you need to get the best deal on initial purchase check out discounts through CarWOW (or Defence Discount/Blue Light if you are ex forces or NHS/Police/Fire Brigade).  

• Like 2

I find the new 2.0 had noticeably more pull than the new 1.8 when I was having a play in one, but the 1.8 is no slouch either.

Both are great at cruising on the motorway, but if you were taking more twisty A-roads and lots of hills while carrying loads of stuff and people in the back I could imagine the 2.0 being nicer to drive.

From what you've said, I reckon the 1.8 should be fine tho' - It's still got enough grunt, esp. if the car is mostly empty! And it get noticeably better mpg than the 2.0 as well! If you were getting the Estate (Or 'Sports Tourer' as they call it for some reason :laugh: ) I'd lean more towards the 2.0, but with the normal car you can't go wrong with either choice TBH - Maybe see if they'll let you borrow one of each for a week to help you decide? :naughty: 

Must admit I wouldn't mind having that 4-pot 1.8 in my Yaris Mk4 - The 1.5 3-pot is fantastic when it's just me, very bursty and chuckable and regularly getting me high-70's/low-80's mpg, but when it's full of people and gear it does struggle a bit on hills and stuff compared to my old diesel Mk1! Would also be less engine vibration with the 4-pot I suspect!!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Catlover said:

Hi Mohammed, and welcome to the TOC forum,

There is nothing wrong with the 1.8, it is the same engine in my Prius (all Prius and Auris since 2009) and my wife’s 2010 Auris, same as in all the Auris up to change of name to Corolla.  I too have just done a 210 mile journey, to Norfolk for a holiday, and then back. I was cruising at 70 on the MWays with ease, and if their was a bunching up of vehicles with clear road ahead I easily put a spurt on to get into clear air. I did in total about 750 miles that week, and still topped 80mpg (photo shots of dash readings on this forum). You won’t get that mpg due to the fact the Prius is more aero dynamically shaped, proven to cut through the air with less disturbance. Either engine will give better mpg in the summer then the winter. 
The 2 litre (IMO) is for those who still think they are boy racers or always carrying a heavy load. Either engine you will get a button that changes the characteristic of the accelerator pedal, makes it feel more spritely. I use it infrequently, others use it all the time, up to the individual.
If you were to cancel the Corolla 1.8, the only reason I would put forward is to get a new Prius. They have longer wheelbase then the Corolla, more leg room in the rear, and more boot space. Plus, the latest Prius Gen4 is more economic then my 2016 Gen4.             
There is no sound reason you will be disappointed with the 1.8

Edit….. if you carrying your tool box just in case the car breaks down…. Forget it. Toyota has a reputation for quality build, and in any case, engine compartments are so complex these days that roadside repairs are a thing of the past. I do however, have a breakdown service with Start Rescue that costs less the £76 per year for our two cars, including home call as well.

Thanks for the reply

I love ke the idea of the prius 1.8 engine which has won awards aswell alot if taxi drivers got them I found out that if they are using them they must be good.

I want something economical now especially my vauxhall astra 1.4turbo which only gives me less than 33mpg which now I used to trade in for my wife's new Toyota Yaris Hybrid which they give me £2k scrap value.

Plus I want a 5 seater if I want to pop out with the family. But that not very often.

The tool box is my work tools which I leave at work mainly but I'm renovating my house so I bring them home on the weekends.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Yugguy1970 said:

With anything it's wether the extra is worth the money?  I didn't order the AWD version of the rav because it wasnt worth the extra 3k to me for something I didn't need.  Even more so with the Phev, nearly 8k more.

As catlover says the 1.8 is more than capable of propelling the car at decent speeds but I wouldn't describe the 2.0 as a boy racer car 🤣.  It's just a little faster that's all.

You might have seen my other comments in threads about this.  I like to have the torque to get going fully loaded up hills etc. I looked at a Corolla 2.0 as it's the same performance as my current car.

The basic questions are will you always be wishing you had gone for the 2 0, and is the extra cost worth it?

I've been driving for 34 years now and only just got out of the habit of carrying a tow rope, jump leads etc.

I know what you mean about the 2.0l it's got some poke but like you said will I be wishing? They say more is better but if they thrown in the jbl upgrade & put a heads up display screen in the same price would of gone for it but as it's the top of the range model & these are missing it's kind of disappointing.

I'm not going up & down the motorway fully loaded nor going on A roads. So Im sure the 1.8l is spot on.

10 hours ago, Catlover said:

If you were to cancel the Corolla 1.8, the only reason I would put forward is to get a new Prius. They have longer wheelbase then the Corolla, more leg room in the rear, and more boot space.

The Corolla TS that he has ordered has the same 2700mm wheelbase as the Prius, not sure about the rear leg space but the TS wins the bootspace.

• Like 1

I know what you mean about the 2.0l it's got some poke but like you said will I be wishing? They say more is better but if they thrown in the jbl upgrade & put a heads up display screen in the same price would of gone for it but as it's the top of the range model & these are missing it's kind of disappointing.

6 minutes ago, Heidfirst said:

The Corolla TS that he has ordered has the same 2700mm wheelbase as the Prius, not sure about the rear leg space but the TS wins the bootspace.

Ah, I didn’t spot the TS bit. Estate is much nicer then the hatch IMO.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Georgey Porgey said:

Plus I want a 5 seater if I want to pop out with the family. But that not very often.

The middle seat is not the most comfortable for long drives for an adult, not so much if you put a booster seat in for a child.  There is also the rear central arm rest to contend with.

Yeah one thing I'd say is that the HB is only for young families, couples or singles. Don't buy the HB if you want to be ferrying adults around in the back for any distance. Also the HB at least is quite low to the ground and if I was in my 70s I might not be so keen on getting in and out of it and I don't know if that's specific to the HB or all Corollas.

• Like 1

I have  a petrol 1.2 turbo corolla estate and its like shat off a shovel ,  unlike all those so called eco hibrid electro cars that are wasting fuel charging batteries and carrying heavy batteries and electric motors, which will wear out the petrol engine sooner than latter,by the way the batteries are far worse for the environment than people think , as for co2 humans expel 3 biilion tonnes of it a year , whats next banning people...😁

Roger

10 hours ago, Beta said:

Morning Mohammed

I have the Corolla estate GR Sport 1.8 I know people will have different opinions but it's fast enough for me. According to the Toyota Corolla price list and specs both 1.8 and 2.0 have a top speed of 112 mph although the 2.0 is quicker 0-62 mph 8.1 against 11.1 seconds or as I see it when the 2.0 is doing 62 mph if I count to 3 I will also be doing 62 mph, I don't think it is worth the extra cost. Add to that the 1.8 has better mpg according to Toyota's published figures.

I was so tempted to buy the GR but thought extra £500 for the excel which you get the full leather so called seats for more comfort on drives when I pop to see my son at university also they added the boot kick feature too 

I'm glad you loving your GR still waiting for my car in November.

Driving back from football today with four in the car, I was glad I had the extra power of the 2.0, was joining a motorway on a long slip road with three slowish moving trucks in front of me, I was able to switch to sport and get past them all with ease before the slip road merged to one lane. 

I have no idea if the 1.8 would have been able to get past them too but it’s definitely useful to have the turn of speed when you want / need it. My TS averages 56mpg in the 2800 miles I’ve covered which I’m happy with. I don’t mind sacrificing a few mpg’s for the option of extra power. Whichever one you get I’m sure you will be very happy with it. 

• Like 1