Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Have I Made The Right Choice Of Engine?

Georgey Porgey

I've had the 1.8 TS for the last year, done several motorway trips 200-300 miles, no issues at all - flick it into sports mode and you get a real boost if needed. Otherwise put into normal mode, activate the 'autopilot' cruise control and the miles click away, a very relaxing drive. Excellent boot space. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"I also got to see my son in university who's based in Kent.

I live in Birmingham which is about 200miles 1 way. So we looking to see him once in 2 months.

Then in about another year my daughter will be going to university somewhere in England UK." 

Rather than engine size, is it the right model? 

I am delighted with the Corolla but with 3 up its lugage capacity is limited. For an annual holiday I might consider hiring a larger car or using an airport taxi. 

For 6 to 12 University runs per year capacity will be an issue. Sticking with a Corolla I would lokk at the estate rather than hatchback. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

I live in Birmingham which is about 200miles 1 way. So we looking to see him once in 2 months.

Then in about another year my daughter will be going to university somewhere in England UK." 

I am delighted with the Corolla but with 3 up its lugage capacity is limited. For an annual holiday I might consider hiring a larger car or using an airport taxi. 

For 6 to 12 University runs per year capacity will be an issue. Sticking with a Corolla I would lokk at the estate rather than hatchback. 

It's the estate he's going for.

• Like 1

The 1.8 is ‘adequate’ for all scenarios - it’s an older generation engine than the 2.0, but much more efficient. The 2.0 is tuned differently, and has much more performance to offer. I think the 2.0 is more effortless as there is a bit more mid-range torque than the 1.8. 

The 2.0 delivers fuel economy comparable with an efficient 2.0tdi (say a 150bhp variant), the 1.8 is as efficient as a small diesel on the motorway and more efficient than any other petrol or diesel car around town (new Yaris aside).  

I'm quite happy with 57-58mpg on average, and wanted the performance of the 2.0 (after 5 years of Golf R ownership). 

for those seeking the ultimate in fuel economy, or just not bothered with power in excess - the 1.8 is fantastic! 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Roy124 said:

Hope your son is doing well at uni.

The model I went was the Toyota Corolla Excel Touring Sport Estate 1.8

Holiday wise we haven't done a holiday in the UK apart from day trips out.

9 hours ago, Beta said:

It's the estate he's going for.

Yes I'm going for the excel model 1.8 toyota corolla estate

How many revs do the 1.8 and 2.0 rotate with, when doing 50/60 mph?

The 2.0 does 1300 revs with 54 mph (90 km/h). Very quiet and effortless. 

On the motorway is about 2500 revs with 80 mph. 

My idea is, since the 2.0 is stronger, it's capable of lower revs than the 1.8. Or what?? 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, nielshm said:

How many revs do the 1.8 and 2.0 rotate with, when doing 50/60 mph?

The 2.0 does 1300 revs with 54 mph (90 km/h). Very quiet and effortless. 

On the motorway is about 2500 revs with 80 mph. 

My idea is, since the 2.0 is stronger, it's capable of lower revs than the 1.8. Or what?? 

About 2000rpm at 70mph on the flat. Other 1.8 owners may be able to confirm.

Revs are kinda arbitrary with the hybrids... mine often sits around 2000 rpm whether i'm doing 10mph or 70! :laugh: 

It only goes past that if I'm asking for more and more acceleration, or if there are hills or something.

• Like 1

Exactly, revs on the different engine sizes are not of importance with Toyota hybrids since they have very unique transmission without gears, therefore also the Rev counter is pointless, previous design like Auris or Chr with power counter works much better IMO. This 2.0 hybrid set up in general is more powerful and heavier than 1.8, but that comes at a price of having a heavier transmission-engine, driveshafts(axle) , heavier Battery and heavier brakes, but also the extra power deliver more performance. The 1.8 is straight from Prius and the only difference with Prius will be the aerodynamics and wheel sizes. I have non of the variants but got some info as interested and noticed that the fuel consumption difference is around 10mpg between 1.8 and 2.0 real world. Ok, with 2.0 you may get close to 1.8 in certain cases but you have to try to get there been ultra efficient driver. 2.0 looking around 50-55mpg real world where the 1.8 will be 60-65mpg. 👍

• Like 1

Just order the 2.0.  Then you won't even need to wonder.  🤣

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Yugguy1970 said:

Just order the 2.0.  Then you won't even need to wonder.  🤣

He would be wondering how he could have better spent the £1500 the 2.0 litre cost more then the 1.8 when 1.8 is all he needed.

• Like 4

Yup the £1500 saved will buy you about 18k miles of fuel so no contest.

• Like 4

I've had the 1.8 and yep the economy is great but I ordered a 2.0 just because I wanted something with a bit more go!

• Like 1

It was only the fact that Toyota had finally got a hybrid hatch with decent poke that made me go test drive a Corolla.

My current car is 182bhp so going down in power to the 1.8 I'd have felt the loss.

I'd have had a design touring sport 2.0 but the missus twisted my arm for the RAV in the end.  Ironically it's a little slower than the Focus but felt fast enough for me.

• Like 1

Yeah, same here - I remember I was quite excited by the Mk3 Yaris Hybrid when it was announced, but was terribly disappointed with it when I got to try one - It was worse in every way compared to the Mk1 D4D I had at the time - Bigger externally, but had less passenger leg room, no digital dash, no sunroof, worse mpg, harsher ride, absolutely gutless at any speed and far more expensive to buy, service and insure.

Thankfully they seem to have gotten a handle on that with the new TNGA cars - The Mk4 is sooooo much nicer to drive than the Mk3 and, like my old diesel, I can have my cake and eat it - I can hoon it around when I feel like it but still get 70-80 mpg! Magic! :biggrin:  The thing is, it isn't even that fast, but it has instant torque at all the speeds I drive at, and a good amount of it, and that's all I really wanted. Horsepower is meaningless unless you're on a track - It's low/mid-range torque that makes driving fun!

One of the biggest mistakes Toyota made IMHO was they were fixated on efficiency and low emissions at the cost of all else; I think they didn't understand how people wanted performance out of their vehicles - Something which Tesla realised early on that nobody else seemed to, and we've seen how well that paid off for them!

I'm secretly hoping, with the change in WRC regs to hybrids, plus the fact that the Yaris GR4 sold far better than they anticipated (Revealing an untapped market!), they'll put 2 and 2 together and realise that an absolute shedload of people would be interested in something like the Yaris Hybrid R concept car they thought up nearly a decade ago(!)...

Here's hoping...!

• Like 2

Yep, torque IMO is the biggest luxury a car can have.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, bewA said:

I've had the 1.8 and yep the economy is great but I ordered a 2.0 just because I wanted something with a bit more go!

+1

• Like 2

I have the 2.0 TS, fantastic economy,  including lots of queuing, 57 for poor mpg, usually 60's and 67 for a good run in decent weather.

But as I state, I use eco, which works great, and have no issues.

I also have to do some runs, over winding hill terrain, as 'up north' is an area I cover a lot ,and the 2.0 is perfect for that.

Completely relaxed, no effort,  with outstanding economy  🙂

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Yugguy1970 said:

Yep, torque IMO is the biggest luxury a car can have.  

Yet if you look up the specs for the corolla the torque figure is really low.

I think it's maybe because they don't give a combined figure for torque like they do for the power.