Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris 2019 icon tech windscreen chipped

sufy

Hi. I just realised after washing my car at the car wash (not the self wash one) i noticed a small crack or a chip you could say on my windscreen. How would it have happened and what is the cost of repair and who can i get it repaired by?

Thanks

Autoglass usually do a chip for free or £10 if you have windscreen cover on your insurance otherwise you can get a small repair kit

The rain-x kit has good reviews

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/paints-and-body-repair/scratch-repair-and-paint-restorers/rain-x-windscreen-repair-kit-125108.html

Even cheaper

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rain-Windscreen-Repair-Kit-white/dp/B00IPS4APU

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, flash22 said:

Autoglass usually do a chip for free or £10 if you have windscreen cover on your insurance otherwise you can get a small repair kit

The rain-x kit has good reviews

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/paints-and-body-repair/scratch-repair-and-paint-restorers/rain-x-windscreen-repair-kit-125108.html

Even cheaper

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rain-Windscreen-Repair-Kit-white/dp/B00IPS4APU

Thanks. If i was to leave it and just drive around would the crack get worse? wife is out and don't wanna tell her and won't be back till tomorrow lol

If it's a crack, then it will probably spread. Attempting a repair (if it is a crack) won't stop it. The windscreen is an integral part of the body and will experience twisting and bending. If it's a chip, then it can be filled, but never completely succesfully in my experience. You'll always know it's there and will be able to see it whenever you look for it. I know, because I've got a chip in my 'screen.

• Like 1

Bwaaa that's so cute! It's literally a miniature version of the one they used to fix my dad's windscreen! :laugh: 

If it's a crack and it's near an edge they do tend to spread over time, esp. summer/winter cycles and impacts like potholes. If it isn't they don't tend to spread on their own, but impacts or any kind of pressure or stress can suddenly trigger growth of the crack. Either way, if you have windscreen insurance, I'd consider using it!

A clean chip doesn't usually get worse unless they're bad enough to puncture the laminate or have caused fractures. You can sometimes ignore these for longer, but TBH it'd be worth getting it repaired just for peace of mind and also before any dust and pollen etc. gets into it. If you do try that cute little kit, take pictures so we can see how it turns out!

The important thing is to get some sort of vacuum over the chip so the resin flows into every tiny crack of the chip. If it's done right the resin should be very hard to distinguish. I've seen some real crap jobs where the resin's just been injected into the crack and trapped the air in it so you can still clearly see all the spidering around the crack (Although sometimes it's just not possible to avoid that depending on how it's cracked and how long it's been left for.)

Check your insurance, usually £10 for a chip fill, £100 to replace the screen, which is cheap especially if it has any Toyota gubbins in the screen ie cameras which probably need setting up again. A windscreen claim should not affect insurance premium.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Check your insurance, usually £10 for a chip fill, £100 to replace the screen, which is cheap especially if it has any Toyota gubbins in the screen ie cameras which probably need setting up again. A windscreen claim should not affect insurance premium.

Thanks for that. Do Toyota themselves replace the screen? 

6 minutes ago, sufy said:

Thanks for that. Do Toyota themselves replace the screen? 

I don’t know. The only outside business that I have heard has a good reputation is Autoglass. They did my chip 3 years ago. I know where it is, but not very noticeable to others.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Catlover said:

I don’t know. The only outside business that I have heard has a good reputation is Autoglass. They did my chip 3 years ago. I know where it is, but not very noticeable to others.

Might just go with them. How do chips occur anyway? cause not had one on my polo in 5 years and had this Yaris for nearly 2 years and already a chipped windscreen.

Most insurers will use a contractor such as Autoglass. Depending on your policy, you could use a Toyota dealer, but there may be a difference in excess or amount the insurer will cover if their approved contractor isn't used. Best check your policy.

Chips can be caused by stones, etc thrown up by other cars, etc.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Most insurers will use a contractor such as Autoglass. Depending on your policy, you could use a Toyota dealer, but there may be a difference in excess or amount the insurer will cover if their approved contractor isn't used. Best check your policy.

Chips can be caused by stones, etc thrown up by other cars, etc.

i took it to a manned car wash today and did a mini valet. They couldn't have done it could they?

12 minutes ago, sufy said:

i took it to a manned car wash today and did a mini valet. They couldn't have done it could they?

Doubt it, unless the screen was hit with the corner or edge something metal, and even then it would need to be done with a degree of force. 

It was probably done from debris (stone or similar) thrown up whilst driving.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links