Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rav-4 Parcel Shelf

InspectorGadget

Hello All

Having purchased a new RAV-4 diesel (5 door) in April this year, I have been very pleased with it, apart from one very annoying problem. Each and every time I push the rear parcel shelf up, the rubbers on it grip the rear pillars for a few seconds, enough time for me to get my head in the boot, then they lose grip and down comes the shelf. Ouch!!

I have contacted both the dealers and Toyota, but before posting their responses I am interested to hear what experiences other owners/users have, if any, with this.

ian

Hi InspectorGadget and welcome to TOC!

I have a 3 door which doesn't have a parcel shelf so i can't help you with the problem! :!Removed!:

Theres another member called SRC, he has a 5 door version, maybe he'll have some experience with it :thumbsup:

Kenny!

Hi all,

I too have a brand new Rav4 and find the parcel shelf equally frustrating!! :huh: Apart from that I'm really pleased with it - it's great fun to drive. :D

I'm sure someone must have found a way to cure this so would appreciate some help. :help:

Thanks,

Sssnake

Picked my 5 door up at the start of March this year and have the same problem with the parcel shelf dropping on my head :blink:

Love the car though, so much so, it's nearly ready for it's first trip for servicing :D

Yep same problem here, Poor design, If the hinge of the parcel shelf was stiffer the parcel shelf would stay up and not hit you or if the rubber catches on the side stuck out more or had ribs on the rubber stops it would have helped. Might take it up on my first service :)

Scott

Bought a RAV4 D4D in Jan 2003.

Same problem with parcel shelf.

Very little thought went into its design.

Well suited for midgets.

Will be interested to know if you have any rattle from the gear lever.

This is quite annoying if you have the RADIO off and doing 50+ mph.

I have been told by the dealer that Toyota is working on a solution for this rattle.

• 2 weeks later...

I just remove mine and set it aside, then reinstall after stowing my cargo. No complaints at all with my RAV, except that it won't pay for itself. :P

Ahhhhh - 4 day old Rav and experienced a knock on the head from the parcel shelf - ha, ha. I guess thats what they call a feature!

Ok, I want to know how many Rav owners are here - think I'll do a poll!

Yes you can tell a 2001-2004 RAV4 owners by the bump on the top of our skulls, It's such a crappy design the parcel shelf which I am suprised at, As those clever people in Japan are usually on the ball but this design must have been a late Friday or early Monday morning design.

• 9 months later...

I agree that the design of the shelf is c**p! So I've set about making my own. It isn't finished yet, but the basic design is done.

For details of what I've done, visit my Rav4 page:-

http://www.spips.co.uk/rav4

Cheers,

Phil

• 2 months later...

:thumbsup:

I have a new Granite and use it for work, I am very pleased with the car but must admit I also thought I was being mugged the first time it crashed me on the head

being a mean person and feeling £20000 was enough,I solved the problem easily.

I drilled a tiny hole in the plastic shelf on both sides on the underside of the shelf I then got 2 plastic writing pens papermate I recommend!!, I drilled tiny holes in the top of the pens, I then used 2 small cable ties and attached them to the shelf on both sides of the vehicle , when I lift the shelf, I rest the pens on the ledge AND IT STAYS UP!!

When the shelf is down the pens just hang down.

Normally I find 1 pen is enough to hold the shelf up.

Yes it is cheap and you can select the colour of the pen!!!!

The only damage is two tiny holes in the underside of plastic shelf edge, which you cannot see.been ok for 6 months!!!

Estimated grand total £1.

I have a new Granite and use it for work, I am very pleased with the car but must admit I also thought I was being mugged the first time it crashed me on the head

I drilled a tiny hole in the plastic shelf on both sides on the underside of the shelf  I then got  2 plastic writing pens papermate I recommend!!, I drilled tiny holes in the top of the pens, I then used 2 small cable ties and attached them to the shelf on both sides of the vehicle , when I lift the shelf, I rest the pens on the ledge AND IT STAYS UP!!

When the shelf is down the pens  just hang down.

The only damage is two tiny  holes in the underside of plastic shelf edge, which you cannot see.been ok for 6 months!!!

:D We should have a 'mod of the month' competition. With bonus points for simplicty and cost effectiveness. You would win hands down with this suggestion.

• 2 months later...

:)

I drilled a tiny hole in the plastic shelf on both sides on the underside of the shelf  I then got  2 plastic writing pens papermate I recommend!!, I drilled tiny holes in the top of the pens, I then used 2 small cable ties and attached them to the shelf on both sides of the vehicle , when I lift the shelf, I rest the pens on the ledge AND IT STAYS UP!!

The only damage is two tiny  holes in the underside of plastic shelf edge, which you cannot see.been ok for 6 months!!!

:D We should have a 'mod of the month' competition. With bonus points for simplicty and cost effectiveness. You would win hands down with this suggestion.

This must be the most discussed topic, I have sent two replies already but here is my way of saving cracked heads.

Lift the parcel shelf and pull it forward off the side support lugs.

Let it go back towards the rear seat headrests almost as far as it will go and then pivot it upwards.

The shelf should then stay upright.

I hope the explanaination is clear, try it, I am sure you will be able to work out what I am trying to suggeast.

Sorry about the earlier posting, still a bit unsure as to how to reply, hope this gets throuigh.

Cheers.

Roger.

You do not need to modify the shelf!

I have tried rogerrav`s fix & it works.

Open your rear door and assuming the parcel shelf is in the normal down position.

Lift the shelf up off the fixing slots as if you were about to fully open the shelf and then let it gently rest on the fixings again.

Then put both your hands undernieth the shelf so as you are slightly stretching your arms to either side of your back window at the point where the shelf pivots & slighty push/force the shelf off the pivot points (your shelf is now just connected to the roller/back seat fixings) Now just lift the front of your shelf towards the rear seats & it will tilt back & stay in this position! :yes: It`s quite exciting once you`ve done it for the first time!

To lower it just hold the top edge & lower towards yourself & at the same time pull the shelf towards you so as to locate back into the pivot points.

This might all seem complicated but I can assure you once you try it you will see what I`m trying to describe. :thumbsup:

No more bumps!

Regards

You do not need to modify the shelf!

I have tried rogerrav`s fix & it works.

Open your rear door and assuming the parcel shelf is in the normal down position.

Lift the shelf up off the fixing slots as if you were about to fully open the shelf and then let it gently rest on the fixings again.

Then put both your hands undernieth the shelf so as you are slightly stretching your arms to either side of your back window at the point where the shelf pivots & slighty push/force the shelf off the pivot points (your shelf is now just connected to the roller/back seat fixings) Now just lift the front of your shelf towards the rear seats & it will tilt back & stay in this position!  :yes:  It`s quite exciting once you`ve done it for the first time!

To lower it just hold the top edge & lower towards yourself & at the same time pull the shelf towards you so as to locate back into the pivot points.

This might all seem complicated but I can assure you once you try it you will see what I`m trying to describe.  :thumbsup:

No more bumps!

Regards

Might be easier if you could post image