Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Couple of observations after a few months ownership…

ernieb

Firstly, I’ve just changed the Speedo display from analogue to digital.  I’ve always been used to an analogue display but I’ve found that the one in the RAV4P to be difficult to read and does not have a 30mph maker. I could live without the marker but the disembodied display with just the outer segment and a broad white speed indicator fuzzy line does not immediately allow me to glance at it, I have to read it. (I hope that makes sense) so recently I’ve switched to the digital display, so much clearer and yes I have to read it but it’s so obvious and quick.  This also makes more space around the busy energy status data fields in the middle of the display.

Secondly, the RSA (road sign assist), when it works it’s good. However, it will often read a sign, e.g., 40mph, and the indicator will change to 40 but when the derestricted sign is displayed it does not ‘see’ that and will then buzz to say I’m over speeding. It can take miles of sign changes for it to sort itself out.  I’ve set the over speed alarm to +5mph as the speedo error is nearly 3 mph at 30mph, so +5mph is just over the real speed limit. (I’ve measure this against an external quality GPS) it can get very confused in the numerous 20mph roads where I live.

im not sure if any of this applies to the Hybrid version but will be interested to hear any comments fro PHEV owners?

Yup, agreed ...

The dealer tried to change my speedo to digital before I left the forecourt - I changed it as soon as I got home. Quite simply, and despite being accustomed to an analogue display, the RAVs digital speedo is clearer and far easier to read than its imitation of an analogue one.

I find RSA very useful as a reminder of what the current speed limit is - is this section a 30 or a 40 etc.? But equally it can 'miss' changes (often hidden in hedges) and can sometimes 'see' limits that don't apply to a particular section of road. To be fair, it works well most of the time ...

So, yes, these same considerations apply to the HEV as the PHEV ... 😉

Is it not possible to turn this off?  It's a perfect example of why I hate this stuff.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Yugguy1970 said:

Is it not possible to turn this off?  It's a perfect example of why I hate this stuff.

I think that you'll find having a speedometer is a legal requirement. Toyota give you a choice of a digital or analogue representation.

RSA can be disabled / switched off if you so wish.

@Yugguy1970, yes it can be turned off but when it works it is useful especially in an area I’m not particularly used too.  Mind you I’d probably just plug in the phone and use Waze and those limits are accurate and up to date.

Yes I meant the speed limit warning thing.

So on my current Focus I let it show what it thinks is the limit but it doesn't buzz me.

Hopefully the Rav will let me do the same?

I've found on the Corolla there are three choices for the RSA warnings, not on, on visually and on with warning beeps. I have mine set to the latter at the minute but it seems to be 'beeping' quite often so I may change it to 'on visually' as I get more used to the car.

14 minutes ago, Yugguy1970 said:

Yes I meant the speed limit warning thing.

So on my current Focus I let it show what it thinks is the limit but it doesn't buzz me.

Hopefully the Rav will let me do the same?

You'll be fine - the default is "display only". You could set a warning buzzer if you really wanted to but I haven't ... 🙂

• Like 2

……and you can set the over speed limit to 1mph, 3mph or 5mph.

• Like 1

My first car with a digital speedo was my Mk1 Yaris and I've never looked back - I'd still say that was a superior display to the current hybrids as it was not hidden behind the steering wheel and was focussed out in front of the car like a HUD, but shrouded so it didn't get blanked out by the sun, but the one on the Mk4 is at least clear and well contrasted, and the auto-brightness on the HUD works surprisingly well (Just wish it was polarized differently so I could wear my polarized shades without them filtering out the HUD as well!!)

Never understood why so many cars still used analogue dials... they are worse in every way! No wonder most drivers don't seem to know what speed they're going at!

As I’ve been driving for so many years my first option was the analogue display, I guess it’s what I’ve been used too.  However, happy enough with the digital option.

My wife had a Yaris with the same floating display.  We really liked it.    

• Like 1

I think I'll be using a digital display. Used that all the time on the 3008 hybrid4 GT and it worked out well. That used to provide a visual and a beep including a visual countdown to any speed cameras or traffic light cams. That system was one of few that worked really well on that car. Never got confused at any point. I think it was using the vision system and fusing that with the built in Tom Tom data.

Will probably switch the beeps off on the R4P if it doesn't work all of the time cus that's going to annoy the crap out of me.

Where does the visual warning appear?

24 minutes ago, Nick72 said:

Where does the visual warning appear?

On the multifunction display (through the steering wheel) - top left - the speed limit shows as a speed limit sign and it simply turns red if the limit is exceeded. Set speed for the cruise control is in the same position on the screen. It works just fine - pay attention or ignore it as one wishes.

You may also get it on the HUD - but I don't have one of those ... 😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, philip42h said:

On the multifunction display (through the steering wheel) - top left - the speed limit shows as a speed limit sign and it simply turns red if the limit is exceeded. Set speed for the cruise control is in the same position on the screen. It works just fine - pay attention or ignore it as one wishes.

You may also get it on the HUD - but I don't have one of those ... 😉

Thanks. Is it easy to spot atva glance or is it a tiny icon in amongst the clutter? 

I should have the HUD but god knows what exactly it will display. I've watched a few vids but they're north America and not sure what Toyota might have dropped out from the UK version 😂

It's a smallish icon that's not too difficult to spot ... 🙂

There's a picture of what you see in the HUD in the brochure:

image.png.e42482f06f46a6cc5e3f540974312cd5.png

which looks good to me ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, philip42h said:

It's a smallish icon that's not too difficult to spot ... 🙂

There's a picture of what you see in the HUD in the brochure:

image.png.e42482f06f46a6cc5e3f540974312cd5.png

which looks good to me ...

Thanks. Looking forward to trying it out. 

18 hours ago, Cyker said:

My first car with a digital speedo was my Mk1 Yaris and I've never looked back - I'd still say that was a superior display to the current hybrids as it was not hidden behind the steering wheel and was focussed out in front of the car like a HUD, but shrouded so it didn't get blanked out by the sun...

The first car I owned with a digital speedo was a Mk1 Yaris, but before the Yaris came out I had a couple of European Version Renault Twingo (they were never sold in the UK) hire cars on holidays which also had a central, digital speedo pod (not reflected like the Yaris but still excellent) - they also had sliding rear seats BTW - I rather suspect Toyota copied the format when they designed the original Yaris.

I too never wanted to go back, but I've also preferred digital displays from a young age - I always wanted one of the early digital watches where the numbers were on revolving wheels, but for my 21st birthday in 1977 I got a Seiko LCD digital watch, one the of first two watches available with Hours, Minutes & Seconds all in a single row (Accurist did the other).  IIRC it cost about £130 and had just 2 buttons - for a feeble backlight and to show the month and date in US format!

I also agree the original Yaris dash display was better than any current ones I've seen (I loved the torque curve RPM display too).

Apart from way outdated screen quality on both th4e RAV4 screens, they are both so badly affect by bright daylight even when it's not shining directly on them.  Another benefit on the digital speed display on the RAV4 is that it's at the top of the display which at least benefit from the small cowling and remains visible in just about all light levels, whereas the bottom half of the main dash display is often completely unreadable even though I've got the brightness at 80%.

• Like 2

Yeah, a friend was winding me up saying my next car would be french as they were the only people who did that sort of thing, so you might be right about Toyota copying the design!

To be fair, I think that would be a good partnership - Let the french design the car, and then let the japanese make it work properly :laugh: 

I've always liked the design quirks of french cars - Clever cantilevered door hinges, crazy flexible internal seat configurations, ergonomics, smart instrumentation etc. - I just can't bring myself to go near one as their electrics are so unreliable!! :laugh: 

I do miss those design quirks in the new Yaris models tho' - The Mk3 and Mk4 have nothing Yarisy about them, compared to the Mk1 and Mk2 - They just feel like normal cars. I used to joke the Mk3 was designed by Vauxhall :laugh: God knows who designed the Mk4, it's the complete opposite of the Mk1 and Mk2 - Where the Mk1 and Mk2 were quite cute but otherwise unremarkable to look at, the inside was very human-oriented, whereas the Mk4 has a very striking design on the outside, but the inside appears to have not designed for a normal human who has things like limbs and a spine :laugh: Literally the least comfortable Yaris I've owned... On the bright side maybe it'll encourage my friends to stop using me as a taxi... :laugh: 

I think the most flexible rear seat configuration for me was the Skoda Yeti, I could lift them out completely, reduced weight and very flat space.

• Like 1

None-the-less, the last 'proper' Yaris rear seat arrangement was pretty impressive.

On the second generation, each part of the 60/40 split rear seat could slid forwards/back to a different position, each section could be reclined separately or folded down separately.  The flexibility for passengers and/or various quantities and shapes of luggage was enormous, and rear headroom was very generous.  Four large adults could travel very comfortably as long as not too much boot space was needed.

As well as three gloveboxes (upper and lower passenger side and one on the driver's side), it also had a drawer under the front passenger seat.  I had the optional false boot floor which meant bits and pieces were out of sight and the boot was uncluttered.

I was excited to hear the 3rd generation would include a Hybrid model, as I'd had (at that time) first and second generation Prius Hybrids since 2002, although the larger Mk2 Prius was really much bigger than I needed.

I got an early test drive when the Hybrid came out and I was probably more disappointed with it than any car I've ever considered.  I was happy enough with the front seat accommodation and the way it drove, but the tiny single glove-box alone made the car very undesirable.  Gone were the flexible rear seats, modern instruments, false boot floor option and the under-seat drawer.  Worse still, the rear roofline was much lower; I found it extremely hard to get in the back and impossible to sit upright when I did, plus it felt claustrophobe and my knees were sticking into the back of the front seat.

So I progressed to a Gen 3 Prius (which was surprisingly more economical than a Hybrid Yaris!) then Gen 4 Prius.  The latter was in most ways the best car I'd even had, but I was very sad to have to part with it as, in pursuit of better aerodynamics they'd made the car very low (which also afflicts the latest Yaris and Corolla) to the extent that after a year I started having massive problems with my hips, knees and back.  Switching to a RAV4 Hybrid completely cured the painful joints within 3 months but in every other respect I really don't like it anywhere near as much as I loved the Prius (once comfortable inside it).

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ernieb said:

I think the most flexible rear seat configuration for me was the Skoda Yeti, I could lift them out completely, reduced weight and very flat space.

I loved my two Yeti's but switching to the RAV4 showed how old the design really was. In particular how narrow the vehicle was and the way the protruding cills caught the back of your calf when entering the vehicle - worse when you had a mobility issue as my wife has.

• Like 1

I had three Yetis in total and really liked the design overall.  However, the RAV4 is different again and although I’ve only owned it a short while it’s a keeper.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cyker said:

Yeah, a friend was winding me up saying my next car would be french as they were the only people who did that sort of thing, so you might be right about Toyota copying the design!

To be fair, I think that would be a good partnership - Let the french design the car, and then let the japanese make it work properly :laugh: 

I've always liked the design quirks of french cars - Clever cantilevered door hinges, crazy flexible internal seat configurations, ergonomics, smart instrumentation etc. - I just can't bring myself to go near one as their electrics are so unreliable!! :laugh: 

I do miss those design quirks in the new Yaris models tho' - The Mk3 and Mk4 have nothing Yarisy about them, compared to the Mk1 and Mk2 - They just feel like normal cars. I used to joke the Mk3 was designed by Vauxhall :laugh: God knows who designed the Mk4, it's the complete opposite of the Mk1 and Mk2 - Where the Mk1 and Mk2 were quite cute but otherwise unremarkable to look at, the inside was very human-oriented, whereas the Mk4 has a very striking design on the outside, but the inside appears to have not designed for a normal human who has things like limbs and a spine :laugh: Literally the least comfortable Yaris I've owned... On the bright side maybe it'll encourage my friends to stop using me as a taxi... :laugh: 

Loved the Peugeot 3008 hybrid4 GT 300. Lush interior, icockpit was superb, integrated Tom Tom superb, power balance across the 2 off 110plus hp emotors superb for traction and putting power down, regularly 0 to 60 in 5.4s even in the wet, fold plat front passenger seat was brilliant for resting your Maccy Ds on and laptop when travelling on business and for fitting a tree into the car (yes, a 10ft plus acer). Plus rear lever controlled rear seats so no faff when loading, great little features for storage, perfect driving position for me at 6ft2 200lbs, etc.

But alas everything else was utterly stupid, most unreliable car I ever owned even if I add up all other cars across 31 years, and just a general disaster. Plagued by major hybrid system issues, constant recalls, leaking pan roof still went unfixed after 4 or 5 different attempts, strange hesitation on take off and power loss at random etc etc. That is almost bearable if the manufacturer is receptive and helpful. But they were completely unresponsive and in denial with the dealership. Emails, letters, phone calls, web forms. On one issue it took 3 months before someone got in touch and just to say they were going to take a look. 

Never ever buy a French car was my conclusion. Sure let them design the aesthetics and features but don't let them anywhere near the engineering. Leave that to the Japanese, Swedes, and ze Germans. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nick72 said:

...most unreliable car I ever owned even if I add up all other cars across 31 years, and just a general disaster...   ...that is almost bearable if the manufacturer is receptive and helpful. But they were completely unresponsive and in denial with the dealership...

[Warning - OFF TOPIC, but interesting debate all the same - hope OP (and mods) don't mind too much]

I know what you mean.  In the 1990s I chose a Volvo as my company car - I'd always hoped to have one one day and regarded them very highly.  Like Nick's car, it was a disaster, with three horrendous quality issues on delivery one of which could have rendered the whole braking system inoperative if I'd triggered the ABS at speed.  Over the next three years it needed to go to the dealer on average about once a month.

BUT in my case there was a salvation: the local dealer was absolutely brilliant (even though they hadn't supplied the car) and made a nightmare of a car seem almost tolerable.  I didn't get home from London until 7 or 8 in the evening, and every time they would arrive at my house with a loan car after 8 and take mine away.  When it was fixed, they'd return after 8 and swap back, leaving me with my car fixed and very thoroughly valeted.  I used to quip to my company's fleet manager that the car almost never lasted long enough between faults that I needed to pay for a valet!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1