Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auris hybrid in storage

IAN ROLFE

I travel a lot and have just bought a 2018 toyota auris hybrid. So, when  leave my other toyotas, a corolla 2018 1.4 and a Hilux 2.8 for several months at a time, I use a trickle charger and go away for months. What should I do with this Hybrid? It will be standing for 3/4 months at a time.

I would recommend you buy another Battery charger, a slow charger like a CTEK 5 will look after it.

Thanks. is this a charger specific to hybrid batteries. I ask this because the trickle charger is designed to be a slow charge, with protection against overcharge. Where would I buy a CTEK 5 from in the UK. I'm actually ion Portugal but should be able to order online.

You are not charging the hybrid Battery, it is the 12v. In hybrids cars the 12v is a small capacity and will be in the boot area so it will be an AGM type Battery for safety reasons. There is no starter motor on Toyota hybrid (no alternator, no clutch-you probably know that). The 12v has to charge up brake pressure and kick in the computer bits to light up the dash etc, so it does not need a lot of power. Having said that, during COVID lockdown and the cold winter weather, due to lack of use 12v batteries were going flat. The CTEK5 Battery charger is slow charge and suitable for AGM and normal “wet” type acid batteries. It’s a very clever charger, Swedish I think. A good supplier, where I got mine from, is TAYNA.co.uk. They supply batteries as well from their depot in north Wales. Tel number  01745 823399. 

• Like 2

That’s right, only maintain charge on the 12v Battery with trickle charger and for the hybrid Battery just make sure has a at least half charge before leaving the car.  👍

The connection point is inside the fusebox under the bonnet, there's a red cover over a metal blade which is the positive point, and negative is just to a nearby bolt or bracket on the bodywork. No need to access the Battery itself