Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Starter motor maybe....?

SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS

Guys,

I'm experiencing the odd starting issue regardless of cold or warm, I'm thinking it's the starter motor, an easy swap from old to new, however how I can determine it is that? The Battery is a brand new Bosch s4 installed fairly recent whilst dealing with my gearbox woes, for those that know me will be familiar with those issues I'm sure!

So what do you think guys? Should I replace the starter? Or wait till it dies completely? Do they warn you before dying or will it be sudden death?

Cheers

Sammy

I would check the earthing points first and the connections to the starter motor before condemning the starter.

when you say starting issues I assume you mean the motor is failing to turn the engine over ie just a clicking of the solenoid.

2 hours ago, Rosgoe said:

I would check the earthing points first and the connections to the starter motor before condemning the starter.

when you say starting issues I assume you mean the motor is failing to turn the engine over ie just a clicking of the solenoid.

Hi,

Good point, I'll check the earthing points first.

Actually no, I don't hear any clicking solenoid sounds, the engine is simply a little hesitant to turn over for a short period, say 3 turns of the ignition and starts on the 4th! Hmmmm, if its not the starter what could it be?

It's a pre-engaged starter which means that the starter motor doesn't get energised until the gear on the starter motor is first engaged with the teeth on the flywheel.

If this isn't happening straight away then it could be due to build up of dirt/grease/WHY on the pre-engage mechanism, so after checking the electrical connections (Battery to body, Battery to starter & engine to body) then it might be worth checking the condition of the pre-engage mechanism by removing the starter and testing on the bench before condemning the starter.

2 hours ago, PetrolDave said:

It's a pre-engaged starter which means that the starter motor doesn't get energised until the gear on the starter motor is first engaged with the teeth on the flywheel.

If this isn't happening straight away then it could be due to build up of dirt/grease/WHY on the pre-engage mechanism, so after checking the electrical connections (battery to body, battery to starter & engine to body) then it might be worth checking the condition of the pre-engage mechanism by removing the starter and testing on the bench before condemning the starter.

Cheers Petroldave, interesting reading indeed and to act upon, much appreciated 

• 2 weeks later...

@SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS I have to say, I don’t think I have ever known anyone who seems to have the kind of bad luck you have with your Aygo - both in the frequency and regularity you seem too.

Want to buy mine 🤣 It has the benefit of Toyota Extended warranty until 07/2022, has been over serviced in its life and been in our ownership from brand new. 

She's not actually unlucky, she just has a lot more mechanical sympathy than most people - A lot of these 'problems', most drivers just ignore them until the car suddenly stops working one day. I think if more people took this attitude of, "hmm that's a weird sound/thing that didn't happen before, perhaps I should investigate", they wouldn't keep having to close the M25 every day because their car broke down and there is no hard shoulder and the smart motorways aren't :laugh: 

On 8/29/2021 at 10:43 PM, ihpj said:

@SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS I have to say, I don’t think I have ever known anyone who seems to have the kind of bad luck you have with your Aygo - both in the frequency and regularity you seem too.

Want to buy mine 🤣 It has the benefit of Toyota Extended warranty until 07/2022, has been over serviced in its life and been in our ownership from brand new. 

Hi, at first she was very reliable I'd say for the first few years of ownership and then it suddenly started all going wrong, fingers crossed all seems okay now.

On 8/30/2021 at 12:29 AM, Cyker said:

She's not actually unlucky, she just has a lot more mechanical sympathy than most people - A lot of these 'problems', most drivers just ignore them until the car suddenly stops working one day. I think if more people took this attitude of, "hmm that's a weird sound/thing that didn't happen before, perhaps I should investigate", they wouldn't keep having to close the M25 every day because their car broke down and there is no hard shoulder and the smart motorways aren't :laugh: 

Cheers for the back up Cyker, I agree, prevention is better than a break down, I know that day will come when she will have to be put to sleep though oneday sadly, I guess like anything in life.