Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Best Driving Setting Mode On The New Toyota Yaris Hybrid?

Georgey Porgey

Hi All.

I purchased a new Toyota Yaris Hybrid Dynamic for my wife.

She is a carer & go to people houses to attend there needs.

She mainly using on local roads & up to 30miles daily.

What is the best mode setting for her car?

Car delivery is October 2021.

Leave it in normal drive and let the technology determine otherwise........and...............oh, read the Handbook.

• Like 1

A career, so I assume short journeys making up the 30 miles. I would go Eco mode and gain the benefit of the hybrid Battery economy.

• Like 1

I tend to drive in Eco mode as it gives the accelerator a bit more fine control at low speeds, but higher up the accelerator it gets more insensitive and tends to jump from gentle cruise to ALL THE BEANS with less in between than the other modes. If you're trying to get it to run on Battery as much as possible it's easier to keep the bar in the first Eco segment in eco mode

TBH, I'd say leave it on normal and just get used to it before you start messing with the other modes. TBH they're mostly just a gimmick - maximum acceleration is the same in all three, it just changes the pedal response (i.e. have to press it more to get the same acceleration in eco than you do in normal, and normal needs more than power etc. but as you get closer to the top they all catch up with each other anyway)

One nice thing of Eco, and why I started using it, is it also sets the AC to Eco mode, which I find lets it run for ~10 minutes for each block of the Battery above 3 without needing to turn the engine on if you're stationary. Good for traffic jams on hot days! Then I noticed there was a button for turning Eco AC mode on on the actual HVAC controls... so you can still do that in normal mode it turned out...

Unfortunately I've gotten too used to Eco mode by then, and tended to press the pedal far too hard in Normal mode, so I just leave it in Eco mode now! :laugh: 

• Like 1

Just leave it in normal until you/she gets used to it and then play with the drive settings.

But honestly all they do is change the throttle response.

• Like 1

It's one of those things that other makers fit, so all makers have to do it as well or customers will see a gap in their feature comparison lists.

Shift paddles seem to be similar 'must haves', but after a few weeks ownership most never get used again - because, as @john p williams alludes above, you've paid for a piper ... and quickly find that he knows how to play a tune without you interfering ... mostly 🙂

• Like 1