Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Car doesn't want to start - Battery already replaced

priusnoob

Hi

I didn't use my car over the weekend however I did use it prior to that. I've got a new Battery in my car too, and the car still doesn't want to start. Can anyone help?

Thanks 

Any other problems of any sort before the weekend?                 
Why is there a new Battery fitted?                
You going to need to check the Battery fitted is healthy and supplying power.              
Do you have a Battery charger?                
Are you a member of a rescue company ie Start Rescue, AA, Greenflag etc that you subscribe to with home start being an option.?

5 hours ago, Catlover said:

Any other problems of any sort before the weekend?                 
Why is there a new battery fitted?                
You going to need to check the battery fitted is healthy and supplying power.              
Do you have a battery charger?                
Are you a member of a rescue company ie Start Rescue, AA, Greenflag etc that you subscribe to with home start being an option.?

None tbh. Though I did leave something into my 12V thing but not sure 

The Battery kept depleting so I thought it was the battery 

I don't have a Battery charger and I'm subscribed to auto aid but unsure how many callouts I'm allowed. I only called them a couple of weeks ago 😞

You only called them a couple weeks ago……… for the same problem????

5 hours ago, Catlover said:

You only called them a couple weeks ago……… for the same problem????

Yup. I got a new Battery not long after. Could it be the alternator? I last drove it on Friday 

Just now, priusnoob said:

Yup. I got a new battery not long after. Could it be the alternator? I last drove it on Friday 

You have not got an alternator,  nor a starter motor,  nor a clutch. Items you expect in a car, they have gone because you have a Toyota hybrid. The 12v Battery in the boot is charged from the big hybrid Battery which is under you rear seat. Basically it’s a no go area there, high voltage cables, but it only charges the 12v Battery when the car is in ready mode ie all dash lights on or car moving.

You got to be looking for a drain somewhere, a light not switching off for example, the boot light possibly, vanity mirror light, what did you leave in the  “12v thing”? Presumably you mean the auxiliary socket, previously known as a cigarette lighter. It’s a possibility. 
I would think most breakdown rescue companies will visit for genuine breakdowns but if it’s a regular problem that is not being rectified by the vehicle owner they may clamp down. So if you can’t start the car and it is always a flat battery they may apply stipulations (in their terms) or decline to cover you in the future.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Catlover said:

You have not got an alternator,  nor a starter motor,  nor a clutch. Items you expect in a car, they have gone because you have a Toyota hybrid. The 12v battery in the boot is charged from the big hybrid battery which is under you rear seat. Basically it’s a no go area there, high voltage cables, but it only charges the 12v battery when the car is in ready mode ie all dash lights on or car moving.

You got to be looking for a drain somewhere, a light not switching off for example, the boot light possibly, vanity mirror light, what did you leave in the  “12v thing”? Presumably you mean the auxiliary socket, previously known as a cigarette lighter. It’s a possibility. 
I would think most breakdown rescue companies will visit for genuine breakdowns but if it’s a regular problem that is not being rectified by the vehicle owner they may clamp down. So if you can’t start the car and it is always a flat battery they may apply stipulations (in their terms) or decline to cover you in the future.

Thanks. Last time they didn't take it to a garage in fairness 

I can’t find much on Auto Aid, is it a breakdown service? All I can see is a garage in Sheffield.        
What you going to do next? Somehow you going to need to get life into the car and that will only come via a Battery source.

3 hours ago, Catlover said:

I can’t find much on Auto Aid, is it a breakdown service? All I can see is a garage in Sheffield.        
What you going to do next? Somehow you going to need to get life into the car and that will only come via a battery source.

It's a nationwide breakdown service. Frequently covered here 

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/breakdown-cover/

Also that is true indeed. I guess I could maybe get them to revive it on the Saturday and then get a relative to look at it? 

If AutoAid, or whoever, get the car going you need to do 1) check the car is charging the Battery. 2) as you no Battery charger, leave the car engine running (if safe and secure to do so) or take it on a long run., not necessarily fast, but a long run, for at least an hour, leaving all electrics switched off ie radio, air con,air blower etc.           
If you are running the car when stationary, the engine may run occasional to top up the big hybrid Battery so it can charge the 12V battery. That depends on the bars shown on you dash hybrid battery gauge. Should only be for a couple minutes then shut off and repeat when the computer calls for it to do it again. So have plenty petrol in the tank. Let it run for at least an hour.            
You will have to be careful, leave it for a few days and it may go flat again. We got fairly warm weather at the moment, it’s was cold together with lockdown that was affecting batteries last winter. But even summer, unless the battery is in very good condition, the car needs using regularly.

My advice: subscribe to Amazon prime, buy ctek charger and a multimeter next day delivery, charge your new Battery overnight, measure the voltage after unlocking the car before start and after start (ready mode) Battery should be charging with around 14.4v,  then turn off the car and make sure all electric consumers are switched off, see if voltage dropped, you likely have some devices permanently on that drain your 12v Battery. Do search helpful videos on YouTube how to and deal with the problem yourself. Rescue guys are not the ones who should take care to find an existing problem, they will come jump start your car and leave you on your own.
Good luck 👍

• Like 1

What are the problems you are having ? - the car doesn't have a traditional alternator

Any lights on the dash ? Have you tried to put the car in ready mode by placing the fob on the start button - foot on the brake and press the button (you should hear the steering lock release)

Is the car in Park ?

Did they fit an AGM Battery ?

If the car is dead - dead, usually the central locking will not work

4 hours ago, flash22 said:

What are the problems you are having ? - the car doesn't have a traditional alternator

Any lights on the dash ? Have you tried to put the car in ready mode by placing the fob on the start button - foot on the brake and press the button (you should hear the steering lock release)

Is the car in Park ?

Did they fit an AGM battery ?

Zero lights and they fitted a lithium Battery . It is in park, too

I haven't however tried what you've just said by putting the fob on the start button. It's dead, dead 

8 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

My advice: subscribe to Amazon prime, buy ctek charger and a multimeter next day delivery, charge your new battery overnight, measure the voltage after unlocking the car before start and after start (ready mode) battery should be charging with around 14.4v,  then turn off the car and make sure all electric consumers are switched off, see if voltage dropped, you likely have some devices permanently on that drain your 12v battery. Do search helpful videos on YouTube how to and deal with the problem yourself. Rescue guys are not the ones who should take care to find an existing problem, they will come jump start your car and leave you on your own.
Good luck 👍

I'm already subscribed to prime though I don't feel particularly comfortable messing with that sorta stuff myself 

Would it be worth, getting it started up again by breakdown on the weekend and driving it to a relative who'd know more about it? 

I say a relative but my aunty's husband 

15 minutes ago, priusnoob said:

I'm already subscribed to prime though I don't feel particularly comfortable messing with that sorta stuff myself 

Would it be worth, getting it started up again by breakdown on the weekend and driving it to a relative who'd know more about it? 

I say a relative but my aunty's husband 

Well that’s also an option, but if you have prime you can get a ctek charger and fully charge the Battery and do the measurements together with your relative, you will get also a second opinion from him. The charger is handy if you don’t drive a lot everyday, many forum members has one , lockdowns proof we need it, I personally haven’t got one yet but I am a regular long distance driver and no need one for now.  If your new Battery needs only a good charge then the charger will save you buying a new Battery again. Usually once the battery soc is low it’s almost impossible to recover back to normal without been connected to an external charger. 👍

• Like 1

Hi Waqas, when you say your relative knows more then you, is he conversant with Toyota hybrids. He may think, right we will start with the alternator, but like I said early on, your Toyota hybrid is not a standard car, it doesn’t have an alternator.  Apart from the big hybrid Battery having high voltage cables there is a unit under the bonnet, an inverter, which is high volts as well. Safe in it’s normal state but I wouldn’t go disconnecting cables going in or out from it. If you were somewhere near in Cheshire I would come along and get that 12v Battery up and running for you, but Yorkshire is much to far for me.

Do you use the vehicle regularly?  If you don’t, come winter it could happen again, the 12v going flat.

15 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Hi Waqas, when you say your relative knows more then you, is he conversant with Toyota hybrids. He may think, right we will start with the alternator, but like I said early on, your Toyota hybrid is not a standard car, it doesn’t have an alternator.  Apart from the big hybrid battery having high voltage cables there is a unit under the bonnet, an inverter, which is high volts as well. Safe in it’s normal state but I wouldn’t go disconnecting cables going in or out from it. If you were somewhere near in Cheshire I would come along and get that 12v battery up and running for you, but Yorkshire is much to far for me.

Do you use the vehicle regularly?  If you don’t, come winter it could happen again, the 12v going flat.

I'm actually moving to (historic) Cheshire once my mortgage goes through in Staly 

He's certainly a mechanic that's dealt with my car before and if not, someone else he knows can do it at a reasonable price 

Also tbh I used it daily except for the weekend.. 

28 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Well that’s also an option, but if you have prime you can get a ctek charger and fully charge the battery and do the measurements together with your relative, you will get also a second opinion from him. The charger is handy if you don’t drive a lot everyday, many forum members has one , lockdowns proof we need it, I personally haven’t got one yet but I am a regular long distance driver and no need one for now.  If your new battery needs only a good charge then the charger will save you buying a new battery again. Usually once the battery soc is low it’s almost impossible to recover back to normal without been connected to an external charger. 👍

Is there an easy way of doing anything? I can't even open the boot to get to the battery 

5 hours ago, flash22 said:

Is the car in Park ?

Did they fit an AGM battery ?

Tried the fob on start thing and foot down on brake, nothing happened. Tried this too. No lights unfortunately 

47 minutes ago, priusnoob said:

I'm actually moving to (historic) Cheshire once my mortgage goes through in Staly 

He's certainly a mechanic that's dealt with my car before and if not, someone else he knows can do it at a reasonable price 

Also tbh I used it daily except for the weekend.. 

Well, thats all sounding good.

So, do we have to wait until weekend for the next episode??  😀

What part of Cheshire are you moving to?

6 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Well, thats all sounding good.

So, do we have to wait until weekend for the next episode??  😀

What part of Cheshire are you moving to?

Haha I guess so. Well, it's historic Cheshire anyway. These days it's 'greater Manchestah' in Stalybridge. 

It's only 15 minutes s away from the city centre by train and even quicker once escooters are legalised because then you could use your escooter to get to and from the station . Only 40 minutes away to Leeds too  by train 

36 minutes ago, Trewithy said:

Try replacing the battery in the key fob.

I've got another key fob. I'll give that a shot

My imagination running wild here....... picturing you flying along the A57 on your eScooter.......then the Battery goes flat.

Apologies, I couldn't resist it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3