Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Car doesn't want to start - Battery already replaced

priusnoob

4 minutes ago, Catlover said:

My imagination running wild here....... picturing you flying along the A57 on your eScooter.......then the battery goes flat.

Apologies, I couldn't resist it.

Only 15.5Mph mind! I do have an ebike but I'm currently commuting from one city to the other, and guarding the bike gets in the way of nap time given I'm currently waking up at stupid o clock 

At least escooters are more foldable, and you can take them into shops which is the biggy. It also means I can park my car right near Ashbury's Station, pay like £1.50 in fuel and go straight into the city centre for a much more reasonable price (ie:pennies) 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Trewithy said:

Try replacing the battery in the key fob.

Just tried the other fob, and no dice unfortunately 

30 minutes ago, priusnoob said:

Only 15.5Mph mind! I do have an ebike but I'm currently commuting from one city to the other, and guarding the bike gets in the way of nap time given I'm currently waking up at stupid o clock 

At least escooters are more foldable, and you can take them into shops which is the biggy. It also means I can park my car right near Ashbury's Station, pay like £1.50 in fuel and go straight into the city centre for a much more reasonable price (ie:pennies) 

E scooters are greatest invention after Toyota hybrids seriously, sadly have a bad reputation because of circumstances around. Not sure if they ever become legal though. 

• Like 2

If you want to trickle-charge the Battery, some people attach fly leads directly to it, but it is a bit of a ball ache to get at as you say; You could also use the jump-start points under the bonnet - There should be a positive terminal in the fuse box (It's red and marked with a big + that people always seem to somehow miss :laugh: ) that you could connect it to, but you need to be damned careful that it won't short if you do it there as it doesn't have the clamping post to secure it to like the actual Battery does.

If you 'jump' it using that terminal you can at least see if the car will start, so you know one way or another if it is Battery related. Hopefully that's all it is and you can get the battery replaced under warranty, and/or maybe get an auto-electrician to try and figure out why it's being drained so quickly. (One common culprit is storing the key too close to the car at home, as it will continuously ping it - Those radio transmitters drain a lot of power if they're always on!)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Cyker said:

If you want to trickle-charge the battery, some people attach fly leads directly to it, but it is a bit of a ball ache to get at as you say; You could also use the jump-start points under the bonnet - There should be a positive terminal in the fuse box (It's red and marked with a big + that people always seem to somehow miss :laugh: ) that you could connect it to, but you need to be damned careful that it won't short if you do it there as it doesn't have the clamping post to secure it to like the actual battery does.

If you 'jump' it using that terminal you can at least see if the car will start, so you know one way or another if it is battery related. Hopefully that's all it is and you can get the battery replaced under warranty, and/or maybe get an auto-electrician to try and figure out why it's being drained so quickly. (One common culprit is storing the key too close to the car at home, as it will continuously ping it - Those radio transmitters drain a lot of power if they're always on!)

Tbh my keys are in a Faraday pouch thing 

12 hours ago, priusnoob said:

I've got another key fob. I'll give that a shot

Try replacing the Battery in the other key fob as well, the replacement batteries usually come in packs of two.  It is such a cheap and simple thing to do and would eliminate a potential source of the problem.  

• Like 1

With regards to what is flattening your battery:

Your car is a parallel (grey) import, isn't it?

If it is, what are you using as a radio etc?  I'm taking a guess here, is it a locally-fitted unbranded unit?

If so, then I would be considering that unit as the possible 12v Battery drain.  Perhaps it's not installed correctly, or it's gone wrong.  It could be drawing plenty of power even when switched off, or even stopping other, largely unrelated, ECUs in the car from going fully into 'sleep' mode, which will increase the drain on the Battery when the car is left parked up.

• Like 2

If the key fob Battery is depleted, the indicator light does not flash when the switches on the key are pressed.  Can you confirm whether the little red light on your fob lights when any of the buttons are pressed?

2019789561_Keyfob.thumb.png.7576ac8c9201a87497f8adba0c64bcfc.png

18 hours ago, Cyker said:

(One common culprit is storing the key too close to the car at home, as it will continuously ping it - Those radio transmitters drain a lot of power if they're always on!)

I'm not sure where this idea came from.  The repair manuals states:

Power saving function

• When the doors are locked, the door electrical key oscillators emit signals to the outside of the vehicle at default intervals. To avoid depleting the auxiliary Battery, the system has a power saving function whereby: 1) after 5 days without a response from the key, the system extends door electrical key oscillator signal intervals; and 2) after 14 days without a response from the key, the system deactivates the smart key system.
  • When the doors are locked and the key is located within the vehicle exterior detection area, the key and door electrical key oscillators are maintaining communication and using power. To avoid depleting the key Battery and auxiliary battery, if the key is located within the vehicle exterior detection area for longer than 10 minutes, the system deactivates the smart key system.

7 hours ago, Gerg said:

If it is, what are you using as a radio etc?  I'm taking a guess here, is it a locally-fitted unbranded unit?

If so, then I would be considering that unit as the possible 12v battery drain.  Perhaps it's not installed correctly, or it's gone wrong.  It could be drawing plenty of power even when switched off, or even stopping other, largely unrelated, ECUs in the car from going fully into 'sleep' mode, which will increase the drain on the battery when the car is left parked up.

Yeah, my suspicion would be parasitic drain caused by something like this, or maybe improper removal of wiring for other aftermarket devices e.g. ETC card reader (toll card system common in Japan), Dashcam, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the late reply guys. I've finally taken this to my auntie's husband. It appears that my rear dash cam is completely draining the Battery. Halfords didn't install it properly - It's supposed to only come on when it's got some power to it

In addition, the guy who installed my Battery didn't allow me to keep the old one 😞
That other Battery was probably fine too 

At least it's lithium I guess.

On 8/17/2021 at 10:17 AM, Gerg said:

If so, then I would be considering that unit as the possible 12v battery drain.  Perhaps it's not installed correctly, or it's gone wrong.  It could be drawing plenty of power even when switched off, or even stopping other, largely unrelated, ECUs in the car from going fully into 'sleep' mode, which will increase the drain on the battery when the car is left parked up.

According to my "uncle" ie: my aunty's husband, it's because Halfords didn't wire up my !Removed! rear camera up properly. I didn't really notice that as an issue when I was driving to and from work every day. Now I do, that I'm using public transport. 

On 8/16/2021 at 8:30 PM, Catlover said:

My imagination running wild here....... picturing you flying along the A57 on your eScooter.......then the battery goes flat.

Apologies, I couldn't resist it.

Included the other bit now. I've also got my "uncle" to hopefully install the cruise control thingy, and then I'll have to have a word with Halford. If they don't sort it out (for free), I'll complain further up the chain.

Huh, if it's a reversing camera, sounds like they somehow wired it into the permanent-12v instead of the reverse light circuit. If it's a dash cam I don't know how they messed that up as it's supposed to be wired into the front camera, not 12v directly!

@Joseph D - That would be several years of speculation from early Auris owners on this forum who traced that to be the problem! :laugh:  I suspect the 10 minute time limit was only introduced on later cars and/or firmwares

16 minutes ago, Cyker said:

@Joseph D - That would be several years of speculation from early Auris owners on this forum who traced that to be the problem! :laugh:  I suspect the 10 minute time limit was only introduced on later cars and/or firmwares

Personal experience with Avensis:

2007 conventional remote key - fob batteries lasted years

2012 with keyless entry/ smart fob - batteries wouldn't make it to a year

2017 conventional remote key - fob batteries last years again ...

17 hours ago, Cyker said:

Well no, it was in the second gen Prius, so they must have dropped the ball in the third gen (and others of that time period).  At least they fixed it for the fourth gen.  😜

On 8/30/2021 at 10:21 PM, Cyker said:

Huh, if it's a reversing camera, sounds like they somehow wired it into the permanent-12v instead of the reverse light circuit. If it's a dash cam I don't know how they messed that up as it's supposed to be wired into the front camera, not 12v directly!

Yup. The guy from Halfords was adamant that it was wired in correctly, and I called bs given that I've replaced the Battery too. So now I've got an appointment for them to check it over. I mean, I only got Halfords to do it, as their wefit fee was only £30, but it's obviously cost more in the long term...

Sometimes it's not just the Battery that contribute to the starting problem. You should check the ignition switch and so as its fuses. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links