Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Regarding my car noise, garage couldn't find anything wrong with it

Mike 2121

I've known the garage for years, it's a good garage but they couldn't find anything wrong with it, I'm sure I'm not hearing things, but somethings not right.

It's hard to explain noises, it's not loud, it's like a quiet, mild spade scraping on the floor, happens about twenty percent of a journey I do.

So basically the garage are saying that famous saying, ' don't fix it until it's breaks'  but as you know, on cars, when it brakes it could be too late eg when a cambelt snaps and smashes the engine lol.

My mechanic suggested recording it on my phone but it's not loud enough, I don't think, to record it

Where abouts on the car is it coming from?

Is it only there when moving, or can you hear it when stationary?

Does it ever get louder?

or the tone change?

• Like 1

Check exhaust heat shields all along the exhaust pipes, silencers, cat converter and exhaust manifold, also exhaust brackets. Often these parts get rusted and loose causing all sort of vibrations and scraping noises which arenn no present from time to time as you describe. 
Good luck 

• Like 3

Hmmm... for 10 points I'm going to guess loose exhaust heat shield or slightly bent brake disc heat shield!

Edit: Damnit Tony sniped me while I was typing! :laugh: 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Hmmm... for 10 points I'm going to guess loose exhaust heat shield or slightly bent brake disc heat shield!

Edit: Damnit Tony sniped me while I was typing! :laugh: 

Done it quick and was reading your post in Corolla about the engines 😊👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was distracted by your and catlover's posts about escooters! :laugh: 

• Thanks 1

Yes there is rust underneath car, the thing is, when My mechanic phoned me mid morning to say he couldn't find anything, I reminded him about the rust underneath, he knows this because he put a sort of advisory in the service paper when he serviced it at Xmas .

I'm Not very good with cars so if he has said he's looked, I can't really demand look again.

Dunno what to do, also even though the noise is not loud, I can slightly feel it as well as hear it lol.

I suppose the main dealer toyota would charge me a fortune to diagnose it ?

It happens both stationary and moving, so can't be wheels or brakes lol

When I had my Corolla TSport I once  had a faint rattly 'noise' that appeared at certain speeds and on certain surfaces. I traced it to a single piece of gravel resting on the exhaust heatshield plate. Of course then the question of how to remove it, you could see it but couldn't reach it. I think I blasted it with the hosepipe nozzle.  

• Like 1